Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Concert Ticket Prices.

Old 08-09-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Concert Ticket Prices.

Looking at going to Roger Waters live. I haven't been to a concert in years (last one was Britney Spears) Looking at Ticketmaster site Main Floor seating goes for nearly $300! That sounds like way too much to me. Is this normal pricing or a gouging issue that the venues and or artist charges?
Old 08-09-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Concert Ticket Prices.

Higher than most acts, but most acts are high these days. As long as people pay high prices, they will charge high prices.
Old 08-09-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're suffering from the "Aging Classic Rocker Almost Too Old to Tour But Not Quite So You Better See Me Now Before It's Too Late" price bump. See McCartney, Aerosmith, etc...
Old 08-09-10, 10:29 PM

Sounds like an amazing show. I just paid $42 to see the Dogs Of September show in CT, open "seating" on the green (front row seating was well over $200). Recession? What recession?!
Old 08-10-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think VIP pricing for the first few rows makes more sense than mafia scalpers hacking into Ticketmaster and scooping up all of the coveted seats for $60 and reselling them for $1000+ each. At least then, the people who are willing to pay for the seats will have an easier time picking them up, and the scalpers won't have the profit margin or desire to collect all of them.

Supply and Demand will take care of the rest. For shows that aren't selling out, I've seen a lot of discount pricing directly from Ticketmaster or Live Nation (typically a Wednesday sale) where all tickets are 50% off, or $10 tickets, etc.
Old 08-10-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was just recently looking at ticket prices for some Black Crowes shows. The first few rows are $199 + fees, then the next few rows after that are $114 + fees. Too pricey for me. Luckily the next tier of pricing is around $40 + fees and do not look too be that bad seating wise.

I rarely go to concerts any more. I think the last show I went to was NIN 4-5 years ago.
Old 08-10-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up some tickets to see the Kiss Army, with Journey Unauthorized at $5 each this coming Saturday.

http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/gstand/
Old 08-10-10, 10:03 AM

I just bought good tickets to see Roger Waters - normal price is listed at $125, but they're showing up at $75 now. Not sure if it's a mistake or a price drop, but I'm not complaining...
Old 08-10-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I got a ticket to Gorillaz at the Garden and I got hit with $25 in surcharges on a $75 ticket. I hate Ticketmaster so much, but there is no alternative.

Last edited by macnorton; 08-10-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You're suffering from the "Aging Classic Rocker Almost Too Old to Tour But Not Quite So You Better See Me Now Before It's Too Late" price bump. See McCartney, Aerosmith, etc...
Tell me about it!

As a teenager in the 70s I saw bands like Aerosmith, The Who and The Rolling Stones when the average ticket price for any concert was about $20.

In recent years I have spent $200 plus to see some of the surviving legends again (or for the last time).
Old 08-10-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I shelled out $60 for 400-level seats to see ROGER WATERS. I refuse to pay a penny more.
Old 08-10-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yep it's pretty funny considering in the late 60's ticket prices were like $2-$3 (look at any number of concert posters from back then- Fillmore etc.) In the late 70s I'd say maybe $10-$20. I only go to shows in clubs where the prices are like $10 but that's only the type of bands I'm interested in seeing anymore.
Old 08-10-10, 12:55 PM

I saw Paul McCartney a few weeks ago and it cost $250 a ticket. It was well worth it though, as he played for 3 hours and did almost 40 songs. Easily the best concert I've ever been to. There are artists a third of his age that don't play as long or as well as he did. I would gladly pay that much or more to see him again.
Old 08-10-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I got a ticket to Gorillaz at the Garden and I got hit with $25 in surcharges on a $75 ticket. I hate Ticketmaster so much, but there is no alternative.
Yep, my last few/upcoming shows.

