Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

As said in the 'Last In Line' thread, I'll be going to the show next week. Even just to hear the songs but to hear Vivian shred on the Dio songs. Haven't heard him do that live since '85 !!!!
Old 05-17-16, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Hard to believe it's been six years.

Tempus fugit.
Old 08-15-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Official Ronnie James Dio Hologram Wacken Performance

What's cool about this, other than the Dio hologram, is that the bad (Dio's Disciples) played live with the hologram. Something never done. Not sure what concert recording the vocals are from, haven't researched that but it's pretty dame cool. And according to the company that pulled this off says they are tweaking it more and want to do a 2017 tour with 'Dio' doing more songs.

What you think?

Old 08-16-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Not for me. I'd rather remember all the times I saw Dio live than go and see a hologram show. The Wacken one-off was enough. No need to wring every cent out of his memory that they can.
Old 08-17-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. An entire tour with a hologram I think is too much.
If I need to see Ronnie performing live, I'll watch concert footage on YT or home video. I rather remember those times and not an animated character. One-offs are cool, I'll admit that. But I'm not really sure I could go see an hour and a half show with a hologram.
Old 08-17-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One-off stunts can be cool. But they are just that, stunts. I wouldn't pay, or even take the time to watch (a whole show) of a hologram for free. That's what home video is for.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-18-16 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
One-off stunts can be cool. But they are just that, stunts. I wouldn't pay, or even take the time to watch a for a whole show of a hologram for free. That's what home video is for.
It won't be a whole show of a hologram. Just a handful of songs (maybe as few as two). The rest would be sung by the regular singers (they usually have two).

My issues is that the hologram doesn't move like Ronnie did. Ronnie had a bounce to his step that is completely missing from the hologram, and the hologram is too static - Ronnie may not have run around like Bruce Dickinson, but he moved around the whole stage and he didn't stay in one spot for very long.
Old 08-18-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But think they are trying to mimic his 'theatrics' with his movements, mainly his hands, like Ronnie did.
They did say they are still working on it though.
Old 07-10-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Happy Birthday to the man himself. He would have been 76 and still belting out those vocals.

Old 07-10-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had no idea that hologram isn't actually Ronnie but a guy in a mask made up to look like him. I just figured they scanned hundreds of images of RJD to create one 3-D character.

Also, if you look at "Dio" if you have any albums on your iPhone... well, let's just say Apple doesn't have the right photo to match. That, or the P.C. crowd has recast our metal hero.
Old 08-11-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I had no idea that hologram isn't actually Ronnie but a guy in a mask made up to look like him. I just figured they scanned hundreds of images of RJD to create one 3-D character.

Also, if you look at "Dio" if you have any albums on your iPhone... well, let's just say Apple doesn't have the right photo to match. That, or the P.C. crowd has recast our metal hero.
I thought the pics came from CDDB or some other woefully incomplete source.
Old 05-17-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Day late..... 9 years ago
I'm so glad I was able to see him as many times I did. Solo and with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell

Old 05-22-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next year will mark a full decade since he passed.

Unreal.
Old 05-22-19, 03:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm seeing his hologram perform next month, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it, but I'm treating it like catching a 3D movie or something, even though there is a live band of some original Dio members and guest vocalists (I think Ripper Owens) for non-hologram led songs.
Old 05-22-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The footage I've seen from the previous hologram tour was technically impressive, but, "Ronnie," didn't move like Ronnie. The real Ronnie had a bounce to his step, he almost skipped across the stage at times. The hologram Ronnie is much more lead footed and doesn't have Ronnie's mannerisms.

If they fixed that I'd be ALL IN for this show. I miss the hell out of Ronnie. It's been 12 years since I saw him live and I would kill to get a Delorean with a flux capacitor to be able to go back and catch some of those old tours. A hologram is the closest I'm going to get, but they have to get the mannerisms and movements right otherwise it just won't seem like Ronnie, even if it sounds and looks like him.