Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011

Originally Posted by Obey The D
They just put up a 30 second clip Here.
SOUNDS GREAT!

I hope the whole album is non-stop ROCK!
Old 02-06-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

This looks promising, I liked the aucoustic stuff, but I like them much more for their straight up rock songs. I was at the point where I was looking forward to a new Vultures album moreso than Foo Fighters ... seems like I might change my mind (though I want a new Vultures album too).
Old 02-16-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

New FOO documentary film in the works, more album detials and new video (w/Lemmy)!

From Blabbermouth.net

The title and track listing of FOO FIGHTERS' upcoming seventh full-length studio album has been revealed. "Wasting Light" will be released April 12 by Roswell/RCA and will consist of the following tracks:

01. Bridge Burning
02. Rope
03. Dear Rosemary
04. White Limo
05. Arlandria
06. These Days
07. Back & Forth
08. A Matter Of Time
09. Miss The Misery
10. I Should Have Known
11. Walk

First single "Rope" will be available beginning March 1 both as a digital single and as an instant grat with the iTunes pre-order of "Wasting Light".

Meanwhile, FOO FIGHTERS celebrated Valentine's Day with a gift to their beloved fans: Those valentines who visited (or continue to visit) whitelimo.foofighters.com received a token of affection dedicated to them by Dave Grohl: A kick-ass shot-on-VHS video of "White Limo" starring MOTÖRHEAD's own Lemmy Kilmister as the driver and Grohl (and wife Jordyn), Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Chris Shiflett and Pat Smear as players in scenarios no doubt familiar to any aficionado of "classic" '80s hard rock videos.

Produced by Butch Vig and mixed by Alan Moulder, "Wasting Light" was recorded entirely on analog tape in the garage of Grohl's home in California's San Fernando Valley. The no-computers/no-software back to basics approach has resulted in arguably the strongest and most cohesive effort of the band's 15-year-plus career: From first single "Rope" to the frenetic opener "Bridge Burning" to the beautifully bipolar "These Days" to stunning guest spots from Bob Mould ("Dear Rosemary") and Krist Novoselic ("I Should Have Known"), "Wasting Light" is a singular triumph: a band that's headlined arenas, stadiums and festivals the world over stripping itself down to the bare essentials and coming up with a world-class band's finest hour.

Concurrent with the album's release, Exclusive Media Group's documentary division Spitfire Pictures are producing a feature documentary about the FOO FIGHTERS directed by Academy Award winner James Moll ("The Last Days", "Running The Sahara"). Co-produced and co-financed by Exclusive Media Group and RCA Records, Moll 's documentary chronicles the entire history of the FOO FIGHTERS, from the cassette demos Grohl recorded during his tenure as NIRVANA 's drummer through their ascent to their Grammy -winning, multi-platinum, arena and stadium headlining status as one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. This chronicling of the FOO FIGHTERS ' triumphs and tragedies culminates in an in-depth behind the scenes perspective on the making of the new album: A process in which the band pushed itself forward by returning to its roots and recording in Grohl 's garage completely on analog tape.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ebJ2brErERQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Sweet news. I'll be getting the album on vinyl and the documentary for sure.
Old 02-17-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Shitty vocals.
Old 02-23-11, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New single "Rope"-

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/0...fighters-rope/

Quite frankly, I think it kicks ass.
Old 02-23-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just opened my email and started listening to it as well. Really liking it a lot too!
Old 02-23-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't real impressed with that one. I liked White Limo better.
Old 02-23-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Wasn't real impressed with that one. I liked White Limo better.
I agree as well.
Old 02-23-11, 05:03 PM

Hearing Rope on a live recording, didn't care as much for it, but the album version is fantastic.

Great song, cant wait.
Old 02-23-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by miller_time22
New single "Rope"-

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/0...fighters-rope/

Quite frankly, I think it kicks ass.
I actually love it, so if this isn't the best of the bunch, I think this album will be great.
Old 02-24-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rope was ok, but I hope the others are a lot better.
Old 02-24-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rope is great - it feels fresh while still maintaining the signature Foo Fighters sound. I can't fucking wait for this record.
Old 03-02-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

First, Woofman - thanks for posting that vid - awesome.

