Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Why didn't they do a outtakes CD for Born To Run's 20th anniversary package? They did have the DVD of the 1975 concert (which was released again as a CD), and it's weird that Jim Iovine insists that Springsteen had 9 songs (of which 8 were chosen as the record), but why have way more than that turned up?
There were a lot of songs from the 73-74 era, but I don't think they were part of the BTR sessions. The only true "outtake" from BTR (Linda, Let Me Be The One) had already appeared on Tracks by the time the anniversary boxset was released, as had most of the famous songs from the pre-BTR era (Thundercrack, Santa Ana)
Old 11-15-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

Just got my deluxe package in, here's my initial thoughts. I open the shipping box to find a rather cheap Darkness tour T-shirt with the tour dates on the back. Next I see the poster is just free floating in the box and got crimped. Then i see that the 3rd BD is just free floating in a plain white paper sleeve. Kinda disappointed so far.

Don't worry folks, this package is amazing. It's put together like a big spiral notebook. The quality is took notch, nothing feels cheep. You open it to find an essay from 1998 and a new letter both written by Bruce. Next starts the pages of Bruce's notebooks from the era. The detail is amazing, at one point the corner of a page had been ripped off, the book here has a full page that shows the rip and what would've been on the page after and before. You get lyric pages, multiple track orders, typed out pages stapled in, notes taped over the page. About every 20 pages you get a divider which contains the 1 disc each.

I'm really impressed so far, now i get to dive into it.
Old 11-16-10, 11:41 AM

Hey sauce07:

I appreciate your take on opening the box set for Darkness, and your comment on the T-Shirt. Of course as any Springsteen fan I am more interested in the CD's and DVD's. I can't wait to hear and watch everything. Some people may think I was silly in being concerned about the T-Shirt and poster, but I had already ordered the Deluxe set from Sony. And, from what I saw in the T-shirt design in the ad I just didn't feel that they did enough with it for the price they were asking for it. I cancelled that order and went with the Deluxe Set without the shirt and poster, but I was second guessing myself. So, after your comments, and thanks to you, I don't feel as bad as I did. Thanks alot, man!
Old 11-16-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My initial take on The Promise. I agree with a review I saw that said EVERY song on Darkness on the Edge of Town is better than ANY song on the Promise. But there's still some great stuff here. Biggest surprise is how weak the versions of Fire and Because the Night are compared to how awesome they became in concert.
Old 11-17-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Come on, what did everyone think of Springsteen's appearance on the Fallon show? I thought the Neil Young bit was hilarious, if just to see Bruce dressed up like it was 1975 again. I've never been a fan of Fallon before but this show could change my mind. He obviously appreciates the music and was able to ask more intelligent questions than Leno ever would.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhFh-JqQuMg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhFh-JqQuMg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-17-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

all sorts of awesomeness, that was great.
Old 11-17-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
My initial take on The Promise. I agree with a review I saw that said EVERY song on Darkness on the Edge of Town is better than ANY song on the Promise. But there's still some great stuff here. Biggest surprise is how weak the versions of Fire and Because the Night are compared to how awesome they became in concert.
One thing I got from watching the documentary was that a lot the songs that were not included on Darkness were never really finished, so they never really nailed the studio versions of those songs. Plus, I'm guessing that the Darkness outtakes that Bruce really, really liked were already on Tracks.

I was interested by how many of the songs on The Promise didn't remind me of Darkness on the Edge of Town, but sounded more like The River. We already know that a number of songs on The River were recorded for Darkness. Makes me wonder how much of The River was just picking up thoughts that were abandoned during the Darkness sessions.
Old 11-17-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have to give major for Bruce dressing as his 1975 self in the Fallon clip. That was the funniest thing I've ever seen him do.
Old 11-18-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this set actually limited? I've seen the DVD set at Costco for $80 but no sign of the blu-ray set.
Old 11-30-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Come on, what did everyone think of Springsteen's appearance on the Fallon show? I thought the Neil Young bit was hilarious, if just to see Bruce dressed up like it was 1975 again. I've never been a fan of Fallon before but this show could change my mind. He obviously appreciates the music and was able to ask more intelligent questions than Leno ever would.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhFh-JqQuMg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhFh-JqQuMg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. "

