Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great studio bands that aren't so good live

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Great studio bands that aren't so good live

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Great studio bands that aren't so good live

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Seriously? KISS puts on one helluva show, and they sound great. Are you telling me they overdub their actual live shows? I don't buy it.
practically everything on the alive albums is overdubbed because of mistakes
Old 04-30-11, 08:00 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Stones. Sad, but true. Always sound like SHIT live.
Very much agree.
Old 04-30-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Aerosmith (at least in the 70's when they were hammered all the time, never saw them after they sobered up).
Old 04-30-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
And the same is true for almost every "live" album ever produced.

I've seen KISS live too many times. They've always been pretty tight as a live act, even with all the antics, pyro, explosions, etc.
Old 04-30-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Re: KISS
Originally Posted by statcat
While there were a lot of overdubs, the truth is a lot of bands have done that. Thin Lizzy's monumental Live and Dangerous, for example, is every bit as overdubbed as KISS ALIVE. Thin Lizzy producer Tony Visconti let the cat out of the bag in an interview a few years back. Like a lot of bands in the 70's and 80's Thin Lizzy got caught up in cleaning up the recordings. One thing led to another and about 90% of the guitar, bass, & vocals were overdubbed.

The irony of that is that Live and Dangerous sounds exactly like the raw live recordings from that era, minus the small flubs here and there (when you're moving around you tend to misfret things on occasion).

KISS was no different, except that they moved around even more and had platform boots and bulky costumes that made it harder to play. They were no virtuosos, but the way they performed live would have made it impossible even for a virtuoso to go mistake free for even one song.

And raw live KISS recordings sound pretty good - just he occasional misfretting or a vocal that drops out because the singer looks away from the mike for a second. It happens. So what? It's Rock and Roll!
Old 04-30-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Aerosmith (at least in the 70's when they were hammered all the time, never saw them after they sobered up).
the shows before they got very heavy on the drugs when they first started aren't so bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=828dl_FMoJs
Old 04-30-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Modest Mouse, although I'm told they occasionally put on a solid live performance (usually when Mr. Brock isn't drunk). When I saw them, they were horrible. Incredibly sloppy, LONG waits between songs with no banter or anything to make it easier.
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I've seen them twice, and they were terrible each time. The second time, it usually took me a minute or two to even figure out what song they were playing, and I'm familiar with just about every song they've ever recorded. That was one of the 3 worst concerts I've ever seen.
This is wrong!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IxTmftNiDs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b3dAPsTGbZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpTDHY6wlsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It doesn't get more soulful than this, not soul as in the style of music bus as in from the heart.
Old 04-30-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very easy one for me and every time I have seen them. The Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 04-30-11, 03:32 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Especially that Hennepin Avenue Block Party in the late 1990s. Ouch.

It's not that she's bad live, per se, but I've seen Nelly Furtado live a couple times and I was amazed at how she could either sing really well or dance really well but never did the two at the same time. Like, she never even made an attempt. It's like she knew it wasn't going to go well so she didn't even try it.
Old 04-30-11, 03:34 PM

I know many disagree with this, but especially with some of the bands that I listen to where technicality is a key, I prefer to hear them play it spot on 98% of the time than be "energetic" and sloppy, so I'm sure my opinion on this is skewed.
Old 04-30-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
It's not that she's bad live, per se, but I've seen Nelly Furtado live a couple times and I was amazed at how she could either sing really well or dance really well but never did the two at the same time. Like, she never even made an attempt. It's like she knew it wasn't going to go well so she didn't even try it.
Nobody can sing and dance at the same time. All that moving and jumping changes your breathing and forces the air out of your lungs at inappropriate times. Any concerts that you've seen where they do sing well and dance, it's been lip-syncing.
Old 04-30-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Flashback
Very easy one for me and every time I have seen them. The Smashing Pumpkins.
I came in to post this... one of my all-time favorite bands, but when I saw them live I was kind of let down.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Billy saying he was 90% of the music you heard on the albums? (he said he played just about every instrument on the studio recordings)
Old 04-30-11, 05:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Especially that Hennepin Avenue Block Party in the late 1990s. Ouch.
I saw that as well -- yeah, wasn't very good. At least it was free though.

My vote goes to the RHCP -- I've seen them twice now and was disappointed both times. I don't think I'll see them live again.
Old 04-30-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Nobody can sing and dance at the same time. All that moving and jumping changes your breathing and forces the air out of your lungs at inappropriate times. Any concerts that you've seen where they do sing well and dance, it's been lip-syncing.
Hence the Rob Zombie "out of breath" stuff mentioned earlier.

RE: Live KISS

I wish they would let some stuff out without being cleaned up. If i were going to see KISS, i would not be expected Yngwie Malmsteem, i would be going to see a "show" and be entertained. I think it would be cool to get some of the real live experience of being there, mistakes and all.
Old 04-30-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
RE: Live KISS

I wish they would let some stuff out without being cleaned up. If i were going to see KISS, i would not be expected Yngwie Malmsteem, i would be going to see a "show" and be entertained. I think it would be cool to get some of the real live experience of being there, mistakes and all.
Well, most of the stuff from the KISSology DVD's is undoctored.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mm0Lp72Lyrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pnrPyhlg4tM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Truth be told, most fans prefer the raw live recordings from Detroit '92 to the polished up ALIVE III.)

But like I noted before, a lot of bands doctor their live albums. A flub is no big deal live because once it's over it's over. On album it's forever. Flubs happen when you're playing to the crowd and are running around. You can't see that on album. But you can hear a misfret or a note sung off key.
Old 04-30-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Just played the Alive III clip and the tracks from the CD. I think the problem is more the mix than overdubs. For one thing, the drums are much more pronounced in the video. I noticed this even before playing the album track.
Old 04-30-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stevie Wright used to do quite well at it, even did back flips. Now I look at him and I'm horrified. If there was ever someone to warn people to stay off heroin it would be him

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/6i2PeSG3l5Q">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6i2PeSG3l5Q" />
</object>
Old 04-30-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen any of these bands live in person, but their live performances on TV have been consistently awful (you can judge if they are great studio bands ):

Smash Mouth
Third Eye Blind
Maroon 5
Black Eyed Peas
Creed (I did see them live early in their run, and they were awful, but I don't like their studio stuff either. Dude couldn't hold a note to save himself on stage.)

Of bands I actually like, Nirvana and Arcade Fire have to have the biggest number of the worst live (on TV) shows I've seen, but they both have some live shows I've seen that were great.
Old 04-30-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Soundgarden
Alice In Chains

Only seen these bands once.
Alice in 1991 and SG in 1994.
They were both boring as hell live.
Old 04-30-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would of thought AIC would of sucked live because of Staley's heroin addiction. It totally destroyed his voice. The clips I've seen show a big difference in just a few years.
Old 05-01-11, 12:27 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I see where you're coming from. As for Furtado, I'm talking not even an occasional hip sway or head bob when she sings. Just completely stationary, though her singing is amazing. Then, when it's time to dance, she's amazing, too.
Old 05-04-11, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I've been disappointed with Burton Bell's vocals during every live Fear Factory performance. The rest of the band generally sounds great, but he's a terrible live vocalist.