Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen New Album

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Van Halen New Album

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-25-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 08:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

So did Roth ditch the "Dust-bowl newsie" look?

Thanks for posting Chris -- damn excited to see these guys live.
Old 02-09-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, I went with 3 Non-Halen fans (all not really into harder rock), and all were very impressed with the show, how well Eddie played, etc...My wife really liked them and even asked for some VH for her iPod
Old 02-09-12, 09:13 AM

^ Always a good sign. Same thing happened to me with my wife when I took her to The Cars show last year.
Old 02-09-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One more...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i9vp-NIvmRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Chrisedge; 02-09-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 09:44 AM

Chris - how did "Blood and Fire" sound? I think that's my favorite tune on the new album. Wondering if Roth led off with a story at all about that one similar to "Tattoo".
Old 02-09-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried to turn my 50 year old friend on to this album. i told him it sounds like the original Van Halen he used to listen to. He used to be a big hard rock fan.

He gave me back the CD the next day and said, "Can't get into this" and handed me an Old 97s and Lucinda Williams CD to borrow. I guess he's totally country now.
Old 02-09-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This new album is way better than I thought it would be. It's missing Michael Anthony's back-up vocals (which was always VH's secret weapon) but every other element is better than they've been in a long, long time. Also, the songs are there.

The album reminds me of "Fair Warning": a straight up hard rock ass kicker. No keyboards, no ballads.
Old 02-09-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Watching the videos a couple of things popped out at me. From the distance Dave reminds me of Robbin Williams and Dave really needs a mic/mic stand. He looks really odd just walking around the stage like an Amway presenter w/o any prop.
Old 02-09-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Chris - how did "Blood and Fire" sound? I think that's my favorite tune on the new album. Wondering if Roth led off with a story at all about that one similar to "Tattoo".
I don't think so... (I am at work, but brought my camera in so I can check) I think the only "story" leading into a new song was that one before Tattoo.

I will post a another song or two tonight, and getting lots of requests for the new ones (China Town and B&F)...so that is a good sign.

I really liked Ice Cream Man, Dave started off on acoustic guitar by himself on stage, and after a verse or two, the band kicked in.
Old 02-09-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Chris,

Did you tape audio as well?
Old 02-09-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emanon
Chris,

Did you tape audio as well?
No, I didn't. There was zero search (not that I really worry about that) but I find filming easier in a lot of ways because everyone has a camera phone and one more camera isn't gonna stand out. Doing audio (on top of video, cause I like doing video now too) is a bit harder. Hiding mics & wires, stealthing the gear, etc...It's more "stressful" than just shooting the whole thing on my camera.

I still like to do audio, I just kinda prefer video now. I don't feel obligated to share all the video, I can post 2-4 songs on YouTube. Whereas audio, it's kinda all or nothing.
Old 02-09-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad I missed out on buying into a stop on this tour if these videos are indication of the entertainment level. Dave appears to have the bare minimum of energy from song one, and the overall charisma of my grandpa trying to sing and dance to Justin Bieber tunes...and more embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch, judging by the crowd in the second video. They seem to be enjoying themselves about as much as they would be at a wood stain application seminar. I love VH and everything, but this looks like a show I would most likely leave in the middle of.
Old 02-09-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Glad I missed out on buying into a stop on this tour if these videos are indication of the entertainment level. Dave appears to have the bare minimum of energy from song one, and the overall charisma of my grandpa trying to sing and dance to Justin Bieber tunes...and more embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch, judging by the crowd in the second video. They seem to be enjoying themselves about as much as they would be at a wood stain application seminar. I love VH and everything, but this looks like a show I would most likely leave in the middle of.
Couple of points:
This was a Friends and Family Dress Rehearsal. It was much more "relaxed" than what I believe will be the final product.

Most of the negative comments on my clips are coming from "Dave needs a mic stand" as he looks a bit uncomforable moving around on stage.

