Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

ROB ZOMBIE: "Hellbilly Deluxe 2"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Rob Zombie Tour Goes On Despite "Hellbilly 2' Album Delay

Rob Zombie decided to push back the release date of his "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" album because "everything was turning into a chaotic mess."

Zombie's fourth solo studio album -- and the sequel to his 1998 solo debut -- was originally slated to come out on Nov. 17. But he told Billboard.com during a conference call for his upcoming concert tour that he felt "the basic structure of releasing a record" was not adequately in place for the project.

"Basically the label (Geffen) wasn't really in a position to promote it or deal with it," Zombie explained. "It was basically everything, from getting advance copies to the press to...There wasn't even time to make a video (for the first single, 'What?') and we were leaving for the tour. There was the sense that every little thing about the record was rushed -- not the music, 'cause that was done for a long time, and that was the thing that was so annoying. We spent so much time crafting the record, we didn't want it to be something that was so chaotic that it became, 'Oh, that's done and gone' two weeks later."

Zombie has not set a new release date for the album but promised the announcement would come soon, possibly even this week.

Meanwhile, he and his band are still gearing up for the tour, which kicks off Thursday in Phoenix. He said fans can expect a return to the lavish stage production he'd abandoned in supporting 2006's "Educated Horses."

"It's pretty awesome," Zombie noted. "I have the stage set from the first 'Hellbilly' tour in storage; I toyed with the idea of pulling it out...and using the actual set. But it felt so tired and contrived to do that. It seemed fake. So we've sort of gone back and created what seems like the new version of that...the modernized update of that. There have been some incredible advancements in digital technology. It's pretty high-tech stage show going on. The stage feels very fresh, very modern, very high-tech. It has the spirit of that first show."

Zombie is also planning an "extra special" version of the show for his Halloween night performance at the Palladium in Los Angeles, re-creating the concert scene from his latest film, "Halloween 2," complete with a performance by Capt. Clegg & the Night Creatures and more pyrotechnics than he'll be using during other stops on the tour.

"I hate the idea of going to a concert on Halloween and they don't really make it a Halloween event," Zombie says. "We went to great lengths...It's the concert but also a giant Halloween party."

Zombie will be including some "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" songs -- including "What?" and "Werewolf Women of the S.S." -- in his concerts, even before the album is released, and he plans to be on the road until the fall of 2010. He has more movie work in his crosshairs, too: he just completed work on a director's cut of "Halloween 2" that should be out on DVD in time for the holidays; a rumored remake of "The Blob" is likely but unscheduled: and another film is lined up that will take him out of the horror and gore realm. "If (that's) the next movie," Zombie said, "people will be shocked."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 10-31-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ROB ZOMBIE: "Hellbilly Deluxe 2"

