Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock groups and Rock stars(alphabetical order?)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rock groups and Rock stars(alphabetical order?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rock groups and Rock stars(alphabetical order?)

Originally Posted by rw2516
Alice Cooper began as a fictional band name and has been in the A section of every store I've ever been in.

When the band broke up in late '73 there was a nasty legal battle over the rights to the name "Alice Cooper". In order for Alice, aka Vincent Furnier(or something like that) to continue as Alice he legally changed his name to Alice Cooper. The other band members were bought out so they couldn't just replace him or start other bands called Alice Cooper.
Really, all most every store I've ever seen them in, they've been under C. As a fan, that's where I keep them, too.
Old 04-16-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I wondered about this with bands who include an individual's name "&" band name. So, I asked Black Joe Lewis, front man of Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, whether I should alphabetize their stuff under "B" or "L" (for Lewis). He responded with, "It doesn't matter, as long as you know where to find us." I love the music, but the dude does not seem to understand my organizational woes!
Old 04-16-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I wondered about this with bands who include an individual's name "&" band name. So, I asked Black Joe Lewis, front man of Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, whether I should alphabetize their stuff under "B" or "L" (for Lewis). He responded with, "It doesn't matter, as long as you know where to find us." I love the music, but the dude does not seem to understand my organizational woes!
Dude, let me suggest a whole new paradigm for you.

Autobiographical.
Old 04-16-10, 10:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 04-17-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Numbers should go under the first letter of how you spell that number. So if it's 2Pac, you should put it under "T" for "TwoPac" or "Tupac." If it's 3 Inches of Blood, it would be under "T" for "Three Inches of Blood."
I'm one of those that will sort based on the actual way the artist has it. Ten Years After would go under "T" but 10cc would go numerically (which comes before letters). I do the same for movies.

Speaking of 10cc... many years ago I was at a store looking for "Original Soundtrack" and could not find it. On a whim I decided to check the soundtrack section. Bingo!
Old 04-17-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Dude, let me suggest a whole new paradigm for you.

Autobiographical.
I confess my curiosity is piqued...but I know my wife would leave/kill me before she ever permitted that kind of organizational system. It took me entirely too long to find a good woman; I'm gonna be a hard sale for your organizational system!
Old 04-17-10, 02:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'm one of those that will sort based on the actual way the artist has it. Ten Years After would go under "T" but 10cc would go numerically (which comes before letters). I do the same for movies.

Speaking of 10cc... many years ago I was at a store looking for "Original Soundtrack" and could not find it. On a whim I decided to check the soundtrack section. Bingo!
The only movie series I do this for is Bond, that way I can place them all as 007 at the beginning of my collection. I know, none of them are actually titled 007, but I don't care.
Old 04-17-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just use the first letter, always (except for "The" _______). That's how it's listed on the computer anyway.

Although, that does mean that Billy Ray Cyrus is separated from Miley Cyrus...
Old 04-17-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I just use the first letter, always (except for "The" _______).
Okay, smart guy, where do you file this: