Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Deep Purple MK1

Old 09-23-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Purple MK1

I was wondering some opinions on the original deep purple with Rod Evans. I personally prefer this version of the band but I know probably 99% prefer the later. Maybe it's because I liked the first Captain Beyond album with Rod Evans a lot too and these albums have a 60s groove I like. Their big weakness though is some of the cover versions I guess. I see he has become missing in action and nobody knows what he's up to now?
Old 09-23-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Deep Purple MK1

I think it was a great album, but I prefer Machine Head and In Rock (my favorite).
Old 09-23-10, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the Burn line-up, personally.
Old 09-23-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

statcat, our taste in music is very similar. Especially when it comes to obscure hard rock bands from the 60's/70's.
Old 09-23-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

All three of the first line up albums are must haves. They have that late 60s/early 70s trippy sound that I really like. Their cover of Help is the only one I really don't like. The cds with bonus tracks have great liner notes. The first three albums were never, or barely, got a released in the U.S. release. Something to do with the small label they were on. The label went belly up and they would have been dead in the dirt, recording wise, if WB hadn't picked them up. As part of their WB contract they were required to replace Evans and go with the more heavy rock sound. The only way to really get the early albums in the vinyl days was the double LP PURPLE PASSIONS that WB put out later in the early 70s. I don't think this has ever been released on cd, no matter now.

Anybody reading this GET THE FIRST CAPTAIN BEYOND ALBUM. You can thank me later. The second, Sufficienty Breathless, is also great but not on the level of the first.
Old 09-23-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
All three of the first line up albums are must haves. They have that late 60s/early 70s trippy sound that I really like. Their cover of Help is the only one I really don't like. The cds with bonus tracks have great liner notes. The first three albums were never, or barely, got a released in the U.S. release. Something to do with the small label they were on. The label went belly up and they would have been dead in the dirt, recording wise, if WB hadn't picked them up. As part of their WB contract they were required to replace Evans and go with the more heavy rock sound. The only way to really get the early albums in the vinyl days was the double LP PURPLE PASSIONS that WB put out later in the early 70s. I don't think this has ever been released on cd, no matter now.

Anybody reading this GET THE FIRST CAPTAIN BEYOND ALBUM. You can thank me later. The second, Sufficienty Breathless, is also great but not on the level of the first.
I'm surprised others dig these albums because they barely get mentioned.

I love this song but it reminds of spinal tap's stonehenge or something which makes it even better

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZ_gyARD9Lw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZ_gyARD9Lw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

yes the first captain beyond album is excellent, I don't feel nearly the same about the second though but it's ok.

I got this cd recently too, didn't even know it existed until recently:

Old 09-23-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
statcat, our taste in music is very similar. Especially when it comes to obscure hard rock bands from the 60's/70's.
yeah I remember you said you were into the yardbirds, pretty things? I'm into those bands heavily- have everything they ever did to an obsessive level (well except a lot of the stuff beyond the 60s)
Old 09-23-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I prefer the Burn line-up, personally.
Burn deserves far more recognition than it gets. As good as the previous albums in my opinion. Couldn't believe it when Burn appeared in the ALMOST FAMOUS movie during the house party scene. Stormbringer is a definate step down but I still like it.
Old 09-23-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
I'm surprised others dig these albums because they barely get mentioned.
Well, I'm in my 50s and spent my teens in one person's or another's basement listening to this stuff, smoking dope and tripping on psychedelic black light posters.
Captain Beyond was one among many bands I discovered just because I thought the cover was cool. I had one of the first LP pressings with the lenticular cover. Later they went to just printing the image like the cd cover. When I switched to cd I couldn't believe it when I found this at Best Buy.
Old 09-25-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm in my 50s and spent my teens in one person's or another's basement listening to this stuff, smoking dope and tripping on psychedelic black light posters.
Captain Beyond was one among many bands I discovered just because I thought the cover was cool. I had one of the first LP pressings with the lenticular cover. Later they went to just printing the image like the cd cover. When I switched to cd I couldn't believe it when I found this at Best Buy.
I only started listening to captain beyond last year. They're amazingly underrated like so many other late 60s-early 70s bands.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2L8wheRPpM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2L8wheRPpM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-25-10, 10:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
I only started listening to captain beyond last year. They're amazingly underrated like so many other late 60s-early 70s bands.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2L8wheRPpM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2L8wheRPpM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks for this video clip. I love it! I love the guitar solo at 2:40. I really haven't heard this Deep Purple line up before although i'm a fan of the band. I like the Machine Head / Fireball line up. I think I do have one Rod Evans cd, the one with Hush, but that's mainly the only song that I have played on it. Thanks for the great thread topic i'm enjoying it and would love to see some more from this era of music.
Old 09-26-10, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stormbringer is a definate step down but I still like it.
I love the song Stormbringer but you're right the rest of the album is a step down from the rest of them.