I will find this video, but i will now never watch an NBC show again, thanks to their buzzkill antics. This could have been a great way to get people to tune in, as i know i would have watched some eps of fallon to see if they were all this cool.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a new episode of Parenthood on tonight?
Old 11-30-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
"This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. "

I will find this video, but i will now never watch an NBC show again, thanks to their buzzkill antics. This could have been a great way to get people to tune in, as i know i would have watched some eps of fallon to see if they were all this cool.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a new episode of Parenthood on tonight?
Heaven forbid someone try and uphold their copyrights! Damm that NBC!

Oh wait, maybe they just want to drive traffic to, IDK, Jimmy's site?

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="384" height="283" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://widget.nbc.com/videos/nbcshort_at.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&clipID=1260532&showID=243&configXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbc.com%2Fservice%2Fvideowidget%2Fparams%2FdmlkZW9faWQ9MTI2MDUzMg%3D%3D%2 F&initXML=http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com%2Fvideo%2Fepisodes%2Finit.xml?videoId=1260532"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><embed src="http://widget.nbc.com/videos/nbcshort_at.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&clipID=1260532&showID=243&configXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbc.com%2Fservice%2Fvideowidget%2Fparams%2FdmlkZW9faWQ9MTI2MDUzMg%3D%3D%2 F&initXML=http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com%2Fvideo%2Fepisodes%2Finit.xml?videoId=1260532" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="384" height="283" allowFullScreen="true" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 11-30-10, 06:34 PM

Has anyone viewed the Blu-Rays yet? Worth the upgrade from what you'd expect from the DVDs (I'm assuming no one has actually seen both.)
Old 12-01-10, 11:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

NBC's showing that they are replaying this episode tonight (Wednesday, Dec 1st) for those who might have missed it. Pretty great overall. Good interview, two great performances at the end, plus the now classic hair whipping.
Old 12-01-10, 02:06 PM

^Thanks for the heads-up! I forgot to record it the first time!

@Ropes Pierre!! I love that cartoon, too, BTW!
I know it's off this topic, but to answer your last question, no, Parenthood isn't on tonight at all, LAO SUV and the new one in LA are on instead.
Old 12-15-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thrill Hill Productions presents: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Songs from The Promise. 30 minutes of video shot in December 2010 at The Carousel in Asbury Park, NJ

<object width="575" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://www.vevo.com/VideoPlayer/Embedded?videoId=USSM21002203&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961&playerType=embedded&env=0"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.vevo.com/VideoPlayer/Embedded?videoId=USSM21002203&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961&playerType=embedded&env=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="575" height="324" bgcolor="#000000"></embed></object>
Old 12-16-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Blu ray set finally went under 100 at Amazon...since that was my price point I jumped on it. Can't wait to get it...
Old 03-09-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are releasing The Promise documentary as a separate DVD/Blu-ray on May 3. There will be new material not found in the box set:

a live performance of five songs off The Promise CD

a Q&A session with fans.

After plunking down $100 on the BD box set, I feel a little annoyed that I have to put out more dough to buy the doc again just to see the new material.
Old 03-09-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aintnosin
They are releasing The Promise documentary as a separate DVD/Blu-ray on May 3. There will be new material not found in the box set:

a live performance of five songs off The Promise CD

a Q&A session with fans.

After plunking down $100 on the BD box set, I feel a little annoyed that I have to put out more dough to buy the doc again just to see the new material.
Which is exactly why I held off on buying the big set - as all I really wanted was the documentary, and the re-mastered Darkness disc, anyway. I'm quite sure the latter will get it's own re-release soon, as well.
Old 03-09-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

He did the same thing with the Tracks box set. Over $50 four disc set, then they release a 17 Tracks compilation that included three songs not in the mammoth box set, including....."The Promise".