Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great studio bands that aren't so good live

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... and vice versa.

I was reading some comments on another board recently, they were discussing how Mastodon is a fantastic studio band, but their songs don't translate so well to the live stage. I tend to agree with this. The clean vocals always sound like shit and the guitar playing can get sloppy (though that's probably because Hinds is so fucked up half the time). I love their albums, but if I never saw them live again (I've seen them a few times) I'd be ok.

Any bands you love studio releases from, but find their live sound to be decidedly 'meh'?
Old 04-29-11, 01:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: Great studio bands that aren't so good live

Modest Mouse, although I'm told they occasionally put on a solid live performance (usually when Mr. Brock isn't drunk). When I saw them, they were horrible. Incredibly sloppy, LONG waits between songs with no banter or anything to make it easier.
Old 04-29-11, 01:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Arctic Monkeys - their stage presence was like watching paint dry, boring and uninvolving
Old 04-29-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Bloc Party...but they might have just had an off night
Old 04-29-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back in the day skid row was so so live. if you had the CD you knew which song was playing. live they all sounded the same
Old 04-29-11, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
... and vice versa.

I was reading some comments on another board recently, they were discussing how Mastodon is a fantastic studio band, but their songs don't translate so well to the live stage. I tend to agree with this. The clean vocals always sound like shit and the guitar playing can get sloppy (though that's probably because Hinds is so fucked up half the time). I love their albums, but if I never saw them live again (I've seen them a few times) I'd be ok.

Any bands you love studio releases from, but find their live sound to be decidedly 'meh'?
Maybe they've changed..but I saw them right after Remission came out and thought they were great. But then again I was just expecting a shitty metal band because I'd never heard of them before...
Old 04-29-11, 02:17 PM

All of the Fall of Troy live stuff I've heard/seen has been pretty bad. They have energy, but the vocals are more than iffy and the playing gets sloppy sometimes.

Some of my friends that are huge Mars Volta fans claimed they were terrible live (this is from a few years back).

A co-worker of mine says Minus the Bear is awful live, but I love them, I've seen them live a couple of times, and even though the vocals are spotty at times, it's still an overall good performance. One of my friends was at the same show that my co-worker said "sucked" but my friend says that it was a good performance....

Also, I've seen Rob Zombie live twice, and it's always been fun, but I'm not really a big fan of any of his albums.
Old 04-29-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rob Zombie puts on amazing stage shows, but he's one of the laziest performers I've ever seen. He literally sings only about half the lyrics and sounded out of breath more often than not.
Old 04-29-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cars. Back in the day they were known for barely moving on stage.
Old 04-29-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
got to strongly disagree, I've seen a lot of videos of them playing live and they're a tight band especially in the 70s before the 80s cheese seeped in. Rock Goes To College '78 and Rockpalast '79 stand on their own as great performances.
Old 04-29-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only answer to this thread is Mastodon
Old 04-29-11, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wonder if the 2011 live gigs will be any better?
Old 04-29-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you mean technical playing ability:

kiss (to hear they had to overdub most of the alive albums is a testament to this, all stage show, low talent)
sex pistols (of course punks but the clash and many others could wipe the stage with them)
Nirvana (you would have to say they sound sloppy live usually but that's what they were going for most likely anyway)
Blondie (think they improved at times but some shows I've heard from the 70s are just totally shit)
The Who (I'm talking about pre '68, not very good, other mods like the small faces were way better)
Old 04-29-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
hell no, without Ben Orr and their ages being up there I don't think they could match anything they did.

