Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Manic Street Preachers US Tour!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Edit* - Dates posted in next post.

Awesome news for us American Manics fans who've waited 10 years since their last U.S dates. Their relative obscurity in North America works to our advantages since it looks like these shows will be much smaller than what they'd be playing in Europe or elsewhere.

Last edited by Poink; 07-28-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Manic Street Preachers US Tour!

Manic Street Preachers tour dates:

9/21 Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
9/22 Vancouver, BC - The Commodore Ballroom
9/24 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
9/25 Los Angeles, CA - The Avalon
9/28 Denver, CO - The Bluebird Theatre
9/30 Minneapolis, MN - The Varsity Theatre
10/1 Chicago, IL - The Metro
10/2 Detroit, MI - The Majestic Theatre
10/4 Toronto, ON - The Phoenix Concert Theatre
10/6 Philadelphia, PA - World Café Live
10/7 New York City, NY - Webster Hall
10/8 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
Old 07-28-09, 04:22 PM
Banned

OMG I can't wait. Only $15 for Detroit!
Old 07-28-09, 10:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Finally -- Woohoo
Old 07-29-09, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

looks like I'm headed up to Philly (or NYC)....

sucks DC didn't make the cut for the tour.

as far as I'm concerned their fucking tour promoter owes us Washington fans a show, since the last time they were supposed to play the 9:30 Club, they cancelled at the last minute the whole North American tour due to a family illness (as I recall)

Last edited by Giles; 07-30-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Holy shit - they're playing LA on my birthday - it's like it was MEANT to happen!
(not a big fan of the Avalon though)
Old 09-04-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bump... I missed the news until stumbling upon it just a few days ago. Going to see them at the Metro here in Chicago. My brother is a diehard fan and will be seeing them out in LA since he lives there.

Fanastic news to hear--hopefully there is some level of promotion of their stuff here in the future.
Old 09-04-09, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm going to Philly, and possibly NYC as well. Their new album which I imported is really good too. I'm a little upset I'm missing out on the bonus remixes that the US release preorders get.
Old 09-05-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
looks like I'm headed up to Philly (or NYC)....

sucks DC didn't make the cut for the tour.

as far as I'm concerned their fucking tour promoter owes us Washington fans a show, since the last time they were supposed to play the 9:30 Club, they cancelled at the last minute the whole North American tour due to a family illness (as I recall)
Yeah, I'm fucking pissed they keep ignoring a major city like D.C. I was thinking about taking the Amtrak up that night to Philly, seeing the show, and coming back the same night. Then, tickets for the Gossip went on sale for the 9:30 Club the following night, so I'm going to that instead. Just can't do both. If the MSP's had been in D.C. the night before or after, yes.
Old 09-08-09, 09:46 AM

even though I have tix for the Philly show, I'm not sure if I gonna actually make it (anyone here interested in buying my tix?) ... I'm still really miffed over the DC shaft - I posted an angry comment on the Manics website about it. "What? - we Washingtonian fans have to wait another 10 more years for the next US tour??'
Old 09-17-09, 11:47 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

If you haven't got it yet - I strongly recommend the Journal For Plague Lovers Remix Album

It's phenomenal...

Four Tet, Patrick Wolf, British Sea Power, The Horrors, Underworld, Saint Etienne and others. It's bloody brilliant.
Old 09-17-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
If you haven't got it yet - I strongly recommend the Journal For Plague Lovers Remix Album

It's phenomenal...

Four Tet, Patrick Wolf, British Sea Power, The Horrors, Underworld, Saint Etienne and others. It's bloody brilliant.
I'm sorry ??? please elaborate.
Old 09-17-09, 01:01 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I see you have located it

Seems like it came out way back in June..

JOURNAL FOR PLAGUE LOVERS REMIXES

Each track on Journal For Plague Lovers has been remixed and will be released as a download EP on 15th June. The band hand-picked a selection of studio hands to create an impressive cast of remixers, as follows:

Andrew Weatherall - Peeled Apples
Saint Etienne - Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
British Sea Power - Me And Stephen Hawking
Patrick Wolf - This Joke Sport Severed
Optimo (Espacio) - Journal For Plague Lovers
The Pariahs - She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach
Adem - Facing Page Top Left
New Young Pony Club - Marlon JD
The Horrors - Doors Closing Slowly
Errors - All Is Vanity
Four Tet - Pretension/Repulsion
Fuck Buttons - Virginia State Epileptic Colony
Underworld - William's Last Words
Jonathan Krisp - Bag Lady

