Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Michael Jackson "Michael" December

Old 11-08-10, 08:17 AM

Re: Michael Jackson "Michael" December

My thoughts exactly, ScissorPuppy.

We must also remember that if these are Michael's vocals, they are most probably from what he considered an early demo, and haven't necessarily gone through the processing and production that his released albums have.

I also think that he was doing some new vocal training after Invincible, or at least there were reports of him wanting to work on his voice. But having said that, I thought that the plan was to make him sound more masculine!

If it's not Michael singing, I very much doubt that Sony would do this on purpose (unless Michael left behind absolutely nothing to work with). It could even be someone Michael himself hired to do the vocals for the demo tracks.

I could also think of a situation where someone working with Michael in the studio would now have their own interests at play, doing everything they can to get the songs onto the album, including faking vocals. A writer's or producer's credit on the first posthumous MJ album is probably worth quite a lot in royalties alone!

But as I said, I don't know what to think. Let's see what else they've got.
Old 11-08-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Latest tweet from a member of 3T

Taryll

On Monday 8th November 2010, @Taryll said:

If you question the validity of a professional photo you can ask the photographer for more pictures from that photo shoot. If it is authentic the photographer will turn over different shots. Some with different poses, some even with eyes closed. I questioned the validity of the vocal's on "breaking news" and several other songs of theirs that I've heard and they told me no other takes or tracks exist. They claim my uncle was so happy with the performance he instructed them to delete all the other files. I had the honor to learn and watch my uncle record my entire life and that is NOT how he worked. No outtakes, no other tracks, no backups, no proof. roughly 10 songs they turned in… same story for all of them. I asked for the computer it was created on... they said it broke. I asked for the original hard drive... they said it was destroyed. One dubious excuse after another.
The thing is Teddy Riley who has worked with MJ a lot over the years produced and mixed this final version. Would he be fooled? Or would he be in on it? I dunno...

I'm leaning towards it being real at this point thinking that A. it was a demo B. MJ was in his late 40's in 2007 and his voice was probably breaking down (He said himself in TII he had to conserve his voice for the right times).

Last edited by ScissorPuppy; 11-08-10 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-08-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snippets of other songs are starting to leak...

These are definantly MJ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzlN...layer_embedded
Old 11-08-10, 10:31 AM

I've been hoping that they would include "Another Day" on the album, as I think it's probably the best one of his unreleased tracks that I have heard.
Old 11-08-10, 05:57 PM

I have to say that Breaking News has really grown on me. I didn't know what to think of it when I first listened to it, but now I really like it.

In regards to whether it's fake or not, I kinda doubt Sony would risk putting out a fake or a soundalike. I think it sounds different because these were unfinished tracks. I don't know, I just don't buy into the conspiracy theories though.
Old 11-08-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm leaning towards it being real with production issues causing the confusion.
Although hardcore MJ fans are not having it, visit any MJ fansite and they are claiming fake. Which is strange... I doubt Sony cares that much, but I wonder what they will do about that? Probably not much.

Elvis had Orion and now MJ has this, the difference is RCA wasn't releasing Orion songs AS ELVIS! LOL!
Old 11-09-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The vocal only track has leaked! Some of this is obviously MJ to me, but comparing it to the final track it's obvious that Sony had someone else finish the song. It also seems like breaths, whoos, and other trademark MJ sounds were lifted from other songs! Evidently Sony are having an emergency meeting today to decide whether to include this and the other 2 Casico tracks.

EDIT:Looks like it was taken down. If your interested do a search, I'm sure now that's it out there it will be easy to find.
Old 11-09-10, 12:30 PM

Sony has now released a new version of "Breaking News" with alternative vocals: http://breakingnews.michaeljackson.com/ROW/

Edit: Or are those really alternative vocals? I can't say any more.

