DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ego out of control alert: Katy Perry on her new album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/578313-ego-out-control-alert-katy-perry-her-new-album.html)

Bob_Bobbson 08-24-10 10:22 PM

Re: Ego out of control alert: Katy Perry on her new album

I'm not much of a fan of Katy Perry. Her music is pretty well constructed pop, but I just don't like her voice.

As for the quote, I get the impression she wasn't completely serious.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10337585)
Doctor Who fans will appreciate this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfI-ZHZ2eRM

Karen Gillan... -other-

LiquidSky 08-25-10 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10335942)
Shades of Alice Cooper!!!

http://eil.com/Gallery/209975b.jpg

:lol: I remember when that came out. My older sister got the album, my mom freaked out and returned it to Woolworths!

fumanstan 08-25-10 03:06 PM

I don't see how saying she wants to be a pin up model or something reeks of ego.

sauce07 08-25-10 03:28 PM

wait...somebody in the entertainment industry has an inflated ego?

mind.blown.

Giantrobo 08-25-10 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred (Post 10337255)

I might be a metal-head, but I can still appreciate a good pop song when I hear one, and she's got a bunch. You can call me a fan.

Same here. I may like my Maiden and my Slayer hard and loud but god dammit, catchy is catchy. Perry and few other Pop chicks fill this bill.

Aphex Twin 08-25-10 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred (Post 10337255)
To be fair, she recorded her Christian album in 2001 at 17, then switched to doing mainstream music soon after. She bounced around the recording industry for several years, recording parts of two albums that were never released before her big breakthrough in 2008.

I might be a metal-head, but I can still appreciate a good pop song when I hear one, and she's got a bunch. You can call me a fan.

You can credit her producers and songwriters

mndtrp 08-25-10 06:41 PM

As I do for any other music. Albums are rarely done solely by the artist or band. There are generally other people facilitating the end result.

AnonomusBob15 08-25-10 07:38 PM

except Katy Perry probably doesn't have jack shit to do with the acutal music other than give it final approval (which SHE might not even have). Just like most of other POP stars, not most other artists or bands.

cungar 08-25-10 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin (Post 10339269)
You can credit her producers and songwriters

And if you look at the songwriting credits there's like 5 songwriters for each song. This is nothing but manufactured, rolled out, tested and marketed product. Singers like Katy Perry are nothing more than spokesmodels for a team of songwriters and producers.

Supermallet 08-26-10 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10339477)
And if you look at the songwriting credits there's like 5 songwriters for each song. This is nothing but manufactured, rolled out, tested and marketed product. Singers like Katy Perry are nothing more than spokesmodels for a team of songwriters and producers.

So was Thriller. So was Sinatra. There's nothing wrong with getting people who can write songs to...write songs for you.

But that being said, I don't think Katy Perry has very good writers.

Gunde 08-26-10 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10337831)
I'm not much of a fan of Katy Perry. Her music is pretty well constructed pop, but I just don't like her voice.-

I disagree completely. It's really, really horrible. There's absolutely no redeeming qualities. Every single song is like listening to someone stutter.

cungar 08-26-10 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10340371)
So was Thriller. So was Sinatra. There's nothing wrong with getting people who can write songs to...write songs for you.

But that being said, I don't think Katy Perry has very good writers.

Which is why I listen to rock bands and musicians and not pop artists.

Supermallet 08-26-10 12:25 PM

It used to be the norm for artists to have other songwriters write their material. Is Elvis less impressive for not writing his own songs?

The Beatles were the ones who popularized the idea of performing material you wrote yourself. Prior to that, most artists used professional songwriters. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Boba Fett 08-26-10 01:26 PM

If people want well constructed pop, try Lilly Allen.

Supermallet 08-26-10 01:31 PM

Strong agreement.

Bob_Bobbson 08-26-10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10340398)
I disagree completely. It's really, really horrible. There's absolutely no redeeming qualities. Every single song is like listening to someone stutter.

You know what?

In attempt to respond to you, I started counting the Katy Perry songs I liked vs. the ones I didn't like.

