Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden: Album by Album

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-31-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have always been a huge fan of Maiden. I started listening to them around Piece of Mind (a cousin brought the record over), then saw them on the Powerslave Tour and was hooked for life. They sound great live, create interesting songs both lyrically and musically. They really do not seem to be slowing down, though they always had prog influences, the more heavy prog direction they have been taking over the past several albums has been great. They are one of the few bands, IMO where I enjoy their current material as much as their "golden age".

As an aside, I have pretty much all their official vinyl singles and all the albums and listen to them often.

First Album:

Just a great album, all the songs stand up today and watching the live footage from this era, the band was just smoking live. I prefer Dickinson as a vocalist, but Paul Di'Anno had a raw energy that fit the band perfectly at this time. Phantom of the Opera is really a masterpiece and Remember Tomorrow is a template that Metallica later used for Fade to Black (saw this in an interview with Lars somewhere).

Of course, it also introduced Eddie.

Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Running Free
Phantom of the Opera
Transylvania (Instrumental)
Strange World
Sanctuary (US Release/re-releases)
Charlotte the Harlot
Iron Maiden

Singles
Running Free b/w Burning Ambition

Sanctuary b/w Prowler, Drifter (Live), I've Got the Fire (Live)

Women in Uniform (cover) b/w Invasion, Phantom of the Opera (Live)

A few songs

Prowler
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YWr-HtpTOyI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Remember Tomorrow (Live)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c4ioft8-E4g" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Phantom of the Opera
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h8IuFl3sMhk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Iron Maiden: Album by Album

Have to admit I've never really listened to the Di'Anno stuff much. I just didn't care for his voice. I didn't get into Maiden until the 7th Son era so for me Maiden is only Maiden with Dickinson.

I do like hearing these songs live with Dickinson though. That would be cool if they did something like Anthrax did where they redo some of these with Di'Anno's "replacement".

I have a feeling this thread will thin out when things hit the X Factor. But keep 'em coming!
Old 01-31-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grew up listening to it...and playing some of it in garage bands. I have recently been listening to them from the beginning and the first 3 albums still hold up very well. Piece of Mind starts to lose me a bit and Powerslave really starts to turn me off. By the time I get Seventh Son I am done.

The first album is an excellent piece of raw hard rock and roll that in 1981 (when I first heard it) marked a turning point in my interest in this type of music beyond the roots/soul/motown music my parents brought me up on. This direction quickly dwindled as the hair bands firmly took root which I couldn't stand. I associated Iron Maiden with them so my interest faded but they opened a door to other great rock that I still listen to today.
Old 01-31-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought PoM and Powerslave were the weakest album wise. too few good songs on each one
Old 01-31-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I do like hearing these songs live with Dickinson though. That would be cool if they did something like Anthrax did where they redo some of these with Di'Anno's "replacement".
They did....
"The Evil That Men Do" single featured re-recorded studio versions of Prowler and Charlotte The Harlot with Bruce on vocals....
They also made a new studio version of Wrathchild (from their second album "Killers") with Bruce on vocals for the "Ed Hunter" compilation....
Old 01-31-11, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Iron Maiden. Probably my favorite heavy metal band. Their first album is a great example of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, with a punk/metal vibe. Di'Anno's voice fits perfectly for this style, imo, and his raw vocals give the songs an extra edge. The material feels a little uneven, but the best songs are Maiden classics, especially "Running Free," "Charlotte The Harlot," and "Iron Maiden."
Old 01-31-11, 08:40 PM

Awesome, album by album for maiden. This first album is good iron maiden has the best cover art. The stand out tracks for me are prowler, sanctuary, phantom, iron maiden.
Old 01-31-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
They did....
"The Evil That Men Do" single featured re-recorded studio versions of Prowler and Charlotte The Harlot with Bruce on vocals....
They also made a new studio version of Wrathchild (from their second album "Killers") with Bruce on vocals for the "Ed Hunter" compilation....
If you add in the live albums (including Beast over Hammersmith), you can hear Bruce sing virtually the entire Di'Anno albums. As I mentioned, I think Bruce is a much better vocalist, but Di'Anno was good for the songs he did, they fit his style well.
Old 01-31-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bruce was a much better vocalist, but I preferred Di'Anno singing the original songs over Bruce's live recordings and studio re-records. I think Di'Anno's voice just fits the material better.

