Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Most elaborate deluxe packaging?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to make a contest or explicitly seek THE most elaborate packaging, but what are some of the more lavish or outlandish deluxe releases you've seen? Most of what I've seen is going to be metal-related. I'm not sure if metal just has the propensity to lend itself to deluxe editions, but it's just the overwhelming majority of the music I've been paying attention to the last few years. Here's some examples:

Viva Hate's "Wooden Box Series" for Enslaved, Opeth and Agalloch

It contains 6 long time out of print and sold out albums with alternate layout. Plus we will drop in:
• A reissued demo tape version of the original demo: YGGDRASSILL
• An exclusive one sided record with rough instrumental recording of “Hal Valr”, never before released…(recorded in 1992!!!)
• An exclusive Enslaved belt buckle
• An exclusive Enslaved military cap with embroidered the logo on it
• A total amount of 8 records which have been sold out for AGES!!!
• All albums on thick 180g vinyl!!!

Rotting Christ - Aealo "CD + DVD Box"
Limited box set including album + bonus DVD in 4-panel digipack, belt buckle, leather bracelet, t-shirt and a car sticker!

Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archive Boxset
Strictly Limited Edition embossed metal casket containing: 2x double live CDs and 1x double B-sides CDs, unique Eddie crystal shot glass, individually numbered Iron Maiden Family Tree parchment scroll (as a certificate
for the box) rolled in a unique Eddie Pewter Ring.

Negură Bunget - Vîrstele Pămîntului "Earthbox"
Handmade woodbox (27 x 16 x 4 cm) with burn-in finishing, roped and filled with real Transilvanian's earth (to match the concept of the album titled "The Age of Land/Earth").
include: the deluxe 8 panels digipack-cd of the album, Exclusive 60x90 poster, 12x12 album sticker and Negura Bunget 2,5cm metal pin.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis "CD Collector Box"
Mailorder exclusive box set, limited to 2000 copies. Including a one- of-a-kind CD-sized combo disc (CD one side, vinyl the other side with) with the "Head Deaf Melted Grill" bonus track, picture book*, flag, beanie, TV-B-Gone (turn off any TV anywhere), luggage tag and buttons.

Gris - Il Était une Forêt... "Die Hard Gold Edition"
Limited to 111 copies, double LP with heavy 350g Gatefold jacket, printed 280g inner sleeves, heavy, etched 180g gold vinyl, 8-page art booklet, two different weatherproof logo stickers, T-shirt with 2-sided print featuring the album cover in classic black/white + silver logo & title
on front and a silver sigil print on back, embroidered logo patch in the shape of the logo, and a black cotton bag which bears the band logo printed in silver & gold and houses the Die Hard.

Drive-By Truckers - The Big To-Do "Deluxe Package"
52 page color book that includes all of the art and text from the album with extra goodies.
Wes Freed limited edition, signed and numbered giclée print featuring artwork from the album (print is the size of actual artwork and measures about 6in x 12in)
18 postcard set that includes art and photos from the album
180 gram, double gatefold vinyl
1 bonus track that is only available on vinyl
CD included (without artwork)
Digital download of entire 13 track album + bonus track

Murder by Death - Good Morning, Magpie "Fancy Edition"
1000 copies. Midnight blue 200 gram 12" record. Embossed gatefold cover and back. Bound 12 page uncoated color booklet with studio photos and complete lyrics. Comes with a 24"x 24" poster, a sticker and a big black feather. A W E S O M E

(that one wasn't so crazy but I included it because that's the band's own hilarious description for the product on their webstore)

Coil - Colour Sound Oblivion Box Set: "Pre-Order Edition"
(The features of this one are so long and detailed, I'll just provide some of the pictures and a link HERE

Old 06-06-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Most elaborate deluxe packaging?

aside from the paper sleeves I think this is pretty cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVmX0mA1ftg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVmX0mA1ftg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-06-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Iron Maiden set is really cool. I must have it.
Old 06-09-10, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the deluxe verison for Rammstein's newest album takes the prize
NSFW:
Old 06-09-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
NSFW:
That set only cost me $250. A real bargain.
Old 06-09-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
NSFW:

Besides the obvious, what does the set include to warrant the $200+ asking price?
Old 06-09-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

This might be the wrong place for this, but I've already had all the extras from the Rammstein set for years, so if anyone is selling just the box and the music, I'm interested in buying.
Old 06-09-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I take it those are scale likenesses of the member's members, who's 5th from the left? I didn't know Tommy Lee was in Rammstein.
Old 06-09-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

Besides the obvious, what does the set include to warrant the $200+ asking price?
Also comes with lube and handcuffs my gues is that its a really heavy/high quality box/suitcase thingy.