Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-26-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going on my Christmas list, my favorite Springsteen album.

18" x 24" Custom Poster*

80 page spiral-bound reproduction of Bruce’s original notebooks documenting the recording sessions for the album, containing alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details and personal notes

Vintage T-Shirt*

CD 1 - Remastered version of the album "Darkness on the Edge of Town"

CD 2 & 3 - The Promise

DVD 1 - The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town

* Never before seen archival footage shot between 1976-1978, capturing home rehearsals and recording sessions that allow us to see Springsteen’s creative process at work

DVD 2 - Darkness on the Edge of Town: Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park & Thrill Hill Vault: 1976 – 1978

* An intimate and complete album performance of “Darkness on the Edge of Town” at Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, NJ shot in 2009
* Never before seen archival footage from the Thrill Hill Vault including complete song performances taken from private band rehearsals, studio sessions, and live concerts during the “Darkness” era

DVD 3 - Houston ’78 Bootleg: House Cut

* Previously unreleased complete concert performance from the historic Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour

*Not final poster / t-shirt art

http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruc...pages/5634215/
Old 08-26-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

I think I made a mess under my desk when I got that press release.
Old 08-26-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Bruce Springsteen-The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story 11-16-10

I just filled the cup, this is more than I expected. For $125, i'll go with the blu-ray.

More details

"The Promise" (Disc 1)
1. Racing In The Street ('78)
2. Gotta Get That Feeling
3. Outside Looking In
4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
5. One Way Street
6. Because The Night
7. Wrong Side Of The Street
8. The Brokenhearted
9. Rendezvous
10. Candy's Boy

"The Promise" (Disc 2)
1. Save My Love
2. Ain't Good Enough For You
3. Fire
4. Spanish Eyes
5. It's A Shame
6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
7. Talk To Me
8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
9. Breakaway
10. The Promise
11. City Of Night

Darkness on the Edge of Town
(Paramount Theater,
Asbury Park, NJ - 2009)
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Thrill Hill Vault (1976-1978)
1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ - '76)
2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ - '76)
3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ - '76)
4. Don't Look Back (NYC - '78)
5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC - '78)
6. The Promise (NYC - '78)
7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC - '78)
8. Badlands (Phoenix - '78)
9. The Promised Land (Phoenix - '78)
10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix - '78)
11. Born To Run (Phoenix - '78)
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix - '78)

Houston '78 Bootleg: House Cut
1. Badlands
2. Streets Of Fire
3. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5. Spirit In The Night
6. Independence Day
7. The Promised Land
8. Prove It All Night
9. Racing In The Street
10. Thunder Road
11. Jungleland
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. The Fever
15. Fire
16. Candy's Room
17. Because The Night
18. Point Blank
19. She's The One
20. Backstreets
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
25. You Can't Sit Down
26. Quarter To Three
Old 08-26-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruce Springsteen - "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'" Sneak Peek from Columbia Records on Vimeo.

Old 08-26-10, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

Time to take out that second mortgage.
Old 08-26-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, can't wait! Good to see Danny Federici in that clip.
Old 08-26-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Springsteen Announces Massive 'Darkness' Set'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' to include rare and unreleased songs, live cuts, concert performances, and documentary film

Print Share :  Twitter Mail Share By Andy Greene
Aug 26, 2010 11:28 AM EDT

After years of rumors, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have announced the details of their Darkness On The Edge of Town box set, which will be released on November 16. Numerous songs on the 3 CD/3 DVD package don't appear to have been heard anywhere, even on bootleg, including "Someday (We'll Be Together)," "The Brokenhearted," "Save My Love," "Ain't Good Enough For You," "It's A Shame," and "The Little Things (My Baby Does)." The set includes a remastered version of the album, two discs of rare and unreleased songs, a DVD of a 1978 Houston concert and another DVD of live cuts from 1976 through 1978 and a complete filmed performance of the album last year in Asbury Park.