I wish they would have done a few more songs like Strange World while they were in their prime.

My favorite songs from the first album:
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Phantom of the Opera
Strange World

Running Free & Sanctuary feel a little generic, but I like the bass line of Running Free and the opening line of Sanctuary ("Out of the winter came a war-horse of steel") and the chorus "I know you'd go insane if you saw what I saw".

Maiden's instrumentals never did anything for me, even though they had so many great instrumental sections during their songs.
Old 01-31-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
They did....
Well there ya go!
Old 01-31-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the 1st 4 Maiden albums (ST, Killers, NOTB,POM) are pretty much perfect metal albums and it progressively goes down hill from there.
Old 02-01-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
the 1st 4 Maiden albums (ST, Killers, NOTB,POM) are pretty much perfect metal albums and it progressively goes down hill from there.
no love for somewhere in time?

sounds different than the rest but it's one of the ones i can listen to the entire album. Piece of Mind and Powerslave have awesome A-sides but crappy B-sides
Old 02-01-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Next up is Killers

The second and last Di'Anno studio album. Song-wise, it is not quite as good as the first album, but the production value is much better. This is the first album in their collaboration with Martin Birch as producer.

Track List
1.The Ides Of March [Instrumental]
2. Wrathchild
3. Murders In The Rue Morgue
4. Another Life
5. Ghengis Khan
6. Innocent Exile
7. Killers
8. Prodigal Son
9. Purgatory
10. Twilight Zone (US Release/Re-releases)
11. Drifter

Singles

Twilight Zone b/w Wrathchild

Purgatory b/w Genghis Khan

and the Live EP Maiden Japan (the full show can be found as well, it sounds great)
Running Free
Remember Tomorrow
Wrathchild (US version)
Killers
Innocent Exile

.. the original cover (later leaked, with Di'Anno leaving the band)

a few of my favorite songs

Killers
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rwY3Ftfdy6M" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Murders in the Rue Morgue
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hovaBRK8Fe8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Innocent Exile (Maiden Japan)
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/99TpZAeQzvs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts

I really like the first Maiden album, especially the first side. This really an under-appreciated album, probably because their sound began evolving so quickly into the classic Maiden sound and this got lost in the wake, but it has a great punk-influenced energy to it.

The Prowler has a great opening riff, and the whole thing just kicks ass from there. It's really awesome to hear that intro, and know that that's the first track on the first IM album, and that the whole thing started right there.

And speaking of this album, this has been driving me crazy lately, but does anyone know if Dickinson has ever sung "Strange World" live? I could have sworn that I heard him singing it somewhere, but it's not on of their videos that I own or live albums. Even looked on Youtube.
Old 02-01-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the first time i heard Murders In The Rue Morgue was on a maiden bio movie that ended around 1990. they introduced Bruce and he said that he wouldn't go on stage in black leather and 5 seconds later he's on stage singing in black leather.

i was around 13 back then and with no money no way to read the magazines and never heard of the other singer. i always thought maiden was Brice Dickinson until years later
Old 02-01-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
And speaking of this album, this has been driving me crazy lately, but does anyone know if Dickinson has ever sung "Strange World" live? I could have sworn that I heard him singing it somewhere, but it's not on of their videos that I own or live albums. Even looked on Youtube.
So far as I know these are the songs Bruce has sung live from the first album

Prowler
Sanctuary
Remember Tomorrow
Running Free
Phantom Of The Opera
Transylvania (not really sung, but the band played it with Bruce)
Charlotte The Harlot
Iron Maiden

Last edited by BearFan; 02-01-11 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added sung live
Old 02-01-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some thoughts from listening to the Di'Anno years again

Soundhouse Tapes -- EP This shows that going to a 5 piece band was a brilliant decision, the extra guitar was clearly missed here.

