DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/581362-foo-fighters-new-album-w-krist-novoselic-produced-butch-vig-2011-a.html)

gerrythedon 10-29-10 09:59 PM

FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011

Foo Fighters Return, Dave Grohl Recruits Krist Novoselic

The Foo Fighters will release a new album next year that features special help from singer Dave Grohl's old Nirvana bandmate, bassist Krist Novoselic, the frontman revealed to BBC Radio 1. The as-yet-untitled set, which would be the group's seventh studio album, is also being helmed by "Nevermind" producer Butch Vig.

Grohl told Radio 1 host Zane Lowe that he and his bandmates have spent the last month and a half "recording in my garage, totally old school analog," and that the group has finished seven songs thus far. "This whole project has been really cool. I haven't made a record with Butch for 20 years," he said.

The as-yet-untitled album will be the Foos' first since 2007's "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace," which earned a Grammy nod for album of the year and moved 889,000 units, according the Nielsen SoundScan. Afterwards, the band went on hiatus as Grohl focused on his drumming duties for Them Crooked Vultures, his hard-rock supergroup with Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age. During Foo Fighters' downtime, a "Greatest Hits" album was issued in Nov. 2009 and has since sold 333,000 copies.

Although their new album is incomplete, Foo Fighters have already announced two U.K. stadium shows at Buckinghamshire's Milton Keynes Bowl for July 2-3, 2011. Biffy Clyro, Death Cab For Cutie and Jimmy Eat World have been tapped as openers for the shows.

"I know the record and I can't wait 'til everyone else hears it," Grohl said. "Foo Fighter fans are going to freak out because honestly, it's awesome."

The band also plans to release a film that captures it in the studio. "Basically 2011 you're not gonna be able to get us out of your hair, that's what we're planning," Grohl said.

BILLBOARD.com

foofighters7 10-29-10 10:37 PM

Re: FOO FIGHTERS: New album w/ Krist Novoselic, produced by Butch Vig -2011

also hearing it is the hardest one yet....hehe

nodeerforamonth 10-29-10 11:55 PM

He claims there are "no ballads" or acoustic guitars on it. Let's hope so. I won't believe it until I hear it though. They need to start rockin' again!

Mike86 10-30-10 07:59 AM

Awesome news!! Been waiting for this news for a while one of my favorite bands right now.

Joeboo835 10-30-10 08:14 AM

Bob Mould also making an appearance. Can't wait.

http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/53600

nodeerforamonth 10-30-10 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Joeboo835 (Post 10461464)
Bob Mould also making an appearance. Can't wait.

http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/53600

WHAT?!?! WOW!!!

Ok, now I can't wait for this! (though Bob is another guy that needs to lay off the acoustic/ballads and start rockin' again)

foofighters7 10-30-10 10:01 AM

The analog recording process intrigues me quite a bit and leads me to think they are going for a rough raw sound which is conducive to hard rockin'.

I have no doubt it will be good, just what kind of good is the question. They do soft, its great, they do hard its great. Cant wait.

And of course, as my hehe in the earlier post made light of, Dave has said 6 other times 'THIS RECORD' is gonna be the hardest, but I feel this may actually be on the right track this time. I honestly don't know why he always said that anyway, as I was fine with the soft stuff too.

Decker 10-30-10 10:07 AM

That's great news. When Greatest Hits came out there were reports that the band was done. I didn't really believe that, but I'm sure happy they're coming back so soon and with a hard album.

cungar 10-30-10 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10461509)
WHAT?!?! WOW!!!

Ok, now I can't wait for this! (though Bob is another guy that needs to lay off the acoustic/ballads and start rockin' again)

Bob's acoustic stuff is great. Workbook is one of my favorite albums. He needs to lay off the electronica and dance grooves.

GuessWho 10-30-10 10:58 AM

With 2011 being a Foo year, fingers are crossed that they get a Lollapalooza headliner spot

nodeerforamonth 10-30-10 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10461618)
Bob's acoustic stuff is great. Workbook is one of my favorite albums. He needs to lay off the electronica and dance grooves.

Yes.

But let's not get carried away here. SOME of Bob's (and the Foo's) acoustic stuff is great. No, I'll even go as far to say "amazing". Like the acoustic version of "If I Can't Change Your Mind" (or for the Foo's, their acoustic version of "Times Like These"). But acoustic/ballad songs should be the exception, not the rule. Too much and you become an easy listening band.

Look at what happened to the Goo Goo Dolls... they used to be an in your face balls out pop punk band. Too many ballads and they turn to easy listening AOR schlock.

Drexl 10-30-10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 10461574)
The analog recording process intrigues me quite a bit and leads me to think they are going for a rough raw sound which is conducive to hard rockin'.

I hope the dynamic range will be old school as well.

mdc3000 10-30-10 05:18 PM

As a die hard Foo Fighters fan, all the news coming out about this record has me dying to hear it. Can't wait for 2011!!!

hippie68 10-30-10 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10462221)
As a die hard Foo Fighters fan, all the news coming out about this record has me dying to hear it. Can't wait for 2011!!!

I thought that this might be coming as they have been posting pics and video on their twitter. Really excited for this!

cdollaz 10-30-10 08:44 PM

I thought the last album was kinda weak, so I'm hoping for a return to form.

foofighters7 10-30-10 08:53 PM

thought their last album was one of their best. Top 2 or 3

Josh-da-man 10-31-10 02:50 AM

Is Dave going to get Frances Bean onto the album, too?

auto 10-31-10 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10462450)
I thought the last album was kinda weak, so I'm hoping for a return to form.

Agreed, actually haven't been a fan of the last two.

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 10462470)

No way! :lol:

astrochimp 10-31-10 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 10462470)

Same for me.

Mike86 10-31-10 11:17 AM

I've liked all the albums except I feel One By One is their weakest one so far. I don't hate it but its the one I listen to the least. All My Life is a good song though. As far as Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace I wouldn't say its the best they've done but it isn't bad, I'd probably rank them like this:

1. The Colour And The Shape
2. In Your Honor
3. Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace
4. Foo Fighters
5. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
6. One By One

Also I'd rank it separate since its live but I really love Skin and Bones too.

koops 10-31-10 02:59 PM

Yay for rating things :)

1. The Colour And The Shape
2. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
3. Foo Fighters
4. Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace
5. In Your Honor
6. One By One

gerrythedon 10-31-10 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10462783)
Is Dave going to get Frances Bean onto the album, too?

That would be interesting, even better to piss Courtney off.

foofighters7 10-31-10 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 10462969)
Agreed, actually haven't been a fan of the last two.

No way! :lol:

No, Way!

Great writing on it, great musically. It is hard to rate them for me, but If I am honest it would go TCATS, ESPG, then FF, with some days FF being 2nd.

They are all good to me including 1x1 but saying ESP&G was weak is just crazy. There is certainly nothing weak about it. Much stronger than some of them.

miller_time22 10-31-10 10:18 PM

I'd rank them as follows:

1) Foo Fighters
2) The Colour and the Shape
3) There is Nothing Left to Lose
4) Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
5) One by One
6) In Your Honor

Love them all though. I also really dig the Pocketwatch album as I love their early post-punk sound.

Really looking forward to the new one!

Robot Rock 10-31-10 11:19 PM

The Foo's really dropped off with Echoes. Grohl always seems to put his better efforts into other bands. Letting go of the acoustic guitars with this next album seems to be a step in the right direction.