Seems like they lost that pop feel they had and I love both singles I've heard so far.....I'm not even a foo fighters fan either.
Old 03-12-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Foo Fighters to Release Covers Album for Record Store Day
Four days after releasing their seventh album "Wasting Light," Foo Fighters are releasing a covers album in honor of 2011's Record Store Day. The album, titled "Medium Rare," will feature covers of songs such as Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar," Cream's "I Feel Free" and Paul McCartney and Wings' "Band on the Run." "Medium Rare" will be released on vinyl April 16. (NME)

BILLBOARD.com
Old 03-12-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I guess that will be vinyl only, which stinks. They have done some good covers over the years, including Darling Nikki and I'm In Love With A German Film Star.
Old 03-12-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want that but I don't have a record store around here participating in Record Store Day. So unless I can get out of town or score a copy on eBay or something I'm out of luck .
Old 03-14-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBArTIXhUcg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBArTIXhUcg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

This could go in Movie Talk I guess but thought might as well just post it here - looks awesome. April 5th it's showing along with a live stream of the Foo's playing the entire new record front to back - more info on their website - right now it only lists US cities as an option but I really hope some movie theatres in Canada show this.
Old 03-17-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Managed to score two tickets to see them in Council Bluffs, Iowa on May 23rd. Not quite sure who I'll go with yet but I'm excited as hell!!
Old 03-18-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Mike86
Managed to score two tickets to see them in Council Bluffs, Iowa on May 23rd. Not quite sure who I'll go with yet but I'm excited as hell!!
I live in Omaha and would buy you a beer or 2 if you take me
Old 03-19-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I live in Omaha and would buy you a beer or 2 if you take me
A beer or 2? If he takes you then you should buy him a case of whatever beer he prefers. ;-)
Old 03-20-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Foo Fighters Become 'F**kin' Movie Stars,' Play New Album at SXSW

"We're f***in' movie stars!"

That's how Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl greeted the packed crowd at the band's surprise show Tuesday night at Stubb's, part of a Media Temple party closing the South By Southwest Interactive conference. And it was indeed a day Grohl and company got to play movie stars, with the world premiere of the revealing James Moll-directed documentary "Back and Forth" as well as a chance to play the group's forthcoming seventh studio album, "Wasting Light," in its entirety.

Those lucky enough to have made it into Stubb's didn't have to wait long for fresh fare, either. Foo Fighters kicked off the 21-song, hour-and-50-minute show by playing "Wasting Light's" 11 songs front to back, from the explosive hard rocker "Bridge Burning" and the sinewy single "Rope" to the punky "White Limo," the dynamic "These Days," the reflective "I Should Have Known" (which on record reunites Grohl with surviving Nirvana bandmate Krist Novoselic) and the ringingly melodic "Walk." The band sounded like it had been playing the songs for years, and while"Miss the Misery" and Matter of Time" seemed to connect particularly well with the crowd, all of the new songs were greeted enthusiastically.

An appreciative Foo Fighters, assisted by keyboardist Rami Jaffee on several songs, then rewarded that indulgence with a passel of what Grohl called "massive f***ing hits," nearly everything any fan of the band could want - including "All My Life," "Times Like These," "Learn to Fly," "The Pretender," "Monkey Wrench," "Everlong," "Best of You," "This is a Call" and a charged, extended version of "Stacked Actors." Exhorting the "industry motherf***ers" to sing along during "My Hero," Grohl playfully admonished their attempts ("You clearly need to do more shots!") but also expressed genuine gratitude "to still be here playing for you… people." He also noted that the show was somewhat shorter than the Foos would have liked to play and promised to "be back soon and play for two hours and 45 minutes" - though nobody at Stubb's was complaining with that they did get.

Earlier in the evening the Foos drove the limousine from the "White Limo" video (but without Lemmy at the wheel) to the screening of "Back and Forth" at Austin's Paramount Theatre. The group was greeted with cheers from fans outside as they disembarked, and prior to the film Grohl commented that "when we were pulling up the street…I was looking around thinking, 'God, I wonder who else has a f***ing movie today, because I couldn't imagine that so many people would want to see this." He also noted that the group refers to the film as "the history of us getting fat" and that watching it is "weird. It's kind of like showering together or something - which we do."

"Back and Forth" chronicles Foo Fighters' history from Grohl's days in Nirvana through his adventures as a one-man band and beyond. It features interviews with all of the current band members as well as former members William Goldsmith and Franz Stahl, along with a wealth of historical footage and personal still photos as well as new scenes of the group making "Wasting Light" - including scenes of recording with guests Novoselic and Bob Mould - in Grohl's garage in Encino, Calif.