Of the remixes, Nicky says "It's been a pretty overwhelming response to be honest. We chose people for each track hoping they would bring us back something unique, that they'd find something we maybe hadn't in the track. Without fail, they've done that. Heartfelt thanks from us to everyone involved".
Old 09-17-09, 01:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Or looks like it was just released as a full album

'JOURNAL FOR PLAGUE LOVERS' REMIX ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE

So, three months to the day later, the full Journal For Plague Lovers album is now available for download from iTunes for the very special price of Ł4.99, for all 14 superb remixes including the previously unreleased mixes from Underworld (their first in over a decade) Saint Etienne, Patrick Wolf and Four Tet.

iTunes are also offering the 'Complete My Album' Feature, meaning that if you have previously bought any of these remix tracks individually, you'll get a reduced album price.
Old 09-27-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw them Friday - fuckin' tops! 22 songs - almost a best-of set - they played at least a song or three from each album (though none from Lifeblood).

Oh, and I was about 10 feet away from this:

Old 09-27-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Saw them Friday - fuckin' tops! 22 songs - almost a best-of set - they played at least a song or three from each album (though none from Lifeblood).
The LA show, right? My brother was there--he recorded these:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jik2AA0xWdA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jik2AA0xWdA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qm2q6Dhj4Rw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qm2q6Dhj4Rw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iiy_lPySmvw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iiy_lPySmvw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfGKa_Tjpwg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfGKa_Tjpwg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'll be going on Thursday here in Chicago... can't bloody wait.
Old 09-27-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, LA. BTW, no encore.
Old 09-27-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

Oh, and I was about 10 feet away from this:

That's the best bootleg video from a concert I've ever seen. Now I'm REALLY upset I won't be able to see this show. Bummer they don't do anything from "Lifeblood". I guess they want to forget that album. Too bad. Some great songs on there too.
Old 09-28-09, 10:01 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Love the show in SF, and as reported no encore, seems like they don't do encores.
Damn Nicky Wire is a tall mother!
Old 10-02-09, 12:05 AM

Just got back. Pretty great show! Looks like their setlist is staying pretty consistent throughout all the dates; as mentioned, it's sort of like a "best of" set. Would've like to have heard them play"Yes" and "4st 7lbs," or basically more off The Holy Bible in general, but I can't really complain.

They seemed to be having a ball playing, which is obviously good. I'd always worried that they'd be kind of bitter about playing to a thousand people compared to what they can pull in in the UK, but that wasn't the case. James made a quip about "We have a new album out, but since this is America, 99.9%... no, NOBODY knows about it." Nicky mentioned that Chicago is their "most played" city in the U.S (4 times!).

All in all, they seem like fantastic guys, and getting hit with one hook after another for 90 minutes is well worth it.
Old 10-02-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it was a fantastic show, would have posted last night but I got soaked on the way back to my car, which was parked at Belmont Harbor just off of Lake Shore Dr.

Fantastic set, and great to see such a tight band at the top of their game playing in a small venue, although I certainly wish they had more fans here. Have to say I was disappointed at the turnout, which was decent but certainly not full. Wish XRT had promoted it or something like that. Went with a couple of friends who definitely wanted to listen to some more of their stuff. People just don't know what they're missing!

Also great to see Nicky and James outside doing autographs and pictures afterwards.
Old 10-02-09, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Poink
Just got back. Pretty great show! Looks like their setlist is staying pretty consistent throughout all the dates; as mentioned, it's sort of like a "best of" set. Would've like to have heard them play"Yes" and "4st 7lbs," or basically more off The Holy Bible in general, but I can't really complain.

They seemed to be having a ball playing, which is obviously good. I'd always worried that they'd be kind of bitter about playing to a thousand people compared to what they can pull in in the UK, but that wasn't the case. James made a quip about "We have a new album out, but since this is America, 99.9%... no, NOBODY knows about it." Nicky mentioned that Chicago is their "most played" city in the U.S (4 times!).

All in all, they seem like fantastic guys, and getting hit with one hook after another for 90 minutes is well worth it.
big fuckin' whoop , and yes I'm still peeved over them slaggin us Washington DC fans.
Old 10-02-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked that they slagged Coldplay not once, but twice.
Old 10-06-09, 05:20 PM

I'm obviousily not able to not make up to the Philly show tonight, does anyone know if any show of this tour is getting taped for a possible future home video release?
Old 10-07-09, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the Philly show, it was pretty great. I saw some people videotaping it, but I only saw 2 cameras. I've been at other shows that were professionally taped, and they had like 5-6 cameras. I hope it won't be another 10 years for another tour.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.