Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Isn't "Jane Says" Mentioned More Often as a Best Song of the '80s?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Why Isn't "Jane Says" Mentioned More Often as a Best Song of the '80s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Why Isn't "Jane Says" Mentioned More Often as a Best Song of the '80s?

For the record I don't think the song is awful. I just seriously never heard it before, ever. Maybe it should be in the top 10 songs no one's ever heard before list.
Old 01-21-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
Just a week or so ago I was listening to a podcast about this song:

http://www.soundography.com/audio/LU-113.mp3

The podcast is "Lyrics Undercover", where the guy talks about the backstory to lyrics in a song.
Egads, man. As if I need yet another podcast to listen to.

I checked out the one for "Common People" yesterday - pretty good. Downloaded a whole bunch more to listen to today. Been a fan of his "Coverville" podcast for a few years now. Can't believe this one slipped under my radar. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-21-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
I like Jane's Addiction, but was never blown away by them. I definitely enjoyed some of their peers from that time period much more.
this

Originally Posted by Lemmy
this
I am curious who were considered peers, that were more enjoyable? Maybe i have my time frames mixed up, but wasn't "nothing's shocking" from around the end of Glam metal/late 80s?

Last edited by Ropes Pierre; 01-21-10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-21-10, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil Collins? Really? That's like saying Amy Grant and Nirvana are peers because they both had hits in the 90s.

Sonic Youth, Ministry, My Bloody Valentine and Jesus And Mary Chain would all be closer peers IMO than almost all listed there.
Old 01-21-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
From the moment I heard "Jane Says" upon release I thought they ripped off a lick in Zep's "Over The Hills and Far Away". About 1:10 in. It's minor, but I hear it.
I thought you were nuts until I listened to both, and I can hear what you're talking about. I think it's minor and unintentional, but at least I know you're not crazy.
Old 01-21-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going farther back in the 80's, I'd directly compare them to Wall Of Voodoo ("Mexican Radio")....you know, odd, quirky music, and a singer that will never be known as a "great" vocalist by any standard.
...ahem...Stan Ridgway (former Wall of Voodoo singer) is one of my favorite artists, I saw him last spring and he's still going strong--and he's a GREAT vocalist and incredible songwriter by MY standard, SO THERE!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHRVVczdRCI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHRVVczdRCI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6Ep8AG1lD4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A6Ep8AG1lD4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-21-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant no disrespect to Stan or WOV, just comparing the similarities between the two bands. I'm just not that interested in delving any further into either bands' catalogues than their respective minor hits, and I think that had these bands been a little less "esoteric" they'd have both probably had more popularity. Again, no offense intended.
I appreciate you point, and no offense taken. I just have to come to the defense of Stan, because he's AWESOME

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJ-B4LEjdt8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJ-B4LEjdt8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-22-10, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going by your brief list, they have no peers, except Ministry, who are certainly (IMNSHO) better than JA, as well.
I'm inclined to agree, except I prefer Al's Ministry side projects more.

What can I say? With Perry's vox, they came off to me as sort of a novelty band.
You got that feeling too? Maybe not so much with "Jane Says" but "Been Caught Stealin" really (IMO) makes them seem that way.
Old 01-22-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
Just a week or so ago I was listening to a podcast about this song:

http://www.soundography.com/audio/LU-113.mp3

The podcast is "Lyrics Undercover", where the guy talks about the backstory to lyrics in a song.
Cool podcast, but $3 for maybe 20 minutes of podcasting a month?
Old 01-22-10, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
One other thing, the difference in quality between Jane's Addiction's first album and "Nothing's Shocking" is still pretty startling. Who would have expected them to drop such a classic after the messy first album?
Do you mean writing (music/lyrics) or sound quality? Because, as I'm sure you know, their first album released as Jane's Addiction is a live album recorded for less than $5K.
Old 01-23-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So much so that when Perry started the Lollapalooza thing, I heard about his plans before a public announcement was made, and I remember thinking to myself "Who in their right mind is going to trust a tour assembled and organized by THAT guy?!?" Just goes to show ya....don't judge a book by it's cover! lol
So he's a better event organizer than he is a singer.
Old 01-23-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I am curious who were considered peers, that were more enjoyable? Maybe i have my time frames mixed up, but wasn't "nothing's shocking" from around the end of Glam metal/late 80s?
Their peers were the bands that were playing the same clubs/bills in the '80s. It was a pretty healthy scene back then.