how could anyone say they sounded bad back in their heyday? I doubt they even listened to the bootlegs or watched the videos out there. Many guitarists wish they could sound as good as Elliot Easton.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o_JNTPs--Y">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o_JNTPs--Y" />
</object>
Old 04-29-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Modest Mouse, although I'm told they occasionally put on a solid live performance (usually when Mr. Brock isn't drunk). When I saw them, they were horrible. Incredibly sloppy, LONG waits between songs with no banter or anything to make it easier.
I can see that, luckily I've seen them 3 times and they were excellent every time. (in a tiny auditorium, big theater, and mid-sized venue)
Old 04-29-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
got to strongly disagree, I've seen a lot of videos of them playing live and they're a tight band especially in the 70s before the 80s cheese seeped in. Rock Goes To College '78 and Rockpalast '79 stand on their own as great performances.
You didn't read my post did you? I didn't mention how well they played their music. I said they barely moved on stage.
Old 04-29-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read it but what does that even have to do with being not so good live? It just seems like lame nitpicking because there's a ton of bands that move around about as much as the cars. I've actually seen somebody say this before on youtube and it struck me as odd.The OP mentions sloppy playing so that's what I thought we were going on.
Old 04-29-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if you mean technical playing ability:

kiss (to hear they had to overdub most of the alive albums is a testament to this, all stage show, low talent)
Seriously? KISS puts on one helluva show, and they sound great. Are you telling me they overdub their actual live shows? I don't buy it.
Old 04-29-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
hell no, without Ben Orr and their ages being up there I don't think they could match anything they did.

how could anyone say they sounded bad back in their heyday? I doubt they even listened to the bootlegs or watched the videos out there. Many guitarists wish they could sound as good as Elliot Easton.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o_JNTPs--Y">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1o_JNTPs--Y" />
</object>
You didn't read my post did you? I didn't mention how well they played their music. I said they barely moved on stage.
I read it but what does that even have to do with being not so good live? It just seems like lame nitpicking because there's a ton of bands that move around about as much as the cars. I've actually seen somebody say this before on youtube and it struck me as odd.The OP mentions sloppy playing so that's what I thought we were going on.
Saw them multiple times back in the day, and seeing them in a couple weeks in Los Angeles.

Yes they barely moved on stage.

Yes they always sounded great.

I could EASILY see why someone would say they were boring to see live. Don't care, love the new songs and am not missing them in a place 1/3 of the size where I saw them in the 80's.
Old 04-29-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 saw them, and they did not move the whole show.
Old 04-29-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, The Cars were notorious back in the '80s for their boring stage shows. Walked on stage, stood still, played the songs, walked away. Has nothing to do with their sound, just no stage presence.
Old 04-29-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thursday is one of my favorite bands, but they are not good live. After 15 years as a band, the vocalist still can't sing very well. He was even off-key for almost an entire song when they played on national television (I want to say it was on Craig Kilborn).

Also never was a fan of Taking Back Sunday's live show, but I don't really like that band much anymore anyway.

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
All of the Fall of Troy live stuff I've heard/seen has been pretty bad. They have energy, but the vocals are more than iffy and the playing gets sloppy sometimes.

A co-worker of mine says Minus the Bear is awful live, but I love them, I've seen them live a couple of times, and even though the vocals are spotty at times, it's still an overall good performance. One of my friends was at the same show that my co-worker said "sucked" but my friend says that it was a good performance....
I saw Fall Of Troy a handful of times over the years including their final show ever, and they never once won me over with their live show (not really a fan of their albums either).

Minus The Bear on the other hand I've seen probably 10 times, at least. They've always been great, but the problem I have with their live show is that they don't interact with the crowd hardly at all. They show up, play some songs, occasionally mumble into the mic between songs, and then leave. They're a tight band, they just aren't very good performers.
Old 04-29-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The Stones. Sad, but true. Always sound like SHIT live.
Old 04-29-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
I can see that, luckily I've seen them 3 times and they were excellent every time. (in a tiny auditorium, big theater, and mid-sized venue)
Yeah, every time I've seen them they've been great - even with Brock being loaded. Being a near "Homecoming" show for them each time though likely makes them play a little better.
Old 04-29-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen them twice, and they were terrible each time. The second time, it usually took me a minute or two to even figure out what song they were playing, and I'm familiar with just about every song they've ever recorded. That was one of the 3 worst concerts I've ever seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.