Last edited by vili; 11-09-10 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 09:05 AM

Huffington Post writes:

The first of the Cascio tracks to be heard--"Breaking News"--obviously isn't a perfect realization of Jackson's abilities. Receiving the most critical attention are Jackson's vocals, the veracity of which even some family and fans are questioning. There are understandable reasons for this. This certainly isn't a "typical" Jackson recording: there weren't extensive warm ups with longtime vocal coach Seth Riggs, no layering and polishing by Jackson himself, no Bruce Swedien and world-class studio technology to capture the original vocal. This was a guide demo, supplemented by the supporting vocals of James Porte (for which he is credited), and produced nearly four years later by Teddy Riley.
But concludes that by all professional accounts, it really should be Michael (for the most part, anyway).
Old 12-08-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Full album is streaming on MJ's facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/michaeljacks...pp_11007063052
Old 12-08-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
Full album is streaming on MJ's facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/michaeljacks...pp_11007063052
I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but I'm really enjoying it. The song with Lenny Kravitz is quite good.
Old 12-13-10, 03:36 PM

I just heard about this album like 15 min ago , sounds pretty good so far^^^.

Is this a home made computer generated album or did Mike have an album ready to go before he died? I suppose that would make more sense of what "This is it" tour was for. If this is the case what all was changed, album name, songs etc etc??
Old 12-13-10, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fromundacheese View Post
Is this a home made computer generated album or did Mike have an album ready to go before he died? I suppose that would make more sense of what "This is it" tour was for. If this is the case what all was changed, album name, songs etc etc??
They are bits and pieces from various periods taken from what he left behind. It is impossible to say what Michael would have released had he been able to complete an album, and in what form the songs would have been.

Some songs on Michael had been more or less finished, while others were built from scraps and notes by the various producers after Michael's death. The oldest songs come from the Thriller era (Behind the Mask and Much Too Soon), while the most recent one is from 2009 (Best of Joy).

Personally, I'm surprised how much I like the album. I've been playing it ever since it was made available for streaming, and now from the CD. I don't seem to be able to get enough of it. It doesn't have Michael's finishing touches on it, but in a way that is also nice.

It would have been great if they had released a special edition with a second CD containing the actual demos and other pieces left behind by Jackson and from which these songs were built.
Old 12-13-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the vocals are him, but admittedly a listen to the album shows why I lost interest in him years ago (but I do love his stuff from Jackson 5 through HIStory), he got more into the bland midtempo r&b and the upbeat songs are trying to rehash Dangerous.

Some of the subsequent posthumous albums are going to delve deeper into the 70's, 80's and 90's work while this was more or less stuff he'd been working on in his last years, so those will interest me more.
Old 12-13-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...kson-new-album
The row behind the new Michael Jackson CD
Producer Teddy Riley, the man behind Michael Jackson's posthumous new album, has had to fight the singer's family to get the CD released

Rebecca Nicholson guardian.co.uk,
Sunday 12 December 2010 07.59 GMT
Article history

Michael Jackson's mother has said 'some of the tracks on the album are fake'.

A Michael Jackson release is rarely without controversy, and Michael, the singer's highly anticipated posthumous album which hits shops today, is no exception. As soon as its release was announced to the world, his dismayed mother Katherine Jackson suggested to Oprah that "some of the tracks on the album are fake", while Quincy Jones, the man behind Thriller, added to the chorus of disapproval, declaring that the new CD "should have all stayed in the vault".

It's a controversial album because, of course, its artist is dead, and the songs were formed from part-finished vocal tracks, recorded in 2007 at the request of his record company Sony. Three of the tracks were completed by the producer Teddy Riley, who worked on the 1992 album Dangerous with Jackson and was responsible for his hit Remember The Time.

Riley insists that his friend Jackson would have approved: "I'm confident he would have wanted his message out there, and that's what counts," he says. In fact, Riley is so pleased with the way Michael turned out that he's optimistic for even more posthumous releases. "They have enough [material]," he says. "Because Michael's songs are all about love, we could take vocals from here, put it with vocals from this. It's easy to do and I've demonstrated that." Producing songs in this way was a first for Riley, and he admits "it was quite interesting working on it and not having him to come in and do the vocals over".

Although that is one of the main arguments of the album's detractors, Riley has short shrift for his critics. "It put me in a position where I had to fight for my friend," he says, defending his role in its release. "I fought against his family – big time. The only reason I fought against them all and fought against the fans was to make them believe that this is Michael Jackson's vocals."

