DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Van Halen New Album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/584951-van-halen-new-album.html)

Barth 01-24-11 07:18 PM

Van Halen New Album
 
Looks like they are sticking to their word from the reunion tour and making a new album. I'm looking forward to this but I still wish Michael Anthony was playing bass and doing backup vocals. The two songs they did on the greatest hits album were solid.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...4407&GT1=28102

cungar 01-24-11 07:40 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 10606460)
The two songs they did on the greatest hits album were solid.

That was (believe it or not) 15 years ago.

Michael Corvin 01-24-11 08:06 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10606499)
That was (believe it or not) 15 years ago.

:lol: Wow.

islandclaws 01-25-11 11:37 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
I'm game.

al_bundy 01-25-11 11:39 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
why can't the 80's just die?

great band in it's time. i used to know a die hard VH fan and even he didn't like the last album they did

unless they get a good 21st century sound i predict it will be as successful as Asia Carrera's return to porn

islandclaws 01-25-11 12:06 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
Well, to be fair, their last album was with Gary Cherone. They haven't had a new disc of DLR vocals since '83.

JZ1276 01-25-11 06:11 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10607388)
why can't the 80's just die?

great band in it's time. i used to know a die hard VH fan and even he didn't like the last album they did

unless they get a good 21st century sound i predict it will be as successful as Asia Carrera's return to porn

whoa! Asia Carrera returned to porn? I did not know about this...and why was this bad???

wm lopez 01-25-11 06:20 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10607388)
why can't the 80's just die?

great band in it's time. i used to know a die hard VH fan and even he didn't like the last album they did

unless they get a good 21st century sound i predict it will be as successful as Asia Carrera's return to porn

80's can not die because after the 80's the music in all fields except country went bad. So all these people from that era crave for good music and have nothing to hold on to but 80's bands.
It's gotten so bad that to this day I now like 80's music that I hated back in the 80's like that latino techno street music of bands like EXPOSE.

Michael Corvin 01-25-11 06:25 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
80's music was dreadful.

porieux 01-25-11 06:47 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
I'm not sure why VH is being labeled an 80s band, their heyday was in the 70s.

Flashback 01-25-11 07:27 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by porieux (Post 10608097)
I'm not sure why VH is being labeled an 80s band, their heyday was in the 70s.

Because from Woman and Children to OU182 were all 80's. I think only the first 2 were the 70's

nodeerforamonth 01-25-11 11:05 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10608076)
80's music was dreadful.

Not if you listened thrash metal or alternative music. It was the most explosive, prolific decade in musical history.

Nice threadcrap though.

rw2516 01-26-11 06:15 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Flashback (Post 10608134)
Because from Woman and Children to OU182 were all 80's. I think only the first 2 were the 70's

Plus they were still appearing as an opening act until the 80s.

Michael Corvin 01-26-11 11:05 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10608476)
Nice threadcrap though.

:hscratch: Huh? I was responding to the post above mine. How's that a treadcrap?

And yeah, I like my share of 80s metal (Queensryche, Metallica & Tesla are three of my favorite bands). I also love me some Hagar-Van Halen.

Flashback 01-26-11 11:38 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10608964)
I also love me some Hagar-Van Halen.

OKAY now that is a threadcrap!!!! ;)

Michael Corvin 01-26-11 11:40 AM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
:lol: Okay, I'll give you that one. Apologies to everyone.

Supermallet 01-26-11 02:01 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10608076)
80's music was dreadful.

Yawn. Wrong.

Jason 01-26-11 03:54 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
As far as I'm concerned, there are only six Van Halen albums. Saw the reunion tour on the second leg (after Eddie dried out again) and it was great. My care-o-meter is reading zero for this. Not because Michael Anthony isn't on board (though he should be) but because it's pointless.

al_bundy 01-26-11 05:15 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 10608068)
80's can not die because after the 80's the music in all fields except country went bad. So all these people from that era crave for good music and have nothing to hold on to but 80's bands.
It's gotten so bad that to this day I now like 80's music that I hated back in the 80's like that latino techno street music of bands like EXPOSE.



Plenty if good rock bands in the last 20 years

Foo fighters
Nirvana pearl jam
MusE
Kings of leon

wm lopez 01-26-11 06:18 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10608076)
80's music was dreadful.

It had everything type for everybody.
SPEED METAL
DEATH METAL
POSER METAL
GOTH UNDER GROUND DANCE
ARENA ROCK
U.K. POP HIT GROUPS
SADE
SOFT ROCK
RAP was starting out. (good thing or bad)
The only thing that was not around was the GRUNGE & GANGSTA RAP.
Black musci was still putting out love songs in the forum of R&B.
WTF was so dreadful??!!!
All original music except for the rap samples towards the later 80's.

nodeerforamonth 01-27-11 08:24 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10608964)
:hscratch: Huh? I was responding to the post above mine. How's that a treadcrap?

Sorry. You're right. I jumped the gun a little on that one.

The 80's RULED when it came to (good) music though. Of course the pop charts sucked, but isn't that always the case?

nodeerforamonth 01-27-11 08:25 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10609559)
Plenty if good rock bands in the last 20 years

Foo fighters
Nirvana pearl jam
MusE
Kings of leon

The Wildhearts
Supersuckers
Turbonegro
The Hellacopters
Jim Jones Revue

I could name hundreds more...

Geofferson 01-28-11 01:27 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 
Any talk of new VH w/ DLR gets my attention. Hopefully this actually gets made :)

cungar 01-28-11 02:10 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10611490)
The Wildhearts
Supersuckers
Turbonegro
The Hellacopters
Jim Jones Revue

I could name hundreds more...

Wow I was into some obscure stuff in the 80s and I have never heard of any of those bands.

DRG 01-28-11 03:26 PM

Re: Van Halen New Album
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 10609690)
The only thing that was not around was the GRUNGE & GANGSTA RAP.

Even those genres were represented to some degree, at least in the tail end of the decade.

Sub Pop was putting out releases by grunge acts like Soundgarden and Nirvana as early as 87/88. For gangsta, NWA's Straight Outta Compton came out in '88, and Ice-T was doing an early version of gangsta rap since 86 or so.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.