Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day April 16, 2011 - Discussion thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day April 16, 2011 - Discussion thread

Old 04-13-11, 10:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Record Store Day April 16, 2011 - Discussion thread

I love hi def music formats but they'll never catch on the way vinyl/regular CD/MP3 has.
Old 04-14-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Those seem like formats that Hipsters might embrace.
I think that's vinyl.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I love hi def music formats but they'll never catch on the way vinyl/regular CD/MP3 has.
They are already dead, sadly.
Old 04-14-11, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that even though I don't necessarily collect vinyl I do collect anything that certain bands put out and I really want to get the Opeth - Throat of Winter 7". Artwork is totally badass.
Old 04-14-11, 01:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

The only "high def" format with any chance of success would be Audio-only Blu-ray, but those aren't being released in any respectable capacity.
Old 04-14-11, 02:27 PM
Banned by request

So after paying way more than I expected to for a Prince ticket, I decided not to go for Record Store Day this time. I can live without the exclusives and I buy enough vinyl throughout the year to not have to go on the one specific day.
Old 04-14-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

In for:

Big Star - Third (Test Pressing Edition)
Daft Punk - Tron Soundtrack (if it's still available)
Foo Fighters - Medium Rare
Pink Floyd - London 66/67
Television - Live At The Old Waldorf (2LP)

I also wouldn't mind grabbing the Nickel Creek albums in vinyl.
Old 04-14-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Any Oklahoma record-people coming to Guestroom Records in OKC/Norman on the 16th?
Old 04-15-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After perusing the list, if I'm around a store tomorrow, I'll pick up the live Decemberists CD.

I thought this was about helping out the independent record stores, not propping up the vinyl format.
Old 04-15-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Well my shots at getting most anything I want are likely shot. Damn South Dakota weather is probably going to prevent me from going tomorrow. I did manage to score a copy of Foo Fighters: Medium Rare off eBay for like $33 though. Everything else that I want is ridiculously priced on there though. I might have to look around some more after the hype dies down.
Old 04-15-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any chance someone would be willing to pick me up the A Day to Remember Release "All I Want"? Even though they are from Ocala and I am from Tampa, no one I called locally got it in for tomorrow. PM me and we can work something out.
Old 04-15-11, 03:54 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CRM114
After perusing the list, if I'm around a store tomorrow, I'll pick up the live Decemberists CD.

I thought this was about helping out the independent record stores, not propping up the vinyl format.
It is, but vinyl speaks to the enthusiast market. Go in and buy some SACDs if it concerns you.
Old 04-15-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Any Oklahoma record-people coming to Guestroom Records in OKC/Norman on the 16th?
I will probably go to the Norman location tomorrow. Not sure what I will get though, if anything
Old 04-15-11, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Anyone in the UK attending?

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-product.aspx

I wish they had that Dr. Who vinyl in the US.
Old 04-15-11, 04:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They get the Art of Noise with bonus lp of newly found demos? Damn it.
Old 04-15-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well my shots at getting most anything I want are likely shot. Damn South Dakota weather is probably going to prevent me from going tomorrow. I did manage to score a copy of Foo Fighters: Medium Rare off eBay for like $33 though. Everything else that I want is ridiculously priced on there though. I might have to look around some more after the hype dies down.
Not bad for buying it off e-BAY. That's only about twice as much as it's going to cost in stores tomorrow - but if you really wanted to make sure you got a copy, then I can understand. I've got at least three participating stores by me, that hopefully, I should be able to find a copy at one of them. I stopped by one - which coincidentally, is one of the founding stores of the the whole "Record Store Day" idea (Bull Moose Music) - and they told me the price was going to be about $15 and change, and that they should have a decent amount. As long as I got there at or around opening, that is, and I plan to.

What's going to be harder for me to score, however, is the three LP deluxe vinyl re-issue of Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American. (The original album plus bonus tracks). The price for that one is around $45, and it's going to be in very short supply. They said they may only be getting one copy, period. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-15-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Not bad for buying it off e-BAY. That's only about twice as much as it's going to cost in stores tomorrow - but if you really wanted to make sure you got a copy, then I can understand. I've got at least three participating stores by me, that hopefully, I should be able to find a copy at one of them. I stopped by one - which coincidentally, is one of the founding stores of the the whole "Record Store Day" idea (Bull Moose Music) - and they told me the price was going to be about $15 and change, and that they should have a decent amount. As long as I got there at or around opening, that is, and I plan to.

What's going to be harder for me to score, however, is the three LP deluxe vinyl re-issue of Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American. (The original album plus bonus tracks). The price for that one is around $45, and it's going to be in very short supply. They said they may only be getting one copy, period. Keeping my fingers crossed.
It wasn't a great price by any means but yeah I really wanted to make sure I got one so better paying $33 for it then who knows how much down the line.
Old 04-16-11, 01:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How was this for others? Got there at 8:45 and there were less than ten people ahead of me; got the Tron, Duran Duran, and Cars but they ran out of the Floyd. Pretty cool experience though and very orderly.
Old 04-16-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

On Record Store Day, picked up these records (vinyl). there was a pretty big crowd there.

Flogging Molly -- Don't Shut 'Em Down (7" single)
Kings of Leon -- Holly Roller Novocainr (10" single)
REM -- Three (represses of their first 3 7" singles)
Soundgarden -- Telephantasm (3 LP Best of)
Foo Fighters -- Medium Rare (covers album)

Some freebies they were giving away (in a lovely Record Store Day bag)

7" Singles
Facts of Life -- Sometimes
Edsel -- Penaluna
Rufus -- Tell Me Something Good

CDs
Epitath -- Spring 2011 Sampler
Please Do Enjoy 00 teminarl Samples #4
EMI Urban Music Samples -- record Store Day 2011
Old 04-16-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's a picture of my haul:

My store didn't have the Joan Jett LP or the White Stripes 45s (or if they did, I didn't see them).

