Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs you liked but not anymore after reading lyrics

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Songs you liked but not anymore after reading lyrics

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Songs you liked but not anymore after reading lyrics

I had the opposite reaction with Rage Against the Machine. I liked them a little bit and then when I found out what they were bitching about, I totally digged them.
Old 08-19-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

I just took all my Snow albums, put them in a box, set it afire, and threw it from the window of my highrise.
And here I thought I was the only one who owned every single Snow album!
Old 08-21-10, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I had the opposite reaction with Rage Against the Machine. I liked them a little bit and then when I found out what they were bitching about, I totally digged them.
Thats because a majority of their music is politically influenced and their lyrics do make sense. I love RATM but this thread is about shit that doesn't make sense and should be lit ablaze - like Ke$ha...
Old 08-21-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
And here I thought I was the only one who owned every single Snow album!
You are now.
Old 08-21-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
The theme to Star Trek. Roddenberry wrote the most obnoxious lyrics to cash in on royalties. Poor Alexander Courage. Whenever I hear it I think of him and how ticked I'd be if it happened to me.
Here's the theme with Roddenberry's lyrics rolling up the screen (karaoke style, I guess?)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLIm4UJGZjY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLIm4UJGZjY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And here's the Snopes.com write-up on the whole thing.

(Funny that Roddenberry said he did it because he otherwise didn't think he was going to make any money on Star Trek )
Old 08-23-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've long had a bit of hearing loss that makes it hard for me to understand lyrics to a lot of songs. There's probably tons of songs out there that I love to listen, but if I were to read the lyrics I'd find something to disagree with. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Originally Posted by dhmac
Here's the theme with Roddenberry's lyrics rolling up the screen (karaoke style, I guess?)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLIm4UJGZjY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLIm4UJGZjY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And here's the Snopes.com write-up on the whole thing.

(Funny that Roddenberry said he did it because he otherwise didn't think he was going to make any money on Star Trek )
I've known about the lyrics for years, it may seem kinda crappy of Roddenberry to do, well, in fact, it was. But his comment about making money off the show has some merit. Most science fiction TV at the time was usually anthology stuff, nothing with a recurring cast and setting. The show was a crapshoot, and remember it took being in syndication for a few years for it to really take off.

Still was kinda crappy to do to Courage though.
Old 08-24-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starman9000
I sure hope a homeless person doesn't happen across 7 Inches of Snow and get sucked into his lyrical wizardry.
Um, that's 12 Inches of Snow, not 7.

There's probably a song or two I feel this way about, but usually it just makes me realize how ridiculous lyrics are most of the time.

When a rapper "rhymes" a word with the same word.

The verses to "You Were Meant For Me" by Jewel are pretty dumb.

and the chorus to Everyday People, "So and so on, scooby dooby dooby"
Old 08-24-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by JP5683

The verses to "You Were Meant For Me" by Jewel are pretty dumb.

"
I don't think they were ever meant to be profound, more of a "slice of life" thing, but her life without the other person.
Old 08-24-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like some of Robin Thicke's songs (gf loves him), but a lot of his lyrics are pretty banal.