Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 07:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLMjHy12eWo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLMjHy12eWo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

the real magic begins ~ 0:52s
Old 05-06-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Wow..I think he was the original "Ziggy Spacedust"...I mean he was out, out, out there.

note..yea it was 'Stardust" but for him...Spacedust seems more fitting...because he had to be on something else not found on this planet.
Old 05-06-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ugh, I want to forget about that version
Old 05-06-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ziggy Stardust without the songs.
Old 05-06-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you write off Arthur as a joke and novelty act. I doubt many have even listened to his first album produced by Kit Lambert and Pete Townshend. It's worth hearing at least once.

I don't get the whole Ziggy Stardust thing unless it's just a joke I guess. Alice Cooper might be better maybe since I know he influenced him. He had the theatrical stage show going long before Alice Cooper, Kiss and whoever else. He is one of the pioneers of this along with Screaming Jay Hawkins and Lord Sutch. He used to do the whole fire helmet thing on stage circa '67 at the UFO club appearing alongside Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, etc.

the video above is not his prime at all

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOErZuzZpS8">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOErZuzZpS8" />
</object>

Last edited by statcat; 05-06-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Was a Pete Townshend protege'

I bought a record from a used record shop way back when and there was a 45 inside that I dont think the store was aware of. it was Fire. loved it wish I still had it.

Pete did a cover of Fire on his Iron Man album, that album was based on the book that the Iron Giant was based on.
Old 05-15-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to get into "Fire," since I saw it peaked as high as No.2 in 1968....there's the rare occasion that I don't like an old song that was a Top 5 hit in the late 1960's, but this was one of those occasions. As much as I try, I can't enjoy this song. It stinks.

"Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown was kept from the Number One spot on the Billboard Hot 100 by none other than The Beatles hit, "Hey Jude." Figured it had to be a great song to almost become a No.1 hit (and a No.1 hit back in 1968 was nothing to scoff at), but no. It was a fluke. Guess "payola" was still putting songs on the radio for money.
Old 05-15-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

It was and IS a great song; maybe you had to be there. 1968 was an extraordinary music year. I like Buttmunker's "and a No.1 hit back in 1968 was nothing to scoff at" 'quote cause it was true! Jumpin' Jack Flash, Hey Jude/Revolution, People Got To Be Free, Hush, etc. all hit us that year. Fire stood up well against them all and blended right in. Definitely deserved all it got, a true 1-hit wonder!
Old 05-15-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Didn't Arthur Brown appear on Bruce Dickinson's "Chemical Wedding" album, reading from William Blake poems? (Great Dickinson album, btw.)