Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stone Temple Pilots: Self Titled -- May 25th, 2010

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Stone Temple Pilots: Self Titled -- May 25th, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Stone Temple Pilots: Self Titled -- May 25th, 2010

With the exception of Between The Lines, I'm not digging the new album. At all.
I like the Stone Temple Pilots that made Plush, Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing and my favorite song of all-time Interstate Love Song. The music they make now doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by Maxflier; 05-26-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-26-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, does anybody know if the entire Chicago show was recorded & filmed? I'd love to have a full-length live CD and/or DVD of this.
Old 05-26-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I've had Core, Purple & Tiny Music since they were released, though I haven't listened to them much over the last five years or so. They could've put the new one out under another name and I would've never guessed it was them. It just isn't distinctive at all to me and, so far, it's struck me as pretty mediocre.
Old 05-26-10, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
So, does anybody know if the entire Chicago show was recorded & filmed? I'd love to have a full-length live CD and/or DVD of this.
HD channel Palladia is showing a 1 hour version of the chicago concert multi times over the next month...

www.palladia.tv

I recorded it to a dvd last night - not that many commercials either - after editing out the commercials, my dvd was 49:50...

the vh1 broadcast last week was only 5 songs - the palladia one is more like 11 or 12
Old 05-27-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finally being able to give this a few proper spins, I've decided that the album it reminds me most of (so far) is Tiny Music... - as the first time I heard that album, I didn't think it sounded too much like anything I'd heard prior from STP. Then again, I ended up loving that album, so you never know. So far, though, I think this one needs to grow on me a little more.

I also think it misses that production touch of Brendan O'Brien, who really gave the past albums more sonic edge than this one has.

Lastly, very glad I got the Deluxe Edition, as one of my favorite songs on the album is the bonus track "Samba Nova". I opted for the Target version, as they had the best overall deal - cheapest price, bonus DVD, and jewel case packaging. I despise Digipacks/cardboard cases.
Old 05-27-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
After finally being able to give this a few proper spins, I've decided that the album it reminds me most of (so far) is Tiny Music... - as the first time I heard that album, I didn't think it sounded too much like anything I'd heard prior from STP. Then again, I ended up loving that album, so you never know. So far, though, I think this one needs to grow on me a little more.

I also think it misses that production touch of Brendan O'Brien, who really gave the past albums more sonic edge than this one has.

Lastly, very glad I got the Deluxe Edition, as one of my favorite songs on the album is the bonus track "Samba Nova". I opted for the Target version, as they had the best overall deal - cheapest price, bonus DVD, and jewel case packaging. I despise Digipacks/cardboard cases.
What is on the bonus DVD? I don't even see it mentioned in any of the listings for the Deluxe Edition at Amazon, BB or Target.

Thanks
Old 05-27-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
What is on the bonus DVD? I don't even see it mentioned in any of the listings for the Deluxe Edition at Amazon, BB or Target.

Thanks
Read post #49.
Old 05-27-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Thanks
Target is the only place you can get the bonus DVD version. The only other way (legally) to get the same content is through I-tunes. It's exclusive to those two retailers.
Old 06-01-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
With the exception of Between The Lines, I'm not digging the new album. At all.
I like the Stone Temple Pilots that made Plush, Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing and my favorite song of all-time Interstate Love Song. The music they make now doesn't do it for me.
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I've had Core, Purple & Tiny Music since they were released, though I haven't listened to them much over the last five years or so. They could've put the new one out under another name and I would've never guessed it was them. It just isn't distinctive at all to me and, so far, it's struck me as pretty mediocre.
Listening to it now, and I agree. It feels very weak. I had some MP3 credit from Amazon and I picked up Alice in Chains new album and this. Alice was great through and through. This is just blah. I wouldnt know it was STP if I just heard it on the radio.
Old 06-01-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

