Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Led Zeppelin, Album by Album: Led Zeppelin III

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-17-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Led Zeppelin III: Released October 1970

Personnel:
Robert Plant vocals, harmonica
Jimmy Page acoustic, electric, and pedal steel guitar, backing vocals, banjo
John Paul Jones bass guitar, organ, synthesizer, mandolin, backing vocals
John Bonham drums, percussion, backing vocals

Track listing:
Immigrant Song (Page, Plant)
Friends (Page, Plant)
Celebration Day (Jones, Page, Plant)
Since I've Been Loving You (Jones, Page, Plant)
Out on the Tiles (Bonham, Page, Plant)

Gallows Pole (Trad, arr. by Page, Plant)
Tangerine (Page)
That's the Way (Page, Plant)
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (Jones, Page, Plant)
Hats Off to (Roy) Harper (Trad.)

"Do what thou wilt. So mote it be."
Old 06-17-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Led Zeppelin, Album by Album: Led Zeppelin III

Actually my favorite. Immigrant, Since, Bron, etc. and the dark horse Tangerine. I really like that song for some reason.
Old 06-17-10, 01:56 PM

This is my favorite Zeppelin album
I love Gallow's Pole and Out on the Tiles.
Old 06-17-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

I absolutely love Led Zeppelin III. Probably my favorite album, although it's back and forth between this and Houses of the Holy.

It's the perfect "light and shade" album. The heavy, hard rocking Side 1 contrasts beautifully with the acoustic Side 2. The album demonstrates a sense of confidence and musicianship that shows real growth. The Friends --> Celebration Day transition is one of the best in rock...

My only regret is that "Hey Hey What Can I Do" isn't included; as the "Immigrant Song" B-side, it should have been. For years, you could only get the song by taping it off the radio, as the aforementioned B-side on 45 vinyl, or on the 1990 boxed set.
Old 06-17-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually bought that Immagrant Song "single" on CD a few years ago, just to get "hey hey" as thats one of my faves too.
Old 06-17-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
and the dark horse Tangerine. I really like that song for some reason.
you might of heard this or not, but if you like tangerine this is the roots of the song

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPh1r32TCMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPh1r32TCMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-17-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and the album was awesome as it had that spinny wheel thingy.
Old 06-17-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

One of my favourite Zep albums, I love all the accoustic stuff. The only song I don't care for is the last track, especially it's very weird mix.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I actually bought that Immagrant Song "single" on CD a few years ago, just to get "hey hey" as thats one of my faves too.
"Hey Hey, What Can I do" is a great song. It was definitely good enough to be on the album, I'm not sure why it wasn't (and instead ended up as Zeppelin's only non-album B-side. I'm glad that they included it on the box set, so I finally had an alternative to my old scratchy "Immigrant Song" 7".

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The Friends --> Celebration Day transition is one of the best in rock...
I think it's great too, but the funny thing is that it was done because of necessity. One of the album's engineer's accidently erased the original beginning of "Celebration Day", so they came up with the drone at the end of "Friends" to segue right into "Celebration" to hide the missing beginning. Apparently when the engineer realized his mistake, he left the studio in literal fear for his life. That's the kind of reputation that Zeppelin and manager Peter Grant had.
Old 06-17-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This album is top-notch until 'Hats Off'....bizarre choice for an ending tune by the band, for certain.
Old 06-17-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The whole album is great. It's weird and all over the map like Houses of the Holy, but lacks a strong closer like that album.

In the track listing, I don't think Immigrant Song fits in well but I do like the "heavier" sound to a lot of the songs. The guitar is really deep.

In a ranking of their albums, III would probably be 4th from the top for me.
Old 06-18-10, 02:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

III is a mixed bag. I like that they took a step back from the heavy feel of II, and some of the tracks on here are brilliant. "Since I've Been Loving You" is a strong contender for the best song they ever recorded, and "Gallows Pole" is also excellent. However, "Immigrant Song" is the first time Plant's voice gets really annoying, and the closer is just off. Of all their albums, this is the one I cherry-pick through the most. But what great cherries.
Old 06-18-10, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falc04 View Post
This album is top-notch until 'Hats Off'....bizarre choice for an ending tune by the band, for certain.
I thought that too, for a while, but then I realized it's not that different from LZ II's closer "Bring It On Home", it just doesn't have the loud part!
Old 06-18-10, 08:28 AM

It always makes me laugh whenever I see some documentary about heavy metal music and some of the rockers complain about how acoustic and fairy-tale-like Zeppelin were especially on this record. Like they've been betrayed somehow.
After a while, it became my favorite Zeppelin album (Next to Physical Graffiti). I always loved "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", "Friends"/"Celebration", "Since I've Been Loving You", and "Gallows Pole"

Last edited by HUG-H; 06-18-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aside from listening to "Immigrant Song", this was one of the albums I used to ignore more when I was younger, but now it has some of my favorite tracks on it. "Since I've Been Loving You", "Tangerine", "That's the Way" - I definitely appreciate it now more than then.
Old 06-19-10, 07:47 AM

Not my favorite Zep album(Physical Graffiti), but it does have my favorite song(Tangerine).
Old 06-20-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
Aside from listening to "Immigrant Song", this was one of the albums I used to ignore more when I was younger, but now it has some of my favorite tracks on it. "Since I've Been Loving You", "Tangerine", "That's the Way" - I definitely appreciate it now more than then.
I pretty much was gonna type the exact same thing.
Old 06-24-10, 03:39 PM

I don't know if anyone's heard this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yEqaNiUY7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yEqaNiUY7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-24-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I pretty much was gonna type the exact same thing.
Pretty much my experience will LZ III too.