The crowd WAS into the show, but there were a lot of celebrities there, and LA is not know for being great crowds. But again I sensed they dug it, and everyone around me was into it.

I've seen them multiple times (Once with DLR and many times with Sammy) and this was probably the best the SOUNDED. Eddie was on fire and DLR still sounded decent (I don't think he was ever the best sounding singer, and Sammy could sing rings around him, but DLR always seemed a better "fit" than Sammy). Wolfie filled in nicely for MA and I didn't miss MA's background vocals at all.
Old 02-09-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see. Well, hopefully videos that surface of subsequent shows will reflect a better overall experience.

I wasn't trying to be negative, by the way. I was just giving an impression of what I got from the video.
Old 02-09-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Watching the videos a couple of things popped out at me. From the distance Dave reminds me of Robbin Williams and Dave really needs a mic/mic stand. He looks really odd just walking around the stage like an Amway presenter w/o any prop.
Yeah he used to look so natural on stage (see below). Now he looks like he's trying to figure out what to do with his hands.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cjco1bDg20Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah he used to look so natural on stage (see below). Now he looks like he's trying to figure out what to do with his hands.
After watching the video you posted and watching the new videos...get Dave a microphone to hold! Stat!
Old 02-09-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I'm still having a hard time seeing Dave with his hair looking very business-like. Hopefully he can work through not having anything in his hands. Just looks like he's lost some of his rock n roll attitude. Hate to say he's the weak link since the other guys seemed to be having a good time, Eddie especially.
Old 02-09-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'm still having a hard time seeing Dave with his hair looking very business-like. Hopefully he can work through not having anything in his hands. Just looks like he's lost some of his rock n roll attitude. Hate to say he's the weak link since the other guys seemed to be having a good time, Eddie especially.
Dave does not have enough hair to do anything but business-like...
Old 02-09-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You guys like the new album? I think it's horrible. Eddie's scraping around for hooks and mostly not finding them. Dave appears to be choosing lyrics seemingly at random. If you told me he wrote all the lyrics for this album while having a stroke I would absolutely believe it. "Stay Frosty" would be decent if it weren't an obvious attempt at recapturing the feel of "Ice Cream Man" and failing, and again featuring some awful lyrics. The absolute nicest thing I can say about this album is that I will forget it very quickly.
Thank you that is about what I was going to say. Not one decent chorus on the whole CD?? WTF is everyone hearing that I am not? I agree that the diehard VH fans were waiting for this for a long time but... as a music fan I can't believe anyone likes this. It may sell a lot the first week but will sink like a stone after that.
And I am a VH fan I grew up with them and Kiss, Led Zeplin, Alice Cooper etc...
Old 02-09-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blood And Fire
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ImtFhZDHZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hot For Teacher
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IVMGoKSDFOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Dave does not have enough hair to do anything but business-like...
I guess I wished his appearance would project a more "You don't know what might happen tonight" feeling rather than "We're safe as kittens" feeling. I can see he's trying, with the leg kicks and all. I would think it will take a few shows before the kinks get ironed out and they can really let loose. I'd like to see them live but not entirely sold yet.

Oh, thanks for posting the videos. You're one lucky sonofabitch.
Old 02-09-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just dug up some old pics I took of the boys back in the day, pretty sure this was the 1984 album tour.

Last edited by TheGuy; 02-10-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, Dave needs to seriously lose that fuckin' hat.
Old 02-10-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Seeing Dave without a mic stand....that's gotta change!! Like others have said, he seems like he doesn't really know what to do with his arms/hands. I kept waiting for jazz hands!

Wolfie just seems so out of place. VH was always the ultimate party band, but you just don't get that vibe from this lineup, IMO. But, I'm still going to see them just so I can hear the classics that they didn't play with Sammy.

On that note, it would be interesting to hear Dave try and tackle stuff like Amsterdam, Black and Blue or Runaround.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.