Guns & Roses
The Hangmen
Junkyard
LA Guns
Pygmy Love Circus
Little Kings

Bands that were more enjoyable that were peers? The correct answer would be Guns & Roses and the Hangmen.
Old 01-23-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
Sonic Youth, Ministry, My Bloody Valentine and Jesus And Mary Chain would all be closer peers IMO than almost all listed there.
And they, too, are better than Janes Addiction.
Old 01-23-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, "Nothing's Shocking" came out in either '88 or '89, sort of at the tail end of the glam metal scene. I even remember "Nothing's Shocking" being reviewed in heavy metal magazines, and getting a mixed reaction.

Jane's Addiction wasn't exactly a heavy metal band, though they were definitely harder than the modern/college/alt rock of the time... which was heavy on the REM, New Order, and The Smiths, from what I recall. JA's image, at the time, was more on the heavy metal side. If you saw a picture of the band, they looked more like Faster Pussycat or Guns and Roses than they did REM.

Then a few years later Nevermind came out, and JA got swept up into the whole grunge thing that took over alt rock/college rock.
Old 01-23-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, "Nothing's Shocking" came out in either '88 or '89, sort of at the tail end of the glam metal scene. I even remember "Nothing's Shocking" being reviewed in heavy metal magazines, and getting a mixed reaction.

But that wasn't their first album. They released a live album on Triple X Records years before that. They were HUGE in the club scene in LA in the mid '80s.
Old 01-24-10, 01:26 AM

i've came to hate this song myself.. my name is sergio and i've been teesed to death about this song.. jane ses i'm done with sergio.. thats just as bad as being teased for the sergio valented jeans in elamentery lol
Old 01-24-10, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sergtv
i've came to hate this song myself.. my name is sergio and i've been teesed to death about this song.. jane ses i'm done with sergio.. thats just as bad as being teased for the sergio valented jeans in elamentery lol
Try living through Fifth Grade with a name like Damien (when the Omen was released).
Old 01-24-10, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Jane's Addiction wasn't exactly a heavy metal band, though they were definitely harder than the modern/college/alt rock of the time... which was heavy on the REM, New Order, and The Smiths, from what I recall. JA's image, at the time, was more on the heavy metal side. If you saw a picture of the band, they looked more like Faster Pussycat or Guns and Roses than they did REM.

Then a few years later Nevermind came out, and JA got swept up into the whole grunge thing that took over alt rock/college rock.
I think JA's image also had a lot to do with being part of the LA scene. Navarro had the typical hard rock guitarist look that was dominated by the likes of Faster Pussycat and other LA hard rock bands but Perry's image didn't fit. Eric Avery's image didn't fit the heavy metal image, either.

JA got swept up into the whole grunge thing???? Ritual de lo Habitual came out a year before Nevermind did and they didn't release another album until 2003. How did they get swept up by the whole grunge thing?
Old 01-24-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Metrodub
JA got swept up into the whole grunge thing???? Ritual de lo Habitual came out a year before Nevermind did and they didn't release another album until 2003. How did they get swept up by the whole grunge thing?
But they became popular as part of grunge -- you'd turn on a modern rock station in the early '90s, and it'd be Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, STP, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden.
Old 01-24-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most people think alternative rock began with grunge, but that's just when it broke through to the mainstream. Some of the best bands were already around in the late '80s -- in fact, it was the glam metal crap that they were an alternative to. Jane's Addiction was just part of a larger group that includes Violent Femmes, The Smithereens, The Replacements, Dinosaur Jr., Throwing Muses, Sonic Youth, etc.
Old 01-24-10, 12:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Pixies.
Old 01-24-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's kinda like saying why wasn't Batman considered one of the best 80's movies? Because it really wasn't a part of the 80's.
Old 01-24-10, 07:25 PM

Just found this thread today. How in the hell did some of you people escape this song for the last 20 years? Seriously, it;s still on the radio almost daily. It's in Rock Band. If you have heard of the band Janes Addiction, you must have heard this song. Just blows my mind...it's their most popular song.

That being said, it's too long and boring
Old 01-24-10, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's kinda like saying why wasn't Batman considered one of the best 80's movies? Because it really wasn't a part of the 80's.
Batman is also not an especially great movie.
Old 01-24-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wait, the Batman movie that has the Joker listening to Prince while he commits crimes? Not part of the '80s?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.