Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Concert Ticket Prices.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Concert Ticket Prices.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Concert Ticket Prices.

Here we go...
Old 08-11-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadFapper
Interesting how nearly every poster in this thread is bitching and moaning and crying and whining about how outrageously high and unfair ticket prices are these days. Thing is, if it wasn't for the fact that 98% of music that is downloaded is done so illegally with no payment going to the artist, ticket prices wouldn't be so high, because artists these days need to get that vast majority of their income from concerts not album and singles sales, thanks to illegal downloaders.
Phish charges $50 per ticket, front row to the lawn. They encourage people to record the shows and distribute them for free. They make a ton of money.

You can make a healty profit without charging $200 per ticket
Old 08-11-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadFapper
Interesting how nearly every poster in this thread is bitching and moaning and crying and whining about how outrageously high and unfair ticket prices are these days. Thing is, if it wasn't for the fact that 98% of music that is downloaded is done so illegally with no payment going to the artist, ticket prices wouldn't be so high, because artists these days need to get that vast majority of their income from concerts not album and singles sales, thanks to illegal downloaders.
I don't know about that. I remember in the 90s some ticket prices were huge as well and that was before.
Old 08-11-10, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
100 bucks to watch a video screen?? wow

as for ticket puchaces.. the most i've ever shelled out was around $70 to see Metallica..

but now.. if it's over 40$ before fees they can lick my ass! I don't even like to pay over $20.. so i really don't go that often anymore.
Gorillaz actually perform live instead of behind a screen now and have a pretty sick band, their performance at Glastonbury was pretty amazing. I dunno about $100 worth though. I usually spend less than $40, but most of my shows are less than $25 or so.
Old 08-11-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed that concert prices have gone nutty, but I saw Devo last week for $30, which seemed like a steal to me.

Entertaining show...
Old 08-11-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Ticket prices for concerts were increased dramatically long before MP3s were popular. That's an excuse.

But as already stated, if you find the prices too high - stop buying tickets. Supply and demand is pretty simple... you stop going, they'll drop their prices.
Old 08-11-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I ended up getting the ticket for Roger Waters. Total came to $285.12 . They really get you with taxes, service fees, shipping etc etc.

I figured this was one of the rare times going to a concert and since The Wall is one of my favorite albums, and having two Pink Floyd members playing together, It was something i could not pass up.
Old 08-11-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I ended up getting the ticket for Roger Waters. Total came to $285.12 . They really get you with taxes, service fees, shipping etc etc.

I figured this was one of the rare times going to a concert and since The Wall is one of my favorite albums, and having two Pink Floyd members playing together, It was something i could not pass up.
Not sure what two members you're referring to. Gilmour is only going to join Waters for 1 of the 94 shows.
Old 08-11-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Not sure what two members you're referring to. Gilmour is only going to join Waters for 1 of the 94 shows.
Damn i thought it was the whole tour. Why is he only doing 1 show?
Old 08-11-10, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop buying tickets to dinosaur rock acts and then maybe you'll see shows prices stop being so high. Local shows and indie bands are always 15 bucks or less and that's fine by me.
Old 08-11-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The very first concert I ever went to was Robert Plant in 1983 and that ticket was $25.

The last concert I went to, which I bought a ticket for was Loretta Lynn and Buck Owens in San Francisco in 2001 for $50.

Unless I can be right there in the front row of a show, I refuse to pay these high ticket prices.

I miss the old days of buying general admission tickets and getting to the place of the show early in the day and standing at the gates to be let in and run to the front rows to get a good seat.
Old 08-11-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Damn i thought it was the whole tour. Why is he only doing 1 show?
It was a deal that Gilmour struck with Waters - if Roger played a benefit that Gilmour was organizing, David agreed he would join Roger for one song ('Comfortably Numb') on one show of the tour.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/181370
Old 08-11-10, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Agreed that concert prices have gone nutty, but I saw Devo last week for $30, which seemed like a steal to me.

Entertaining show...
Side note: I saw them at the Ohio State fair last week. I agree, they still are still entertaining.

$78.50 for 2 tix (and that included fair admission and parking).
Old 08-11-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Side note: I saw them at the Ohio State fair last week. I agree, they still are still entertaining.

$78.50 for 2 tix (and that included fair admission and parking).
i didn't go, but i think devo were charging like 35 or maybe more when they were at the 9:30 club a few months ago.

Also noticed the highest price at the 9:30 club currently is Tears for Fears at 45 bucks a ticket
Old 08-12-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
The very first concert I ever went to was Robert Plant in 1983 and that ticket was $25.
Cripes! That was expensive for back then! I saw The Police at the Omni in Atlanta in 1983, and tickets were for $18.95. I saw Duran Duran at the same venue a year later for $13.50 each!

Good concerts rarely come to Charlotte, NC... so when the missus and I heard that Chelsea Handler was coming to town, we looked at tickets (the missus is a huge fan). The price for two tickets? Something like $177.50 for two near-nosebleed seats at the Time Warner Cable Arena! No, not a comedy club or small, intimate venue... a freakin' basketball and hockey arena! Ummm.. no thanks, Chelsea!