It’s interesting to hear the song Iron Maiden in the more original form, some of Di’anno’s vocal choices are interesting and might have been nice to carry over to the studio version, but the studio version is far superior in most every way.

Invasion – not that great, good move leaving it off the first album. Perhaps a so-so pop-punk-rock song, not much to it either musically or lyrically.

Prowler – Really the same comment as Iron Maiden, interesting to hear the earlier version, but much improved as it went along.

Running Free-- Single I’m Running Free .. yeah. Over the years, I have grown a bit tired of this song and wish they would replace it on tour with one of the many other great Di’anno era songs, but it’s still a good song and I really enjoyed it before growing tired of it. Sounds much better live.

Burning Ambition is a song I enjoy, but it never really fit the Maiden style to me. Good for a B-side, but probably best left at that.
This single marked the first (though obscured) view of Eddie.

Sanctuary-- Single Well known for the cover of Eddie stabbing Thatcher, Sanctuary has held up better for me than Running Free, a fun song to hear live and some great vocals.

Drifter (Live), very good song that they tore up live, you can really hear the energy and Di’anno really shines.

I’ve Got the Fire (Live), pretty solid cover of the Montrose song, a nice third song on the single.

Women in Uniform -- Single
Women in Uniform – A pretty cool video, at least for good looking nurses and they first Eddie appearance, but not the best song they could have covered.

Invasion sounds a bit better here than on the Soundhouse tapes having been re-recorded, but still not that great of a song.

Phantom of the Opera (Live) sounds great here, fantastic song that always sounds great live.

Live!! + 1- EP

Great live version of Sanctuary, the “gallop” section in the middle of the song really adds to it. Phantom of the Opera is the same as the Women in Uniform single and I believe Drifter is the same as the Sanctuary single. Also the studio version of Women in Uniform.

Iron Maiden Studio Album
Here’s where it starts getting real good real quick. I read an interview a few years back from Paul Di’anno where he said that it was probably best for Maiden that he was booted and Dickinson was the singer the band needed, but no one could sing the old tunes as well as him. I tend to agree with this.

Prowler – What a kick-ass way to start an album. Very aggressive punk-ish song, the 88 re-records did not do it justice. Awesome solo by Murray.

Remember Tomorrow – Songs like this really separate Maiden from the
pack. Starts off moody as hell, and intertwines some great music and vocals. I think this is Di’annos best vocal effort on the song and one of Maiden’s best ever.

Running Free – See comments on the single.

Phantom of the Opera – Great song that really would be a template for many Maiden songs, take a storys/historical event or person/poem/fable, etc, summarize it, surround it with great music and make a long, but interesting song out of it.

Translyvania – Very good instrumental, made for a nice intro to the shows.

Strange World – This is really the only song on the album that does not do a whole lot for me, not a bad song at all and it has interesting lyrics , but it never seems to go anywhere.

Sanctuary – see comment with the single, not on the original release but added when released in the US.

Charlotte the Harlot – the saga begins. Great tune, always sounded good live, this is one Dickinson was never able to do that well IMO.

Iron Maiden – A song that has certainly been played to death, an improvement over the Soundhouse tapes, but one I have heard so often I usually skip, it sounds better live.

Twilight Zone single
Twilight Zone was later put on the Killers album, it really is a good song. I was surprised at first that it had nothing to do with the TV show of the same name. It is a catchy tune.

Wrathchild is the “co-A side”

Of note, this is one of my favorite of their single covers. I always assumed the woman was Charlotte, the Mickey Mouse, the Cosmo in the trash, death on the playing card and in the window, and ghost Eddie in the mirror .. a very cool cover.

Killers studio
Possibly the most important to Iron Maiden to date (if not ever), adding Adrian Smith. I think he a very underappreciated musician, he has a unique sound, wrote some great songs later on in Maiden, and has a pretty damn good voice too. Smith and Murray have to be one of the better guitar combos ever.