Check out classic photographs of Bruce Springsteen through the years

Read the press release below:

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' on Nov 16. The Deluxe Package comprises over six hours of film and more than two hours of audio across 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. The media contents are packaged within an 80-page notebook containing facsimiles from Springsteen's original notebooks from the recording sessions, which include alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details, and personal notes in addition to a new essay by Springsteen and never-before-seen photographs.

Containing a wealth of previously unreleased material, 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' offers an unprecedented look into Springsteen's creative process during a defining moment in his career. 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' will additionally be released as a 3CD/3 Blu Ray disc set.

The set will be available as 'The Promise,' an edition which consists of only the unheard complete songs on two CDs or four LPs, along with lyrics and the new essay by Springsteen.

The previously unheard song "Save My Love" and an excerpt from the documentary will be streaming at http://www.BruceSpringsteen.net.

The Deluxe Package includes 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,' digitally remastered for the first time.

CD 1: REMASTERED 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night

"'Darkness' was my 'samurai' record," Springsteen writes, "stripped to the frame and ready to rumble...But the music that got left behind was substantial." For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 21 previously-unreleased songs from the 'Darkness' recording sessions, songs that, as Springsteen writes, "perhaps could have/should have been released after 'Born To Run' and before the collection of songs that 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' became."

Highlights include the extraordinary rock version of "Racing in the Street," the never-before-released original recordings of "Because the Night," "Fire," and "Rendezvous," the supreme pop opus "Someday (We'll Be Together)," the hilarious "Ain't Good Enough for You," the superb soul-based vocal performance on "The Brokenhearted," the utterly haunting "Breakaway," and the fully orchestrated masterpiece and title song "The Promise." All 21 songs have been mixed by Springsteen's long-time collaborator Bob Clearmountain. According to long-time manager/producer Jon Landau, "There isn't a weak card in this deck. 'The Promise' is simply a great listening experience."

CD 2: THE PROMISE (DISC 1)
1. Racing In The Street ('78)
2. Gotta Get That Feeling
3. Outside Looking In
4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
5. One Way Street
6. Because The Night
7. Wrong Side Of The Street
8. The Brokenhearted
9. Rendezvous
10. Candy's Boy

CD 3: THE PROMISE (DISC 2)
1. Save My Love
2. Ain't Good Enough For You
3. Fire
4. Spanish Eyes
5. It's A Shame
6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
7. Talk To Me
8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
9. Breakaway
10. The Promise
11. City Of Night

The Deluxe Package also features "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,'" a documentary directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The ninety-minute film combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978--including home rehearsals and studio sessions--with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record.

Advanced word on the documentary is so strong that it was invited to debut at the prestigious Toronto Film Festival on September 14 and will make its television debut on HBO on October 7.

DVD 1: "THE PROMISE: THE MAKING OF 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'"

In addition, the set features more than four hours of live concert film from the Thrill Hill Vault, including the bootleg house cut (the footage that appeared on-screen at the concert) from a 1978 Houston show, and a 2009 performance of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' in its entirety from Asbury Park. The special performance in Asbury Park was shot in HD without an audience and successfully recreates the stark atmosphere of the original album.

DVD 2: DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (PARAMOUNT THEATER, ASBURY PARK, NJ,2009)

1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)
1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)
2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)
3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)
4. Don't Look Back (NYC 78)
5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)
6. The Promise (NYC 78)
7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)
8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)
9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)
10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)
11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

DVD 3: HOUSTON '78 BOOTLEG: HOUSE CUT
1. Badlands
2. Streets Of Fire
3. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5. Spirit In The Night
6. Independence Day
7. The Promised Land
8. Prove It All Night
9. Racing In The Street
10. Thunder Road
11. Jungleland
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. The Fever
15. Fire
16. Candy's Room
17. Because The Night
18. Point Blank
19. She's The One
20. Backstreets
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
25. You Can't Sit Down
26. Quarter To Three
Print Share :  Twitter Mail Share
Old 08-26-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds cool but I don't know if I really want all the contents. I'd rather just get The Promise CD's and the remastered Darkness on the Edge of Town. The web site makes no mention of purchasing the remastered album separately though.
Old 08-26-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About time! Wish it had vinyl too though.
Old 08-26-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen View Post
About time! Wish it had vinyl too though.
"The Promise" is on vinyl

http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruc...pages/5634217/
Old 08-26-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gonna have to add that to my Christmas list, too. Easily my favorite Springsteen album, as well. (Although I'd settle for just the remastered CD and the Documentary)
Old 08-27-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Darkness Tour was amazing, I want all the video I can get from it.

Darkness Tour version of Prove it all Night
Old 08-27-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite album from one of my favorite artists. I am all over this thing.
Old 08-27-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointed no Adam Raised a Cain on the DVDs except for the 2009 show. Still a great, great set.
Old 08-27-10, 01:42 AM

To me, the song "Save My Love" that is currently streaming on the main site (near the bottom of the page here) sounds like the vocal was recorded now, or in 2009, as opposed to a 1978 vocal track. I've listened to it a couple of times (good track in any case) but it just doesn't sound like his voice from that time period.

I admit I could be wrong.

I know the Stones did this with the "Plundered My Soul" outtake from the Exile on Main Street re-release earlier this year.

I'm going to get this set regardless, because of all the content, but I really hope these unreleased songs don't all have re-recorded vocal tracks. I'm curious what others might think, and maybe I'm just hearing it wrong.
Old 08-27-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parker63 View Post
To me, the song "Save My Love" that is currently streaming on the main site (near the bottom of the page here) sounds like the vocal was recorded now, or in 2009, as opposed to a 1978 vocal track. I've listened to it a couple of times (good track in any case) but it just doesn't sound like his voice from that time period.

I admit I could be wrong.

I know the Stones did this with the "Plundered My Soul" outtake from the Exile on Main Street re-release earlier this year.

I'm going to get this set regardless, because of all the content, but I really hope these unreleased songs don't all have re-recorded vocal tracks. I'm curious what others might think, and maybe I'm just hearing it wrong.
You're not the only one. There is some debate going on over this at some Bruce forums.
Old 08-27-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dammit,I think I'm going to have to get that. Believe it or not, I've never owned a copy of DotEoT. This version will be hard to pass on (esp in Blu Ray). Hope Amazon can come up with a cheaper price.

I also hope they release the remastered Darkness CD to look like a "mini vinyl LP", like they did with the Born To Run re-release set.
Old 08-27-10, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hope Amazon can come up with a cheaper price.
They did...not by much though.

CD $16.99
LP $128.23
CD/DVD $95.99
CD/BR $111.99
Old 08-27-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
For $125, i'll go with the blu-ray.
Me too. Blu-ray = concert footage in lossless surround mix (I hope).

I am drooling already. Two full discs of live material plus 21 outtakes...never saw all that coming.
Old 09-01-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blu-ray pre-ordered. I'm on a frugality kick right now but I have to make an exception for this...
Old 09-01-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These prices are insane.
Old 09-01-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was talking to a friend about this release. He says also coming this fall: Band On The Run set($90). All the early Beatle solo albums that were on Apple being re-released, remastered. Entire Lennon catalog being re-released, remastered. Don't know about additional material. He's wondering where to het the money for all this stuff plus Springsteen.
Old 09-02-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Van Zandt has been wearing that rag for 40 years!
Old 09-03-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Man, Van Zandt has been wearing that rag for 40 years!
He's been going bald for those 40 years. I think I've seen exactly one picture of him without his head covered in all that time.
Old 09-03-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
He's been going bald for those 40 years. I think I've seen exactly one picture of him without his head covered in all that time.
How many would you like to see today?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.