Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Weezer: Hurley - Sept. 14th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Weezer: Hurley - Sept. 14th

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Weezer: Hurley - Sept. 14th

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Do they really need 2 nights in each city to perform the albums? I'd buy tickets to the Pinkerton show but wouldn't make the trip two nights in a row and would hate to miss the blue album performance. Both albums combined are less than 80 minutes, no?
I was thinking the same thing. Both albums combined are approx 75 minutes.
Old 08-21-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure they would do all of blue & hits, then a night of all pinkerton & hits. Sure they could just piggyback them, but then they don't make as much cash. Regardless, if this happens anywhere within driving distance of me, I'm there for both nights.
Old 08-21-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

They could cover both albums and all the "Hits" most of the fans of the first two albums care about in under 2 hours. Doing two nights is a money grab.

Pinkerton is the hotter ticket. I'd imagine you hear a good chunk of the Blue Album at all Weezer shows.
Old 08-28-10, 02:01 PM

Internet Weezer fans completely baffle me. Especially the hate for everything except their first two or three albums. I don't see this huge disparity of quality they seem to. I really have no idea what they are looking for in each new record. I love Weezer, but I also understand that this stuff is just catchy white-boy nerd rock. The "banal" lyrics require a sense of humor to get I guess. You guys understand that right?

Maybe someone can explain it to me 'cause I sure as hell don't get it.
Old 08-28-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me explain clearly. Their first two albums are MUCH better than everything that came afterward. Understand??
Old 08-29-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Internet Weezer fans completely baffle me. Especially the hate for everything except their first two or three albums. I don't see this huge disparity of quality they seem to. I really have no idea what they are looking for in each new record. I love Weezer, but I also understand that this stuff is just catchy white-boy nerd rock. The "banal" lyrics require a sense of humor to get I guess. You guys understand that right?

Maybe someone can explain it to me 'cause I sure as hell don't get it.
I was just thinking about that. I know that the "Internet People" (isn't that everybody by this point?) praise Pinkerton and pan albums that came afterward because none were a return to that format.

To me, it just seems that Rivers could at least make his lyrics a little less corny. Weezer songs are not "novelty" songs, therefore we don't need "a sense of humor" in his songs. You listen to a song like "My Best Friend," and it's so corny that it's embarrassing to play.

I know that Pinkerton was a VERY personal album for Rivers, and I don't think he ever wants to wear his heart on his sleeve like that ever again, and maybe I don't blame him. But the music can be a return for the better. In 1996, the music was deemed "too rough" and "unpolished." By 2000, it was esteemed, and even Rolling Stone Magazine wrote a retraction on the album, for the better.
Old 08-29-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I was just thinking about that. I know that the "Internet People" (isn't that everybody by this point?) praise Pinkerton and pan albums that came afterward because none were a return to that format.
Don't Rivers read reviews on his albums on, say, Amazon? If he did, he'd realize the "internet people" love Pinkerton more than any other album. Shouldn't Rivers, then, on reading such things, say "hey, my fans want another Pinkerton! I will do it for them!!"
Old 08-29-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^If you are in a band and making music for someone else (and not yourself), you become Nickelback. If Rivers ever WANTS to make a record like Pinkerton again, I'm all for it. I certainly don't think Weezer should be FORCED into doing it just because internet fans prefer that style.
Old 08-29-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it should be for both reasons: for the musician, and for the fans. I mean, if someone is doing music just for themselves, and nobody buys their albums and the musician is forced to get an office job in order to survive, then what's the point?

A musician can alternate, like Springsteen used to do. He made "The River," which was a commercial album, then he made "Nebraska," which was a personal album. Then, "Born in the U.S.A.".....

Weezer or anybody else can do that, too.
Old 08-29-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

This internet person holds Green right up there with Blue and Pinkerton. Add a third date to each city!
Old 08-29-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't take anything away from Green because it's a good, solid album full of summery tunes. But the one after? Meh.
Old 08-29-10, 04:17 PM

For me, there are two tiers of Weezer albums. "Ok" and "really good". The distinction is purely in the ratio of catchy tunes per album. Blue, Pinkerton, Green, Red, and Raditute are all really good while Maldroit and Make Believe are merely OK.