Gorillaz $100/ticket
The Black Keys $43/ticket
The National $33/ticket
The Dead Weather $43/ticket

A lot of fees in there...
Old 08-10-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's whatever the market will bear. And right now the market is telling Ticketmaster where to cram it.
Old 08-10-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I feel sort of lucky to live the Bay Area where Tickets.com and Live Nation also sell tickets to the shows I go to. Also there are a good handful of venues I go to in the Bay Area that sell tickets from their own Box Office, so you might pay maybe $1-2 dollars in surcharges if you buy from them.

Live Nation does a lot of specials where you don't pay surcharges.

I think with Ticketmaster my $49 Faith No More ticket ended up being almost $75 after charges.
Old 08-10-10, 02:55 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed with the above..

Slims/Independent/Great American are great. They have great acts, and decent pricing.
Old 08-10-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I've spent more than $50 on a ticket. Most of the time I just go to the smaller venues where tickets are in the $20-$30 range. Payed $43 for U2 next yr, and The National coming up in a few wks.
Old 08-10-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
yep it's pretty funny considering in the late 60's ticket prices were like $2-$3 (look at any number of concert posters from back then- Fillmore etc.) In the late 70s I'd say maybe $10-$20. I only go to shows in clubs where the prices are like $10 but that's only the type of bands I'm interested in seeing anymore.
Also the 70s had general admission seating. Every ticket was front row if you got there early. I still have a lot of my tickets

1974 Eric Clapton $5.00. General admission(aka front row)
1976 Paul McCartney and Wings $7.75 reserved seats
1977 Led Zeppelin 9.95 General admission(aka front row)

General admission was awesome. You had to get there couple hours early and get shoved around a bit when the doors opened but it was worth it. Once you got in you ran like hell to the stage. In smaller venues there wasn't any barrier in front of stage either. Clapton was outdoors at a race track, the stage about six feet high with no barrier. I couldn't have been more than 15 feet from him the whole show.

Last edited by rw2516; 08-10-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Tool two weeks ago and it was $97.25 for Orch after fees. That's just about my limit for any band.

I went to Rage Against the Machine that following Friday, and the tickets my buddy got were $270/ea. from a scalper. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for that one.
Old 08-10-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by auto View Post
Yep, my last few/upcoming shows.

Gorillaz $100/ticket
100 bucks to watch a video screen?? wow

as for ticket puchaces.. the most i've ever shelled out was around $70 to see Metallica..

but now.. if it's over 40$ before fees they can lick my ass! I don't even like to pay over $20.. so i really don't go that often anymore.
Old 08-10-10, 10:53 PM

Yea ticket prices have become insane over the past several years. The most I ever spent on a non festival ticket was $98 per ticket, flipping $23 in fees. I did pay roughly $150 to see Ozzfest one year, some kind of VIP thing with backstage pass. What can I say I really wanted to meet some of those bands, Sabbath included. A scalper got me for $125 a ticket to see Metallica once.

Agree that it's insane to pay $100 to watch a video screen. I saw the Gorillaz when Clint Eastwood came out and it cost like $25.
Old 08-10-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Don Homer View Post
I saw Paul McCartney a few weeks ago and it cost $250 a ticket. It was well worth it though, as he played for 3 hours and did almost 40 songs. Easily the best concert I've ever been to. There are artists a third of his age that don't play as long or as well as he did. I would gladly pay that much or more to see him again.
I saw him at Coachella last year. Paid $250 for the entire weekend and he played 3+ hours. Great stuff.
Old 08-11-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ebay and Craigslist are pretty much the only way I buy tix now. Haven't paid full price for a ticket in six years and I can choose better seats than by going through Ticketmaster.
Old 08-11-10, 01:40 PM
Banned

Interesting how nearly every poster in this thread is bitching and moaning and crying and whining about how outrageously high and unfair ticket prices are these days. Thing is, if it wasn't for the fact that 98% of music that is downloaded is done so illegally with no payment going to the artist, ticket prices wouldn't be so high, because artists these days need to get that vast majority of their income from concerts not album and singles sales, thanks to illegal downloaders.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.