They did have the Nirvana, but I didn't get to one fast enough. Not a big deal for me since I have an imported CD version anyway.

At least I got the Foo Fighters LP which was my most wanted item, and those went pretty fast.

I got to Zia Record Exchange about 15 minutes before the store opened and there were about 20 people in line. Somebody at the front claimed he got there 2 hours early! (He's probably the one that got the Nirvana).

Zia also gave me 7 free promo CDs, a promo 45, a button, a bumper sticker and a couple of mini posters. It's an odd lot, so I'm not sure if any of them are keepers yet.

...and now even though I still love vinyl records, I'm going to digitize them so I can listen to them on my iPhone.
Old 04-16-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Went to Record Rack in Pompano Beach, FL. The Big Star exclusive was LONG since gone (they only got 2 of them), and the only other exclusive that caught my interest was the Foo Fighters disc. I picked that up plus a vinyl of The Kinks' "Everybody's In Show-Biz". A nice day was had by all, although we didn't nosh until later. Had Moe's.
Old 04-16-11, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Friend of mine went to Amoeba, said the lines were insane.
Old 04-16-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to our local in Norman, OK (Guestroom Records)

I picked up the last copy of the Foo Fighters, and struck out on the Nirvana and the Fleetwood Mac Rumours... Went to the OKC Guestroom and picked up the next to last copy of Fleetwood Mac there. I would have liked to get the Nirvana and possibly the Television and Pink Floyd Discs, but I didn't really expect to get either of the last two.

I was approximately person number 16 or 21 in line (they let in 5 at a time). Most stuff after my group was stuff I saw at the other location about 4 hours later.

Edited to add: I know that people always bitch about RSD, but honestly I wouldn't change much. I wish they would put out some more copies of the exclusives and all to discourage the flipping, but hearing free live music, drinking free coffee or beer (depending on what time you showed up) as well as good deals on non RSD exclusives would keep me stopping by every year. Its a great time to see so many music fans in the same place excited by vinyl, and pick up some stuff that you may not otherwise be too interested in, even if you get some dumbasses who will wait in line overnight to make a $30 profit on an album.
Old 04-16-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was pretty insane. I hit three stores. One right when they opened and it was madness. I just left, since I couldn't see/find anything. Too mobbed.

The next store was CLOSED! On Record Store Day! And they were a participating store! A sign on the door said "Be back in 15 minutes", yet all the lights were out and it looked like it had never been open. Turns out they didn't open for another hour.

On to the next store which had a line of about 40 people. They weren't open yet. I guess all the San Diego stores coordinated their opening times so that you could hit the opening of each and every store. And if you didn't you missed out on everything. One store opened at 10am. The other 11am. The other really close by, 11:30am. The next, 12:30pm.

Stayed in line at the 3rd store and was able to get the Foo Fighters "Medium Rare", the OFF! live 7", and the Green Day/Husker Du split 7". After that (it took an HOUR to wait in line, get the items and cash out!), I had enough and just went home.

Didn't sweat not getting the Nirvana "Hormoning". Don't know what the big deal about that one. It's been out for almost 20 years! (already had a copy on CD; no need for a vinyl version).
Old 04-16-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

If the point of record store day is to get people back into the independent stores, then creating a cattle stampede to score a bunch of limited edition shit one day a year doesn't seem like the best way to do it. Never mind that a lot of them are probably going to be eBay flippers.

Seems like the best way to support these stores would be to release exclusives throughout the year, and in enough quantities that they are readily available to anyone who wants them.

If I want one or two specific things like the Foo Fighters album, the Opeth single, or the Nirvana single, and I have to make a special day of going from one store to the other trying to find them, and don't find them, I'm not inclined to want to set foot in these fucking stores again.
Old 04-16-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I got both the main things I wanted - Foo Fighters and Jimmy Eat World (#867 of 2000 made), so I was happy. The main store I went to - Bull Moose Music - opened at 9am, and I got there about 8:40, with only about 15 or so people ahead of me. But by the time they opened, there must have been at least another 50 or so behind me. There were plenty of Foo's LP's to be found, but I did snag the only copy of Jimmy Eat World.

While waiting in line, I chatted with Chris Brown, who is one of the folks who put "Record Store Day" together, to begin with. (If you saw the promo video, he's the dude with long hair, glasses and and beard). He, too, was also disappointed by the lack of exclusive CD releases made available this year, and said he was going to push for more next year. He said he had dozens of folks telling him they wished the Foo's disc (and others) was on CD, as well as, or instead of vinyl.

I have to say, to a point, I agree with Josh-da-man's statement above. While just about everyone there rushed the exclusives area, hardly anyone else really was shopping the rest of the store. Granted that could have changed as the day progressed, but I wasn't seeing much of it in the time I was around.

Things were a little different at my next stop, Newbury Comics, where the vibe was much more relaxed (likely since they had already been open for a half hour), but they didn't have nearly as much stock on exclusives as Bull Moose did. When I got there, only a handful of the Foo's Medium Rare were on display, but they were all gone by the time I left an hour later. In Newbury's favor, however, was the fact they ran a couple of other good sales, too - 30% off all Used CD's/DVD's/Blu Ray's, and 20% off all vinyl. Picked up a few used items, and Jeff Buckley's Grace on vinyl at really good prices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.