Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

High on Fire - A Heavy Metal band that critics like?

Old 03-01-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

High on Fire - A Heavy Metal band that critics like?

Have to admit I haven't been into metal for a long time but this band seems interesting. It's new album is getting great reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...esforthedivine

and they sound pretty good. Any long time fans want to sing their praises?

Ooops this was supposed to be in Music Talk. Someone want to move this?

Last edited by cungar; 03-01-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: High on Fire - A Heavy Metal band that critics like?

Too bad mother didnt force teacher to do same. That would have been better ending .Then kick teachers teeth in. Do the same to dumb ass judge also. JJJUSTCE.
Old 03-01-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, they're really good. They remind me a bit of Kyuss. Dirty, biker/meth-addict desert metal. They're really good live as well. Their last album "Death is This Communion" (sp?) also kicks all kinds of ass. The Sword and a few other bands are working in a similar vein these days.

There are lots of "critically acclaimed" metal bands that have cred with rock snobs:
  • Mastodon
  • Converge
  • Dillinger Escape Plan
  • Meshuggah
  • Pelican
  • Isis
  • Torche
  • etc...

This in no way implies that these bands are "better" that your more typical metal fare, just that metal is very diverse these days.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-01-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

some tracks are available (streaming) on their myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/highonfire

not too shabby
Old 03-01-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm no long time fan, I just started listening to them with their last album Death is This Communion, but that CD is damn good. I've only listened to the new album once through, so I can't really judge it just yet.
Old 03-01-10, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Yeah, they're really good. They remind me a bit of Kyuss. Dirty, biker/meth-addict desert metal. They're really good live as well. Their last album "Death is This Communion" (sp?) also kicks all kinds of ass. The Sword and a few other bands are working in a similar vein these days.

There are lots of "critically acclaimed" metal bands that have cred with rock snobs:
  • Mastodon
  • Converge
  • Dillinger Escape Plan
  • Meshuggah
  • Pelican
  • Isis
  • Torche
  • etc...

This in no way implies that these bands are "better" that your more typical metal fare, just that metal is very diverse these days.
There's absolutely no way that The Dillinger Escape Plan classifies as a metal band. They're a mathcore band with grind and punk influences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNb-YT5ECA

Pelican is more of an atmospheric rock band. Torche, at this point, is pop-metal more than anything else. Pretty misleading list you provided there, on the whole.
Old 03-01-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Medicine View Post
There's absolutely no way that The Dillinger Escape Plan classifies as a metal band. They're a mathcore band with grind and punk influences.

Pelican is more of an atmospheric rock band. Torche, at this point, is pop-metal more than anything else. Pretty misleading list you provided there, on the whole.
Mathcore and grind both fall under the metal umbrella. Pop-METAL would also fall under the METAL category, by name alone. Continual sub-categorization of music genres is obnoxious.
Old 03-01-10, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Have to admit I haven't been into metal for a long time but this band seems interesting. It's new album is getting great reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...esforthedivine

and they sound pretty good. Any long time fans want to sing their praises?

Ooops this was supposed to be in Music Talk. Someone want to move this?
High on Fire is an awesome metal band that is building a tremendous resume. Snakes for the Divine is just the latest in a string of awesome albums by these guys. I'm still letting this new one sink in, and my initial impression is that it is not quite as strong production wise as some of the last albums. But, I think the title track will be an all-time classic and that this one goes for the throat a little more while Death is This Communion was a little more atmospheric. I'd highly recommend checking this band out and the $7.99 Best Buy is offering this new one for (with bonus tracks) is as good a place to start as any.
Old 03-01-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Medicine View Post

Ugg. Metal pedants.

Give it a rest, it's all metal.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-01-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't read reviews on music, so I never know what critics think, but I can confirm that the new High on Fire album is fantastic. Everything from the gorgeous cover art right on down to the pulverizing guitar riffs are making this a front-runner for one of my top albums of '10. Frontman Pike's voice can be something of an acquired taste, but the ferocity of the album is unquestionable. The title track which opens the album made my head spin; it's a thunderstorm of brutality.

I can't wait to see them on April 25th in SD.
Old 03-02-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't Opeth also a critical darling?
Old 03-03-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Wasn't Opeth also a critical darling?
they still are.
Old 03-03-10, 11:43 AM

Ah, High on Fire. Such a good band. I just remember going to my first show in 2003 (Motorhead) and High on Fire was the opening act. I didn't know what it was going to sound like and I was up in front and these crazy looking dude's get up on stage and it was the loudest thing I had ever heard in my life. They were so good live. Speedwolf really got the crowd moving. I haven't heard this album yet but I plan on checking it out soon.
Old 03-03-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wanted to like High on Fire, but I just haven't been that impressed. I saw them open for Opeth along with Baroness and I just kept wishing Baroness had never left the stage. Is there an album I should start with before giving up completely?
Old 03-03-10, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I really wanted to like High on Fire, but I just haven't been that impressed. I saw them open for Opeth along with Baroness and I just kept wishing Baroness had never left the stage. Is there an album I should start with before giving up completely?
I'm not sure if you've had any exposure outside of the live show, but I'd recommend either Blessed Black Wings or Death is This Communion as maybe a good place to start, IMHO.
Old 03-03-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by miller_time22 View Post
I'm not sure if you've had any exposure outside of the live show, but I'd recommend either Blessed Black Wings or Death is This Communion as maybe a good place to start, IMHO.
I had listened to some Youtube videos to get acquainted with them before the show, but have no idea if I was listening to their best or their worst. I'll give those two a listen.

I will say that Matt Pike should really keep his shirt on during shows. A guy with a beer gut hanging over his bullet belt could probably do better with the ladies if he covered it up a bit.
Old 03-03-10, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I had listened to some Youtube videos to get acquainted with them before the show, but have no idea if I was listening to their best or their worst. I'll give those two a listen.

I will say that Matt Pike should really keep his shirt on during shows. A guy with a beer gut hanging over his bullet belt could probably do better with the ladies if he covered it up a bit.
Well, hopefully you'll find something to latch onto, but if not maybe somebody else can offer a better starting place. Glad to hear the positive feedback on Baroness' live show from you as well as I will be seeing them in a couple of months with Mastodon.
Old 03-21-10, 03:59 AM

count me in on someone who didn't like this after a few listens.. but now.. i'm a fan.. i totally dig this band.. to bad the best buy near my house doesn't have any of there early stuff.. these guys are bad ass! the first 3 songs kick ass! came to love track 3.. from reading everybodys post i was expecting more.. i thought nothing special from them.. but i'm a fan now for sure... thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-21-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sergtv View Post
Count me in on someone who didn't like this after a few listens, but now I'm a fan! I totally dig this band! Too bad the Best Buy near my house doesn't have any of their early stuff. These guys are badass! The first 3 songs kick ass! I came to love track #3. From reading everybodys post i was expecting more. I thought nothing special from them, but i'm a fan now for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Fixed.

You're welcome. (or should I say "your welcome"?)
Old 03-22-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fairly new to HOF but they are really good, and kicking myself for not getting into them sooner... Really loving this new album.
Old 03-22-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here. I initially wrote them off as being a stoner/doom metal band (prob based on one or 2 songs on the tube), and am loving the new album. I didn't know they were this progressive either, with 6-8 minute songs and what not