I don't think Weezer have ever put out a bad album. I lot of people seem to find the lyrics "banal" or "embarrasing" but I think most of the time they are pretty good, often clever, and sometimes hilarious.

180 proof vitamin water
energy flavor
take us to your daughter

How can you not love that?
Old 08-29-10, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember when The Blue Album came out. I was mesmerized. Every track was a gem, and I stayed up many a night listening to it. Pinkerton was a tougher nut to crack, but the album rewarded the repeated listens.

Then came the Green album. I felt like Weezer hadn't just taken a step backwards, but had actually stepped off a cliff. What the fuck was that shit? I checked out Maladroit and Make Believe and haven't bothered since then. I don't know if the band blew their wad on the first two albums or if they just don't care, but I haven't enjoyed them since Pinkerton, and that's just my genuine response to the music they release. It's like Rivers has become deathly afraid of saying anything that might mean anything to anyone, or even worse, is trying as hard as he can to say nothing at all. Silly songs about nothing worked for T. Rex, but Rivers isn't Marc Bolan and it doesn't work.

That being said, I'd be there with bells on for a Pinkerton + Hits show. And also kudos to them for making me laugh with their new album title and cover, because I know it's the only thing about it I will enjoy.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-29-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-30-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

To me The Blue Album and Pinkerton are great fun to listen to there's no doubt about it. They are just classics and always will be great fun to listen to and look back on.

The Green Album I felt was pretty good as well. A different album from Pinkerton and more of a return to style of The Blue Album except with less personal lyrics maybe but still not a bad album at all.

Maladroit is probably the album I've listened to the least from them but its not a bad album necessarily. I really need to get more familiar with it to make a better opinion though.

Make Believe I feel is by far the weakest effort that they've put out. A few good songs but overall I was pretty let down by it like most.

The Red Album I feel was a strong comeback. Maybe not the classic of The Blue Album or Pinkerton but still a good album in its own right. This one gets a lot of play from me still and I really enjoy The Greatest Man That Ever Lived.

Raditude to me while it gets hated on a lot for whatever reason is just a fun album. Its not trying to take itself overly serious and reminds me of a party type album from the 80s or something.

So overall I guess I've liked basically everything that Weezer has done over the years. Yeah some of their stuff isn't the best but for the most part its fun music to listen to. I know there will always be people who disagree and cling on to the first two albums and refuse any further output from the band, but personally I'm looking forward to Hurley and the future.
Old 08-31-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nesbit
They could cover both albums and all the "Hits" most of the fans of the first two albums care about in under 2 hours. Doing two nights is a money grab.

Pinkerton is the hotter ticket. I'd imagine you hear a good chunk of the Blue Album at all Weezer shows.
That is double the length of a typical Weezer set.
Old 08-31-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Wow. Hope they charge half price for their shows then especially with the bullshit that I hear goes on at their shows. Didn't they spend at least a portion of the Red tour changing up which instruments the band members were playing? C'mon. Do that bullshit in the studio or at a free concert in the park. I'm not looking to hear the replacement bassist sing Beverly Hills. Weezer is very lucky to have the fans they do. I'll always love the first two albums but the band can really go fuck themselves.
Old 08-31-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They only do an hour? I hope to hell they don't charge more than $20*.

*This is coming from someone who does not like Weezer. I just feel bad for their fans.
Old 08-31-10, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously? What the fuck? Do they just play The Blue Album, a few singles, and go home? Why is it that tons of older bands play for hours and hours (I think Lou Reed played for three hours when I saw him, and Rush for over 2), but a band that should be in their prime plays for an hour?
Old 08-31-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They typically cram about 19-20 songs into about an hour long set. I saw them 8 years ago and it was a $25 face value ticket.
Old 08-31-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw them in 2002 and they played around 22 songs, and it was not a long concert at all. A little over an hour probably.

that said, Maladroit gets a lot of shit, but there are a few tracks on there which I consider to be some of Weezer's strongest, like Death and Destruction, Take Control, and Slob. They just don't sit well next to some of the others though....
Old 09-01-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weezer has short songs (hell, half their records clock in at 30 minutes) and even though they typically play for 75-90 minutes, you never leave feeling short changed. Their live show has evolved over the years and is now just a great energetic party. Seriously, I've seen some bands do 2 hour sets and you wish they had trimmed the set or didn't do an extended jam on half the songs to drag out the time - so I'll take 20 great songs packed into a shorter amount of time...
Old 09-02-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
When did Weezer turn into The Killers?

