Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Gene Simmons vs Pirates (and 4chan)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Gene Simmons vs Pirates (and 4chan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gene Simmons vs Pirates (and 4chan)

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The stereo my car came with has XM built in. The sound quality varies wildly from station to station and even on the same station it can vary song by song. I remember one Quiet Riot song came on and sounded almost completely unlistenable (it was amazingly compressed - digitally swishy and warbly, just terrible - like a 56k mp3).

I'm good at shooting things down.

That's how I listen to my music - I burn compilation CD's for the car or listen to the radio hoping to hear a song I like.

Believe me, I'd love to be able to listen to my station (live, not pre-recorded) or to spotify in the car, but I don't have the money to make that happen. C'est la vie. It is what it is.
No offense but if you have the time to post on a message board on your comp, then you should have enough time to listen to music on Spotify or even YouTube a few recommendations.

You sound like you don't want to look, but that you want it handed to you the way it was 20+ years ago. We're in a different age now, you're going to have to make an effort... its worth it IMO. I too would probably hate modern music if I relied on radio (sans NPR stations that play stuff more to my liking) as well.
Old 01-26-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
No offense but if you have the time to post on a message board on your comp, then you should have enough time to listen to music on Spotify or even YouTube a few recommendations.
The day I spent a lot of time on line I was off work, not the usual thing. I usually have 20 minutes in the morning and a little over an hour in the evening and that's it for my online time (and my station takes up about 45 minutes to an hour of my online time every day).

You sound like you don't want to look, but that you want it handed to you the way it was 20+ years ago. We're in a different age now, you're going to have to make an effort... its worth it IMO. I too would probably hate modern music if I relied on radio (sans NPR stations that play stuff more to my liking) as well.
Of course I want it handed to me, who wouldn't? I used to have 3 or 4 record companies sending me promo CD's, I had Kerrang and Metal Edge, and the local radio stations were still playing good new music. Who wouldn't want that situation?

Hell, I wanted to update my playlists more today, but I went to the San Diego State basketball game today (they crushed #15 New Mexico), so I just got home a little while ago and jumped on here for a few minutes.

Bottom line for me? Online stealing hurt the music industry and that's not a good thing. It's the same as if there were ways of stealing dozens of CD's at a time and not getting caught and that kind of thing happened at every store, every day. No one would say that kind of thing was OK, and everyone would understand how that hurts the entire music industry, from the CEO's and shareholders of the record companies to the artists to the employees mopping the floors for those record companies. Everyone involved gets hurt.

And that's a shame.
Old 01-26-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Spotify is absurdly easy to use, and free.

If that still doesn't work for you, just go to allmusic.com, look up bands you like, and look at the similar/related artists lists. I've found a ton of great bands that way. It doesn't take much time at all.

I think the real issue might be that the kind of music you like is no longer being made by many bands. I'm not claiming to know all of your tastes, but I've seen the threads you've started here, the threads you reply to here, etc. I will agree that there aren't many bands making music that sounds like 70's rock anymore, but there is no less good music now than there was then, it's just that the good music doesn't sound the same anymore.
One thing about "music" these days is that there is just sofuckingmuch out there. It's like starving at a banquet. It's overwhelming. There's just so much out there on equal footing that I find it impossible to sift through it all to find things I might like. I can spend an hour sampling new music on iTunes or Spotify or Youtube or Myspace and it all starts to sound the same and I can't separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 01-28-13, 09:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottom line for me? Online stealing hurt the music industry and that's not a good thing. It's the same as if there were ways of stealing dozens of CD's at a time and not getting caught and that kind of thing happened at every store, every day. No one would say that kind of thing was OK, and everyone would understand how that hurts the entire music industry, from the CEO's and shareholders of the record companies to the artists to the employees mopping the floors for those record companies. Everyone involved gets hurt.

And that's a shame.
And yet, as we've demonstrated here, that is not the reason you can't find new music. The industry needed to change and it took far too long to do it. If Spotify (or something like it) had shown up around the same time iTunes did, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One thing about "music" these days is that there is just sofuckingmuch out there. It's like starving at a banquet. It's overwhelming. There's just so much out there on equal footing that I find it impossible to sift through it all to find things I might like. I can spend an hour sampling new music on iTunes or Spotify or Youtube or Myspace and it all starts to sound the same and I can't separate the wheat from the chaff.
Take notes on the ones you liked, what you liked about it, etc. Not dissertations, just stuff like "Sleigh Bells: Really raw, good guitar sound" then you'll remember better. I had the same problem in December when I loaded the best of lists from Allmusic, Consequence of Sound, and some DJ friends into Spotify. I heard a shit ton of great music (and some bad music), then forgot which ones I really liked because I didn't take notes. Lesson learned.
Old 01-28-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kerrang still exists.
Old 01-28-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yes, and most of the music they cover these days is Kerrap for Kids written by the 3rd or 4th generation of Kerrang writers.

Part of what I liked so much about Kerrang back in the 80's and early 90's was the writers. They were smart, witty, and informative. My favorite story was completely ficticious, but totally played straight....

TOM JONES JOINS BLACK SABBATH!

(This was in the era where Sabbath changed vocalists every 18 months or so.)

They had a proposed stage set up drawn and everything. It was classic!
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and most of the music they cover these days is Kerrap for Kids written by the 3rd or 4th generation of Kerrang writers.
Times change. Not every magazine is Rolling Stone who still has ***** reviews lined up every time Dylan, Springsteen and U2 have new music out (them giving Springsteen's Working On A Dream 5-stars got a lot of people laughing since it was one of Bruce's weakest albums, but they give him 5-stars for breathing). These magazines are supposed to be covering what's going on in the present musically, and that means more contemporary bands. I don't really follow metal (I love the 80s stuff) but the hot bands that the younger generation of metalheads are into aren't the same bands that ruled 25 years ago. Just like how Alternative magazines don't cover Depeche Mode and The Cure all that much these days either. One of the main reasons people mock what RS has become is because they treat the old icons (Springsteen, Dylan, Stones, McCartney, U2, Neil Young, etc...) as if they are still the only artists that matter. Look how long it took RS to acknowledge freaking Radiohead and those guys have been around 20 years! When you read RS, you get the idea that Radiohead, Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters are the "hot new bands", and this is 2013.

Last edited by nothingfails; 01-28-13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

After everyone talking about Spotify i decided to check it out. Jesus what an awesome app. I didn't realize you could get the full albums. Only thing that sucks is i have a low data plan, and it seems to eat data up pretty quickly. Other than that i could actually see paying for the service once i figure out if i can get more data.
Old 01-29-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
After everyone talking about Spotify i decided to check it out. Jesus what an awesome app. I didn't realize you could get the full albums. Only thing that sucks is i have a low data plan, and it seems to eat data up pretty quickly. Other than that i could actually see paying for the service once i figure out if i can get more data.
If you have the paid service, you can download playlists to your phone. I do that a fair amount before flying ... if you do that while connected to wifi, you can cut down how much data you use.
Old 01-29-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Yea i saw that, problem is my iphone is only 16 gigs. I actually have a 64 gig ipod touch i just maxed out, so i had to purchase the 120 gig ipod classic. I was really hoping when they announced the new touches they would have a 120 version, but i imagine the hard drive is just to big to do it. I hate the classic, but its the only thing that will hold all my music.
Old 01-29-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, space can be a problem, but still if there is an album or two you know you want to listen to in the car .. it is a decent option. If you have a tablet, you can always download onto that as well.