Ides of March – Great Into, short but effective

Wrathchild – a great classic song, great chorus and a very catchy tune. I can see why the still play this one.

Murders in the Rue Morgue – I really like this song, from listening to this, I really got into Poe’s poems and stories after hearing this song. Great music and they condensed the story well.

Another Life --- this song just f-ing rocks. Great guitars and bass, Di’Anno knocks it out of the park here.

Genghis Kahn – Another instrumental, a good one, but in the scheme of Maiden one of their weaker ones IMO. It has some good parts, but bogs down a but for me

Innocent Exile – Some fairly stupid lyrics, but still a cool song.
Killers – One of Di’Annos highlights in Maiden. His vocals are phenomenal here. If he did not have his problems within the band, this might have been a more common type of song for the band. Di’Anno IMO is a very underrated vocalist, he certainly does not have the range of Dickinson, but he projects some great emotion into his singing.

Prodigal Son – Not bad, not great.

Purgatory – this song rips … great rocker.

Twilight Zone (later added in the US release, same as the single)

Drifter – This song has grown on me over the years, a hard rock/punky/catchy tune.

Purgatory single Very cool cover, Killers version of Purgatory and Genghis Kahn on it.

Maiden Japan
I have 2 versions of this, the 5 track EP on Vinyl (Running Free, Remember Tomorrow, Wrathchild, Killers, Innocent Exile) and the 17 track full show on an un-official CD.

I listened to the record, then skipped over the same tracks on the CD. I
would love to have a time machine to go back and see this show. They were smoking, the better track are Innocent Exile, Wrathchild, Killers, Twilight Zone, Remember Tomorrow, and Drifter . though there is not a bad track in the bunch. I could live without the I’ve Got the Fire cover and replace it with something else. While not as polished as Maiden would become, they made up for it with raw energy.
Old 02-01-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought Killers when it was first released simply because the cover was so badass. After a quick listen I went back to the record store (remember those?) and picked up the first album. Maiden has been one of my favorite bands (at times, my favorite) ever since.

While Maiden's best was yet to come, I love both of these albums. Particular favorites are Running Free, Remember Tomorrow, Iron Maiden, Prowler & Phantom of the Opera. From the second album, Wrathchild, Murders, & Killers.
Old 02-01-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I became a Maiden fan when Number of the Beast arrived. I was a huge fan of Dickinson's voice, so I thought Di'Anno's vocals paled in comparison. Around the time Seventh Son came out, I was starting to drift as a fan and was looking for some "new" Maiden to appreciate. I went back to the 1st album and Killers and started to really get into them. His vocals were very appropriate for the music and I just had to stop comparing and just enjoy.
Old 02-01-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the lack of production is what makes the first album better, but Murders in the Rue Morgue was my favorite song for years...
Old 02-01-11, 01:05 PM

"Phantom Of The Opera" might be my favorite song of all time.
Old 02-01-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite Maiden albums in order of preference.

1. Iron Main - s/t
2. Killers
3. Number of the Beast
4. Piece of Mind.

Dianno-era Maiden is my favorite. I've been a fan since early summer 1981.

I rarely listen to anything recorded after Piece of Mind, but I worship those first 4 albums and the B-side single/ep tracks from that era.
Old 02-01-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the song-writing on the first two albums, but DiAnno does little for me. Not so bad that I won't listen, but not good enough to keep me interested. Killers is worlds ahead of the S/T in my book though.
Old 02-01-11, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Killers is a fan-fucking-tastic album. Right from the word go the band is firing on all cylinders, and "Murders in the Rue Morgue" is one of their all-time best tracks. Pretty much the entire album is loaded with classics, and Di'Anno's voice is pitch perfect. The title track in particular is a great example of the music they could have made if Di'Anno had stayed. A brilliant album that any band would be hard pressed to top (but somehow the band did anyway).
Old 02-01-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
no love for somewhere in time?
I love Somewhere In Time and Powerslave, they are just a notch below the first 4

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.