He says the family's objections were "disappointing" and that it should not have been a public matter, "especially when you're reaping the benefits". And he is equally dismissive of veteran producer Quincy Jones. "Look at his age. He can barely hear you talk. How the hell could he hear Michael? Anybody who says [it is not Jackson on the album], I do have a comeback, because you're not right. That's just the bottom line."
Old 12-13-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was a low blow of Riley to bash Jones like that. Quincy is a living legend, Teddy's a guy who had a few r&b hits 20 years ago and was lucky enough to be recruited by MJ to be "90's fresh"
Old 12-13-10, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by vili View Post
They are bits and pieces from various periods taken from what he left behind. It is impossible to say what Michael would have released had he been able to complete an album, and in what form the songs would have been.

Some songs on Michael had been more or less finished, while others were built from scraps and notes by the various producers after Michael's death. The oldest songs come from the Thriller era (Behind the Mask and Much Too Soon), while the most recent one is from 2009 (Best of Joy).

Personally, I'm surprised how much I like the album. I've been playing it ever since it was made available for streaming, and now from the CD. I don't seem to be able to get enough of it. It doesn't have Michael's finishing touches on it, but in a way that is also nice.

It would have been great if they had released a special edition with a second CD containing the actual demos and other pieces left behind by Jackson and from which these songs were built.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-10, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
That was a low blow of Riley to bash Jones like that. Quincy is a living legend, Teddy's a guy who had a few r&b hits 20 years ago and was lucky enough to be recruited by MJ to be "90's fresh"
X1000!!!

I am not sure I want to buy this album as it is not Mike's album and it would be totally impossible to even come close to making an album that Michael Jackson would have made.

If this album was Quincy's work then I would buy it but I feel guilty giving a single dime to the actual grubbing people that are behind this album.
Old 12-13-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to what I have read, Original vocal recording was done at the following times.

2007 1. Hold My Hand (Duet with Akon)
2008 2. Hollywood Tonight
2007 3. Keep Your Head Up
2002 4. (I Like) The Way You Love Me
2007 5. Monster (Featuring 50 Cent)
2009 6. Best Of Joy
2007 7. Breaking News
2000 8. (I Can’t Make It) Another Day (Featuring Lenny Kravitz)
1981 9. Behind The Mask
(1981 and 1994, it is uncertain which vocal was used)10. Much Too Soon
Old 12-14-10, 11:45 AM

Well I went ahead and bought this considering it was only $8 at Amazon. While it does bother me a bit that this album is not directly from Michael Jackson , at least these were songs that he wrote, sung and very likely considered putting on albums. And you know Michael was way critical. From what I heard on that Facebook page , this is some good stuff. I stopped listening at Facebook after a few songs and bought the album, I look forward to hearing the rest of it.
Old 12-14-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy this cd, some of the songs are pretty good. I don't consider it an album though, it's a collection of previously unheard tracks.

It's well documented that MJ had recorded a good amount of music since 2001's Invincible, off the top of my head I can think of at least 15 or so tracks known to exist. I would have preferred the estate tried to release a final album of recent material and then went the route of releasing older tracks.
Old 12-14-10, 01:54 PM

I don't consider it an album though, it's a collection of previously unheard tracks.
I agree.
Old 12-14-10, 02:03 PM

I have to say that after seeing 'This is It' around 10 times now it is clear that Michael Jackson was a genius , I really wish I could have seen him in concert once.
You left us WAY WAY WAY too early.
Rest in peace Michael.
Old 12-14-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to what I have read, Original vocal recording was done at the following times.

2007 1. Hold My Hand (Duet with Akon)
2008 2. Hollywood Tonight
2007 3. Keep Your Head Up
2002 4. (I Like) The Way You Love Me
2007 5. Monster (Featuring 50 Cent)
2009 6. Best Of Joy
2007 7. Breaking News
2000 8. (I Can’t Make It) Another Day (Featuring Lenny Kravitz)
1981 9. Behind The Mask
(1981 and 1994, it is uncertain which vocal was used)10. Much Too Soon

Interesting, the three tracks I like the most date back the furthest. I think like Thriller (even though side 1 has Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Thriller, the second half is flawless while the first half had The Girl Is Mine) and Bad before it (the second half was nonstop hits), "Michael"'s second half far eclipses the first.
Old 12-14-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hold My Hand

Often sounds more like an Akon song featuring Michael.

The album is OK. I like some of the fast tempo songs like Hollywood, Monster, and Breaking News. But nothing really makes me want to immediately buy the CD.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.