The film will have a limited theatrical run on April 5 prior to its April 8 premiere on VH1, VH1 Classic and Palladia. Foo Fighters perform at the mtvU Woodie Awards on Wednesday in Austin and kick off a U.S. tour on May 17 in Tulsa, Okla. "Wasting Light" comes out April 12.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 03-20-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Foo Fighters Discuss 'Back and Forth' Documentary at SXSW

Foo Fighters agreed that "we're not sure we like movies at all," according to Dave Grohl. "The commitment of having to sit there for an hour and 45 minutes and have your emotions manipulated… I dunno," Pat Smear tells Billboard.com.

But they were happy to have a movie made about them.

Sitting together Wednesday at the bucolic Zilker Club House in Austin, away from the hubbub of South By Southwest where the James Moll-directed documentary "Back and Forth" had its world premiere the evening prior - followed by a rocking surprise concert at Stubb's - the Foo Fighters had nothing but praise for the way the project turned out.

"Personally, I thought it would be a good idea to now tell the story of the last 16 years, so it would make more sense to watch us make a record in a garage," explains Grohl, referencing the Foos' forthcoming "Wasting Light" album, which was indeed recorded in the garage of his "mansion" in Encino, Calif. "After selling out f***ing stadiums and becoming this big rock band, why would you make a garage record? To me the first hour and 20 minutes of the movie is leading up to that moment, where we go from the stadium to the garage… To me that's the message of the movie."

Moll, previously known for his historical documentaries - and who had once interviewed to direct "The Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing" - was tapped for "Back and Forth" by Nigel Sinclair of Spitfire Picture. "I've been wanting to make a rock documentary for years," says Moll, who also plays piano. "And I love the Foo Fighters. It was perfect."

With a relatively fast production schedule, Moll assembled 1,000 hours of historical and new footage, including shots of Foo Fighters recording "Wasting Light" with producer Butch Vig. The film is marked by frank interviews, including Grohl and Smear speaking as openly as they ever have about Nirvana, as well as chats with former Foo Fighters William Goldsmith and Franz Stahl and discussions about the band's darker periods as well as its successes.

"I think in the interview process (Moll) wasn't concerned with music. He wanted to know about heavy s**t," Grohl says. "He wanted to know about now how we did something, but why we did something and the relationship between us as people and how that's managed to survive for the last 16 years. The interviews he did with us were long and they were really deep and we said things we wouldn't necessarily say about each other."

"It was like 'Frost/Nixon,' basically," drummer Taylor Hawkins chimed in. "We had our own little 'Frost/Nixon.' James seems like this nice, little, quiet, shy guy, but he's actually a pushy little bastard…"

Moll says the band members were definitely up for the interrogations and generous with their thoughts - and with their willingness to give him ultimate control over the film. "They wanted me to make the film I wanted to make," Moll says. "Dave even said that to me; 'Yeah, this may be our story, but this is your film.' I asked him if he wanted to see a cut at one point in the middle of the process…He said, 'Nah, I'll just wait 'til it's finished.' And he did. They waited 'til it was done. I showed it to the whole band; there was a little bit of squirming in their seats, I think…and they said, 'There are moments that made us uncomfortable, but it's real. That's really the way it happened. Don't change a thing.' "

After the South By Southwest run, which includes another screening of the film on Friday, "Back and Forth" - named after one of the songs on "Wasting Light" - will have a limited theatrical showing on April 5 and premiere April 8 on VH1, VH1 Classic and Palladia. Spitfire and the band are hoping for a more traditional theatrical run, and a DVD with extras is also likely at some point.

Foo Fighters, meanwhile, are gearing up for the album's release and the tour to support it, which starts May 17 in Tulsa, Okla. "We have a way of doing this that we've always done," Grohl says. "We try to keep things very simple. We try to do it as much as we can without burning it out. It's disturbing to look at a schedule that's two years long. I've looked at January 2012 and it kind of scares me. It's overwhelming, but we'll get there. I can't wait to just go play shows."

And after playing "Wasting Light" in its entirety in Austin, he promises that fans can expect to hear plenty of the new album at Foo Fighters shows. "I love that we can play this new stuff and people enjoy it and they've never even heard it before," Grohl notes. "It's nice to make people listen for once."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 03-21-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
A beer or 2? If he takes you then you should buy him a case of whatever beer he prefers. ;-)
I meant at the show. That would cost about the same as a case from the store.
Old 03-22-11, 11:42 AM

First official Foo Fighters remix in 16 years.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8qnwtiC239g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.