Anyway, i actually don't mind the song.
I like this song too.
Old 09-02-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Weezer has short songs (hell, half their records clock in at 30 minutes) and even though they typically play for 75-90 minutes, you never leave feeling short changed. Their live show has evolved over the years and is now just a great energetic party. Seriously, I've seen some bands do 2 hour sets and you wish they had trimmed the set or didn't do an extended jam on half the songs to drag out the time - so I'll take 20 great songs packed into a shorter amount of time...
First off, I have never heard of a 90 min. Weezer show Second, they were really good and I would see them again in a heartbeat if the price wasn't outrageous (
Old 09-02-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Hey, look kids! An actual good song from the new Weezer album (albeit only on the "deluxe" version):

Old 09-02-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is Weezer's Hurley just a ruse to sell some clothes?

By Sean O'Neal September 2, 2010

When Weezer first announced that it would name its next album Hurley, then provided its own punchline by unveiling its Jorge Garcia-laden cover, reaction ranged from general bemusement to the usual scoffing at a once-likably-dorky band that had become consumed by its own shtick. But over the last couple of weeks, those emotions have been slowly replaced by white-hot Internet rage after guitarist Brian Bell seemingly admitted that the Lost connection was made after-the-fact, and that the real reason the album was titled Hurley was because its production had been funded by the Hurley clothing company.

As you might expect, this revelation caused all sorts of problems: Even for a group who name-checks Best Buy in its singles, admitting that your album was funded by and named in honor of a corporate interest will almost always cause critics to call your integrity into question, even if you’re doing it in a “post-modernistic” way, as Bell awkwardly suggests. Naturally, someone at Weezer HQ asked Bell to “clear something up” by issuing this retraction:

“Recently I did an interview in Denver where I was asked why we called the album Hurley. I mistakenly said that Hurley funded the album. I later found out that it wasn’t true at all. Weezer paid for every penny of this recording. The reason the record is called “Hurley” is because Hurley (Jorge Garcia) is on the cover. We thought about leaving the record untitled for the fourth time, but that causes a lot of problems and he knew people would end up calling the record “Hurley” anyway. We got no money for calling the record “Hurley.” thanks folks, Brian”

So that should assuage any doubts, right? Except then there’s this “Hurley Rocks You Back To School” line of Weezer-branded clothes co-created with the band, which kinda lends credence to the idea that the album is just the most visible aspect of a multifaceted marketing campaign, a grimly necessary widget in a larger overall synergistic strategy. But hey, that would be a cynical point of view. Certainly Ryan Hurley, VP of Men’s Design for Hurley, can explain the inspiration for the campaign in such a way that doesn’t make it sound like the whole endeavor is more artless artifice cobbled together solely to move some product?

"Certain words come to mind when I think of Weezer ... youth, innovative, creative, inclusive, classic, and fresh. These are the very principles that the Hurley brand was founded on. Weezer's core values parallel Hurley's bloodlines and brand truths. It seemed like a no brainer to join minds, and embrace these values together. Designing this collection with the design team came naturally. We love the band, their vibe, and their fans. Aren't we all Weezer fans?"

Indeed, aren’t we all Weezer fans? And isn’t the best way to show that we’re fans to really embrace their “core values” by buying as much of Hurley’s “brand truths” as possible? It seems like a no-brainer.

Oh, we kid Ryan Hurley, VP of Men’s Design for Hurley, only because he talks in marketing buzz words and thus sounds like kind of a dick. But just in case you’re still not convinced that Weezer hasn’t “sold out,” the band addressed those concerns in a recent video interview, once more insisting that the album is named for the Lost character and not for the company that gave them money and merchandise. The mutually beneficial promotion is thus merely happy serendipity, especially now that everybody found out.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/is-we...clothes,44813/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.