Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

(London) Suede double CD/DVD deluxe editions - 2011 releases

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

(London) Suede double CD/DVD deluxe editions - 2011 releases

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 01:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: (London) Suede double CD/DVD deluxe editions - 2011 releases

Coming Up might be my least favorite Suede album. Coming off the first too albums it felt too lightweight, but more than that, I found that most of the songs lack a memorable hook. Trash was the big single, right? I couldn't hum you a single note of that song. The best tracks on it are about as good as the weaker tracks on the first album, and none of it can compare to Dog Man Star.
Old 06-22-11, 01:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Coming Up might be my least favorite Suede album. Coming off the first too albums it felt too lightweight, but more than that, I found that most of the songs lack a memorable hook. Trash was the big single, right? I couldn't hum you a single note of that song. The best tracks on it are about as good as the weaker tracks on the first album, and none of it can compare to Dog Man Star.
I first heard Suede through their radio single 'Metal Mikey' but it was 'Coming Up' where I really got into them - maybe (for me) their sound was more glam pop - than DMS' gloom rock - I disagree that the songs lack a memorable hook - maybe it's because I played the album to death, but I'm far more familiar with the lyrics and tunes off of 'Coming Up' that the first two albums.
Old 06-22-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

For me, Coming Up was the first Suede album I bought/heard, after seeing the music video for "Beautiful Ones", which I thought was insanely catchy.

I got the US release, which came with a bonus disc of live performances of 5 songs, including the b-sides "Europe Is Our Playground" and "Killing Of A Flash Boy."
http://www.last.fm/music/Suede/Comin...us+disc:+Live)
Old 06-22-11, 01:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giles
I first heard Suede through their radio single 'Metal Mikey' but it was 'Coming Up' where I really got into them - maybe (for me) their sound was more glam pop - than DMS' gloom rock - I disagree that the songs lack a memorable hook - maybe it's because I played the album to death, but I'm far more familiar with the lyrics and tunes off of 'Coming Up' that the first two albums.
I like the darker side of Britpop. Pulp is one of my all time favorite bands and I got into Suede through them, which meant I was listening to the first two albums far more than the last three. I do own the whole Suede catalog (including fan club releases and the Bernard Butler solo albums, Brett Anderson solo albums, and The Tears), but for me nothing touches those first two albums.
Old 06-22-11, 01:40 PM

I like the darker side of Britpop. Pulp is one of my all time favorite bands and I got into Suede through them, which meant I was listening to the first two albums far more than the last three. I do own the whole Suede catalog (including fan club releases and the Bernard Butler solo albums, Brett Anderson solo albums, and The Tears), but for me nothing touches those first two albums.
who else do you like?

now I'm curious to relisten to the Tears album - where is that? my CD library is in utter dissaray.

can't wait for all four albums to come from Amazon.co.uk
Old 06-22-11, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Pulp and Suede are the big ones, but I also like Lush and Blur had three great albums (Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, and The Great Escape). I gravitate a lot towards darker glam rock as well, like Bowie, Roxy Music, Cockney Rebel, etc.
Old 06-22-11, 02:06 PM

Pulp and Suede are the big ones, but I also like Lush and Blur had three great albums (Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, and The Great Escape). I gravitate a lot towards darker glam rock as well, like Bowie, Roxy Music, Cockney Rebel, etc.
I'm surprised you're not an Auteur's (and Luke Haines other off shoot projects) fan.
Old 06-22-11, 02:08 PM
Banned by request

I haven't heard of Auteur. I'll check them out when I get home though, thanks!
Old 07-02-11, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Hey Giles, picked up those Auteurs albums. Going through them now. Digging them so far. The first album has kind of a George Harrison vibe, and I love me some George Harrison.

Also picked up the Coming Up, Head Music, and A New Morning reissues. Will be going through those soon as well.
Old 07-03-11, 08:06 AM

the four Suede albums came in the mail last Friday and the packaging denotes the DVD's as being "NTSC Region Free"
Old 07-03-11, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Head Music' arrived last week and I've been listening to little else since. I don't know what it is about this record but I absolutely adore it. It's messy, it's far from perfect, it sounds unfinished in places and some of it is kind of embarrassing, but I still hold it in shockingly high regard. It's also super nice to finally have a good quality recording of "Music Like Sex". (It's a shame the DVD is kind of a waste as the videos aren't terribly good and the "live" set is so doctored in post-production that it barely qualifies as live. Oh well.)

'A New Morning' arrived on Friday but I haven't approached it yet. I want to let go of the hate I've had for it all these years, but just looking at that terrible cover art and reading the song titles flashes back bad memories. I'm also not ready to leave behind 'Head Music' just yet. Soon.
Old 07-04-11, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Auteurs' video for "Light Aircraft On Fire" (dir: Chris Cunningham)

Placebo, I thin also qualifies being on the darker side of Britpop.
Anyway, haven't gotten to getting the re-releases. I assume the 1st album has to sound a lot better that the old CD. I recently listened to it again and the sound quality is very low-early-90s mastered....

Last edited by manicsounds; 07-04-11 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-04-11, 11:30 AM
Banned by request

I do enjoy Placebo as well.
Old 07-16-11, 12:16 PM
Banned by request

Finally getting around to the post-Butler reissues. I have to amend my opinion on Coming Up. It's lightweight, enjoyable Britpop. The new guitarist doesn't have half the creativity of Butler, though, and it's hard to feel anything but disappointment coming off of the brilliant one-two punch of Suede and Dog Man Star. But putting those aside, it's some okay music to bob your head in time to.
Old 07-16-11, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Listened to Head Music and A New Morning as well. Head Music is great. It has its own identity as an album and some really excellent songs. Easily the best of the post-Butler albums. A New Morning is the weakest, but strangely has the best bonus tracks of the three.
Old 07-16-11, 09:12 PM

Listened to Head Music and A New Morning as well. Head Music is great. It has its own identity as an album and some really excellent songs. Easily the best of the post-Butler albums. A New Morning is the weakest, but strangely has the best bonus tracks of the three
my fave song being: 'Golden Gun' - the best non-film James Bond theme song
Old 09-18-11, 11:28 PM

Ive only just found out about these sets, ashamedly so, Suede is one of my favorite bands and Dog Man Star one of my top 5 records of all time.

I actually found the first album at a local store here, and wow, what an amazing package. Allowed me to revisit this album for the first time in years. Can't wait to purchase the remaining albums online.