Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden: Album by Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iron Maiden: Album by Album

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Iron Maiden: Album by Album

My rankings:

Number of the Beast
Powerslave
Killers

Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden
Old 02-04-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

It was interesting to hear a recorded version of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" being played -- on vinyl no less! -- in English Lit class in high school. I certainly was familiar with most of the songs on this album but I did not get the CD until college. A friend drew the album cover in pen and gave it to his girlfriend. I think he used three pens in the process.

"Losfer Words (Big Orra)" was a fun song to learn to play on guitar. Up the irons!
Old 02-04-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

This is easily my favorite Maiden album. The lesser-known songs (Duellists, Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village) are just as good as the well-known tracks, which are great.

Last edited by cdollaz; 02-04-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powerslave is my second favorite album also 5 stars.
Old 02-04-11, 04:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a perfect Maiden album from start to finish. Every track is stellar and the performances are phenomenal. The band was firing on all cylinders here, as this album and the subsequent tour proved. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this album.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-07-11 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-04-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Great, great album. Can't say it any better than has been said before. Maiden at their absolute prime. I really enjoyed the egyptian themed graphics, too. The album artwork is the best they've ever had, and one of the coolest of the 80's. One of my biggest regrets is that I missed this tour.
Old 02-04-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't believe they ever played "Flash of The Blade" live, its my favorite song on the album
Old 02-04-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

These are the songs Maiden has never played live. The Final Frontier list should start shrining pretty quickly. Overall, they have played the vast majortiy of their material, moreso than most bands.

Credit where it is due ... http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=16270.0

Iron Maiden:
None

Killers:
1. Prodigal Son

The Number of the Beast:
2. Invaders
3. Gangland

Piece of Mind:
4. Quest for Fire
5. Sun and Steel

Powerslave:
6. Flash of the Blade
7. The Duellists
8. Back in the Village

Somewhere in Time:
9. Deja-Vu
10. Alexander The Great

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
11. The Prophecy
12. Only the Good Die Young

No Prayer for the Dying:
13. Fates Warning
14. Run Silent Run Deep
15. Mother Russia

Fear of the Dark:
16. Fear is the Key
17. Childhood's End
18. The Fugitive
19. Chains of Misery
20. The Apparition
21. Judas Be My Guide
22. Weekend Warrior

The X-Factor:
23. Look for the Truth
24. Judgement of Heaven
25. 2 A.M.
26. The Unbeliever

Virtual XI:
27. Como Estais Amigos

Brave New World:
28. The Nomad
29. The Thin Line between Love and Hate

Dance of Death:
30. Montségur
31. Gates of Tomorrow
32. New Frontier
33. Face in the Sand
34. Age of Innocence

A Matter of Life and Death
None

The Final Frontier:
35. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
36. Mother of Mercy
37. Coming Home
38. The Alchemist
39. Isle of Avalon
40. Starblind
41. The Talisman
42. The Man Who Would Be King
43. When the Wild Wind Blows

Last edited by BearFan; 02-04-11 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Giving credit
Old 02-04-11, 07:07 PM
Banned by request

They never played Only The Good Die Young? Weird, seems like a natural show closer.
Old 02-04-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great album cover.

Flash of the Blade and the Duellists are two of my favorite songs of theirs. I don't really care for Losfer Words and Back in the Village is just ok. The rest are great. I guess if I had to pick a favorite album this would be it.

Ancient Mariner is a great song, but gets the slow section drags on a little too long.

My all time favorite lyric in any song, Maiden or otherwise:

"To teach God's word by his own example,
That we must love all things that God made."
Old 02-04-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
They never played Only The Good Die Young? Weird, seems like a natural show closer.
On the 7th Son Tour, I was surprised at this as well. On the other hand, the fact that they opened with Moonchild, went directly into The Prisoner and then Infinite Dreams... well I don't remember much after that. My head promptly exploded.
Old 02-04-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I bought Killers when it was first released simply because the cover was so badass. After a quick listen I went back to the record store (remember those?) and picked up the first album.
I love Killers and Powerslave the best. I would love to open up a record store but in today's world it would never make it. I'd be selling the farm in no time.
Old 02-05-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album, ranking just ahead of Piece of Mind. It may not have a song as great as The Trooper or Number of the Beast, but there's so many great ones here. The opening three tracks and the last two are all incredible, and there are a thousand bands who've never written songs as good the three "filler" tracks.
Old 02-05-11, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Next up .. Live After Death
Old 02-05-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the all time great live albums. Up to this point, I thought Maiden was a good band, I owned Piece of Mind and Numbor of the Beast and liked them, but something about seeing them live kicked my fandom into full gear. Living in Houston at the time, I spent a ton of money at Texas Tapes and Records (as seen on the Somewhere in Time cover) buying singles, EPs, imports, and pretty much everything Maiden. Like a moron I got rid of all my vinyl some time ago, over the past year I have re-purchased most of this and have a pretty extensive Maiden vinyl collection again.

For the album itself, they just kicked ass on this tour and they played everywhere, look at some of the cities they played. Maiden really won their fan base the old fasioned way, they got dick for airplay in the US, but won over the crowds with their live shows. They sounded great and the stage show was awesome.

The VHS was great as well and it has recently been re-released on DVD with the Early Years documentary part 2.