After 10 plays, I don't like the album, at all. There are maybe 2 songs I could see adding to an STP anthology, but it's a very weak record overall.
Old 06-01-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just started spinning this today and sadly I agree that it seems pretty weak so far. Still, it is better than Shangra so that in itself is a step in the right direction.
Old 06-01-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's pretty decent, there are at least 4-5 tracks that I'm really digging right now (Take A Load off, Hickory Dicotomy, Hazy Daze, First Kiss on Mars). It certainly doesn't live up to the hype after so many years of waiting, but with that baggage aside, I think it's a fine rock record.
Old 06-02-10, 10:45 PM

I was telling a friend my fav tracks were the first song (Between the Lines) and the last song...He said, "Maver"? Yeah really? And I said no, the last song "Samba Nova" -- I did not realize that "Samba Nova" was a bonus track.....It really is the second best song on this album...to add insult to ingury my friend goes on to tell me that "Samba Nova" was a demo left over from Shagri La De Dah....Samba Nova is a mellow chill track that deserves to be on an album, it's as good as a Depeche Mode B side
Old 06-03-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After a few listens it is growing on me. I do like Between the Lines, Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy, Hazy Daze, Fast as I can & Maver. Really hate Cinnamon and the awful lyrics in that one.

Is Samba Nova available to download anywhere?
Old 06-03-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, Samba Nova is better than anything on the proper album.
Old 06-03-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, Samba Nova is better than anything on the proper album.
Again, I have to concur. However, I will say the more I listen to the album, the more it's growing on me. "Take A Load Off" is classic STP. "Huckleberry Crumble" is the kind of bad-ass shuffle you wish Aerosmith were still capable of writing/doing. I totally dig the fuzzed out guitar riff in "Hazy Daze". "Maver" is a breezy, lazy kind of day diversion. Hell, even "Cinnamon" is starting to stick with me - although I like the music more than the lyrics.

So while it may not be the greatest STP album, or even the one I was hoping for, I'll still take it over no STP album at all. I'd rather listen to this than Weiland's last solo outing, either Velvet Revolver album, or the Army of Anyone record - although they all had the occasional decent moments.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-03-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

[Listened to it twice so far] I'm not liking the album at all... will give it some more spins.
Old 07-04-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^They did, it was their second record called LIBERTAD Better than the first IMO.
Old 07-04-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^They did, it was their second record called LIBERTAD Better than the first IMO.
Have to agree. VR was one of those projects that delivered exactly what I expected them to. The first album had a much more hard-rock focus, while "Lbertad" showed them getting more comfortable with one another and stretching into different areas. Too bad they couldn't stick together for a third, but still glad to see Scott rejoin with STP once again.
Old 07-05-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah woulda liked a 3rd VR album instead.
Old 06-09-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stone Temple Pilots: Alive in the Windy City' Announced for Blu-ray

The first ever concert authorized by the band for commercial video release will rock Blu-ray in a few weeks.

Eagle Rock Entertainment has announced 'Stone Temple Pilots: Alive in the Windy City' for a high-definition release on September 28.

Filmed in state-of-the-art high-definition, recorded in DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM Stereo, Stone Temple Pilots performed a high-octane show at the sold-out Riviera Theatre in Chicago, IL. This March 2010 concert blended new songs from their self-titled sixth album with classic hits from the inception of their career. Vocalist Scott Weiland, bassist Robert DeLeo, guitarist Dean DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz erupted with a stop-on-a-dime tight, blistering set that included “Interstate Love Song” “Plush” “Vasoline” “Creep” “Sex Type Thing” and “Big Empty.” The 18-song show is complemented with bonus exclusive band member interviews -- Total running time is 92 minutes.

Stone Temple Pilots were conceived in 1992 San Diego, successfully melding alternative rock, hard rock, melodic pop, and garage rock into a swirl of post-punk attitude with a hint of glam. Their first two albums—Core and Purple—immediately established them as one of the more adventurous of the American guitar bands. The raw, sonic energy of their songs and live shows propelled two decades worth of success. Amidst numerous break-ups and the four musicians coming and going in different bands, STP has never had a personnel change. Alive In The Windy City documents the strength and live prowess of this 20-year heavy-hitting rock collective.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r_Blu-ray/9584
Old 06-11-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

^^^ This is very good, BTW. I caught the 60-minute version on Palladia, and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the worst after seeing some 2008/2009 YouTube videos of their performances.