Like - 2
Don't Like - 5

So...I reverse my decision. The couple songs I like are well constructed. It must have been she used a specific producer out of her 5-6 on that song, and he's the one talented one in the group. :p

nando820 08-26-10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10340645)
If people want well constructed pop, try Lilly Allen.

:thumbsup:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WUD-nhsmkw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WUD-nhsmkw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

RagingBull80 08-27-10 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10340510)
It used to be the norm for artists to have other songwriters write their material. Is Elvis less impressive for not writing his own songs?

The Beatles were the ones who popularized the idea of performing material you wrote yourself. Prior to that, most artists used professional songwriters. And there's nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with it but it definitely makes the artist less impressive when all they're doing is just providing the voice. To me, someone who writes, arranges and performs their own music is someone much more special and someone worthy of much more respect (I'm looking at you Annie Clark).

In my mind, yes, Elvis is less impressive for not writing his own material. That's not to say that he's not important or that I'm not a fan because he is and I am. Elvis isn't really the best example anyway because he actually had musical talent and he was good at arranging and such which is worth something. These pop singers we're discussing don't have a third of a third of the talent that Elvis had.

RagingBull80 08-27-10 11:55 AM

There's a difference between good disposable pop that's listenable and the shit that gets churned out these days. The 80s for example had a lot of very listenable throwaway stuff. Even the early 90s had some decent stuff. Today it's just awful.

I appreciate many different levels of music, some of them not as high as others.

The food analogy was good. :up: Sometimes I just want a shitty cheeseburger too.

Supermallet 08-27-10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 10341694)
I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with it but it definitely makes the artist less impressive when all they're doing is just providing the voice. To me, someone who writes, arranges and performs their own music is someone much more special and someone worthy of much more respect (I'm looking at you Annie Clark).

In my mind, yes, Elvis is less impressive for not writing his own material. That's not to say that he's not important or that I'm not a fan because he is and I am. Elvis isn't really the best example anyway because he actually had musical talent and he was good at arranging and such which is worth something. These pop singers we're discussing don't have a third of a third of the talent that Elvis had.

Aside from Lemmy's points, which are good, I'd say a great interpreter is as much of an artist as someone who writes their own material. Marianne Faithfull's recordings of Weimar-era songs are absolutely amazing, to use an example. Or Frank Sinatra's entire career, pretty much.

I'm not suggesting Katy Perry is on the level of any of these people. Just that there's no reason to look down on artists who don't write their own material.

RagingBull80 08-27-10 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10342533)
Aside from Lemmy's points, which are good, I'd say a great interpreter is as much of an artist as someone who writes their own material. Marianne Faithfull's recordings of Weimar-era songs are absolutely amazing, to use an example. Or Frank Sinatra's entire career, pretty much.

I'm not suggesting Katy Perry is on the level of any of these people. Just that there's no reason to look down on artists who don't write their own material.

I absolutely agree with the interpreter part; that's where I was driving at with my Elvis post.

I never meant to imply that someone who doesn't write their own material should be looked down upon, I just meant it wasn't as admirable as someone who did everything. What it all boils down to is talent. There are people out there that do write and perform their own material and suck at it.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-11-11 07:57 AM

Her ego can't be out of control if she dresses up like an alien and duets with Kanye West in her latest video E.T.?

I admit it I saw her E! special and they showed how Katy struggled for many years for people to hear her music and record companies to sign her &when she hooked up with Glen Ballard (Alanis producer) her career started to take off.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t5Sd5c4o9UM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Bus 04-11-11 10:15 AM

Her semi-latest single has been stuck in my head for the past week.

story 04-11-11 11:13 AM

I'm trying to think of how the song and video can be any more outright self-degrading to women and empowering to men who would take advantage of women without making that actually one of the lyrics.

sauce07 04-11-11 11:51 AM

I'm still waiting for Last Friday Night(T.G.I.F.) to be released as a single, have a feeling that will be a huge hit this summer. A few months ago I was having a little party and and my buddies girlfriend was talking shit about Katy Perry. I popped on that song, she started making fun of it, then out of nowhere the sax solo started and she started dancing and having fun. We all started cracking up because in the course of 2 minutes she went from hating it to getting down. That song is going to #1.