Tracklist
Sides 1,2,3 - Recorded At Long Beach Arena, Los Angeles - March 17th 1985
Intro: Churchill's Speech
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run to the Hills
Running Free

Side 4 Recorded At Hammersmith Odeon, London - October 10, 1984

Wrathchild
22 Acacia Avenue
Children of the Damned
Die With Your Boots On
Phantom of the Opera

Singles

Run to the Hills b/w Phantom of the Opera (Live), Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) (Live)

Running Free b/w Sanctuary (Live), Murders In The Rue Morgue (live)

A few videos

Iron Maiden
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/inGOMuIrR10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Trooper
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PSSHk0U9gv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Number of the Beast
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AMg2cd5iiKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-05-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

The definitive version of Phantom Of The Opera is on Live After Death.
Old 02-05-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

For me the Powerslave through Seventh Son time period is the pinnacle. I love NotB but I've always felt PoM was a spotty record. But Powerslave just kicks ass all the way through, and I'm a sucker for the keyboards so when I heard the beginning of Somewhere in Time I was hooked.
Old 02-05-11, 10:50 AM

If you would have to pick only one live album from iron maiden to own this would be it.
Old 02-05-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Live After Death is a essential Maiden. CD buyers for YEARS were screwed out of the last batch of songs, since they cut it down to an 80minute run time instead of the Double LP oldschool fans were used to. Still, a powerful selection of live cuts.

The live "Flight of Icarus" is IMO the definitive version, since it's closer to what the band really wanted out of the studio track.
Old 02-05-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LAD also feature one of the greatest song intros ever ... "The moral of this story is what not to do if a bird shits on you" ... simple and to the point
Old 02-05-11, 02:50 PM
Banned by request

I love this album. Probably the best live metal album ever recorded. Iron Maiden were an unstoppable juggernaut live (still are, really), but this live album is the absolute pinnacle of their live work.
Old 02-05-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

'THE WORLD SLAVERY TOUR 84/85'

"The tour really began for the band as early as June 20th, 1984, when they based themselves in Florida, USA, to rehearse for the tour. This was followed in early August by five days of pre-production in Hannover, Germany, where the whole stage set, P.A., lights, etc. were put together for the first time.

The first concert was in Warsaw, Poland, on August 9th, 1984, and continued through 24 countries for 322 days. During this period, we travelled nearly 100,000 miles, used 7,778 hotel rooms, 6,392 guitar strings, 3,760 drum sticks, 3,008 guitar picks and consumed about 50,000 cans of beer, 30,000 soft drinks, 6,000 pints of milk, 2,500 pints of orange juice and literally tons of food.

The equipment, all of which the band owns, was transported in six forty-five foot articulated trucks - all forty odd tons of it!"

Tony Wigens (Tour Manager)
I remember reading this item in Live After Death's thick CD booklet and being astounded by the logistics of such a tour. This is a great live album. One my favorite live moments is when someone in the crowd yells "Motherfucker!" between "Revelations" and "Flight of Icarus."

A friend got Live After Death on VHS in college. The album booklet featured a picture of Steve Harris jumping from the drum riser with mummified Eddie shooting flames from his eyes in the background. This captured moment seemed so badass but was rather underwhelming when we viewed the concert video.

Nicko's swimming story from "History of Iron Maiden Part 2" is hilarious. This band has so many great stories!
Old 02-06-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Next up, Somewhere in Time

I found this album to be a bit of a letdown from the previous 6, they are still some real good songs on it, but it just did not have the punch that the previous albums had, they became a bit too polished. Also, the tour featured a pretty short setlist compared to the tour before.

That said, there are still some standout songs on this album and the cover is just incredible.

Tracklist
1. Caught Somewhere In Time (Harris)
2. Wasted Years (Smith)
3. Sea Of Madness (Smith)
4. Heaven Can Wait (Harris)
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (Harris)
6. Stranger In A Strange Land (Smith)
7. Deja Vu (Murray/Harris)
8. Alexander The Great (Harris)

Singles

Wasted Years b/w Reach Out (Adrian Smith singing), Sheriff of Huddersfield (very funny song making fun of the manager (Rob Smallwood) moving to LA)

Strangers in a Strange Land b/w Juanita, That Girl

The singles are interesting, they are all Adrian Smith songs. Huddersfield is based on Life in the City (from Urchin w. Adrian Smith pre-Maiden), the rest were from ideas he was working of for solo efforts. Maiden played a "secret gig" under the name the Entire Population of Hackney where these songs were played.

Videos

Caught Somewhere in Time

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m3fVDCtc0OY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasted Years (an amusing video from a lip synch show they did not want to do)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xzqGQkLMo9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sea of Madness
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/47gxm1m2jus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sheriff of Huddersfield
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NPbDYcMNX6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-06-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great songs:
1. Caught Somewhere In Time (Harris)
2. Wasted Years (Smith)
3. Sea Of Madness (Smith)
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (Harris)
6. Stranger In A Strange Land (Smith)

Good songs:
4. Heaven Can Wait (Harris)
8. Alexander The Great (Harris)

Ok, but generic song:
7. Deja Vu (Murray/Harris)
Old 02-06-11, 10:44 AM

This album somewhere in time is maybe there weakest album of the 80s. Tracks i have liked caught somewhere in time, wasted years, heaven can't wait, stranger in a strange land.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.