That stinks.
Old 11-01-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've heard his crap about changing up the show several times. Other than the tour where he didn't have any show at all, they've been the same. It would also be nice if Zombie would get an oxygen tank or something up there with him. He only sings about 1/3 of the words, as he's always out of breath.
Old 11-01-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've heard his crap about changing up the show several times. Other than the tour where he didn't have any show at all, they've been the same. It would also be nice if Zombie would get an oxygen tank or something up there with him. He only sings about 1/3 of the words, as he's always out of breath.
you know I never watched him live before but earlier today I saw a clip on youtube and thought the same thing. Sheesh the guy can sing live barely.
Old 11-01-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old Man Zombie needs to take his Geritol, or a protein shake.
Old 11-02-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've seen White/Rob Zombie 3-4 times on tour over the years & I don't think he's sung 50% or more of the words to Thunder Kiss '65 but once.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I can certainly appreciate Rob wanting to return to his "horror-rock" roots, as "Hellbilly Deluxe" is far and away the best CD of the genre, and one of the best CDs released during the last 20 years (in my top 5 easily, with every track being so tied to the concept, that there really is no filler). The thing that bothers me about this NEW release, and all of the sound bytes I've heard/read from RZ about this project, is that he couldn't come up with a better name than "Vol. 2". I believe that his reason for doing this is the steady decline in interest as far as his music goes (and his films as well). It's kinda like somebody standing up and shouting "Hey! I'm over here! Remember me?!? I'm that wild, freaky shock-rocker!!! I don't wanna be taken 'seriously' anymore, I wanna do what has made me famous again!" I think Rob was attempting to be taken seriously with every release SINCE "HB(v1)", as Alice Cooper did, when AC sang material like "I Never Cry" and "You And Me", and made the top 40 easily. But if Rob isn't doing the horror thing, most people really aren't that interested. And now that he's "back", it just seems really contrived. Just my two cents, lol.
That's pretty much how I about RZ. Since he started doing movies, it seems he's takes just enough time to throw something on a cd once every cpl of years and figures it'll sell just because of his name. I haven't bought any of his music since Hellbilly Deluxe.
Old 11-03-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to LOVE White Zombie and early Rob Zombie, but since he's gone so Hollywood, with his crappy Halloween films and weak last album, I've been totally over the guy. Plus, he's a major douche in real life. And he's gotta be the laziest motherfucker on stage. He just runs arounds and half-sings every line, leaving most of the vocal work for his audience to fill in. I'll probably still buy his new album out of habit, or the fact that the first 2 singles sounded pretty good, but I just can't shake how lame he's become. Total sell-out.
Old 11-03-09, 11:14 AM

How do you know he's a douche in real life?

I will be seeing him in December and will be having a meet and greet with him.
Old 11-03-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've met him and I know plenty of people who have worked with him first-hand. The guy is an asshole and a hypocrite. Talented? Yes, but he's losing sight of maintaining artistic integrity by getting sucked up in the Hollywood machine.
Old 11-03-09, 11:53 AM

oh ok. Well hopefully he isnt an asshole when I meet him in December.
Old 11-03-09, 12:38 PM

Location: The Bright Lights of America by way of the Palace of Wisdom in St. Louis, MO

Wow, one big giant zombie hate train
Old 11-03-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chuck Finlay
Wow, one big giant zombie hate train
If you think this is bad, then I suggest you don't go anywhere near the H2 thread in Movie Talk...
Old 11-06-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heard on the radio last Sunday that he left Geffen and went to Roadrunner records.
Old 01-18-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

February 2, 2010

1. Jesus Frankenstein
2. Sick Bubblegum
3. What?
4. Mars Needs Women
5. Werewolf, Baby!
6. Virgin Witch
7. Death And Destiny Inside the Dream Factory
8. Burn
9. Cease To Exist
10. Werewolf Women Of The SS
11. The Man Who Laughs

Old 01-18-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking forward to this but like other people I have low expectations, it has been a long time since we got a complete Rob Zombie album.

I'm concerned that there are only 11 songs, of which 3 of them are probably fillers or intros to other songs.
Old 01-18-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It leaked EVERYWHERE...

iTunes U.S. version seems to have 3 additional remixes etc.
Old 01-18-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've heard a couple songs, and they weren't impressive. After the major letdown Educated Horses was, I'm not even going to bother with this one. I hope the best for Zombie, but I'm done with him.
Old 01-21-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the album and the few tracks I've listened to so far sound like typical Zombie. Not necessarily a bad thing, just more of the same.
Old 01-21-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to one of his shows in November, and the new tracks were going over extremely well with the crowd. He played Sick Bubblegum and What?, and I enjoyed both.
Old 01-21-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

As a huge Zombie fan of nearly fifteen years, I'll admit I'm becoming very wary of anything he's involved with. I loved "Hellbilly Deluxe" and thought "Sinister Urge" was a solid follow up. "Educated Horses" on the other hand was a boring letdown. I haven't heard the new album, so I'll reserve judgment until I do.

His film career is equally disappointing as he seems to be pushing more towards commercial outings like the Halloween films (the first was ok, the second was dreadful) instead of much more ambitious stuff like "The Devil's Rejects," a movie that puts Rodriguez and Tarantino's "Grindhouse" project to shame.
Old 01-23-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn, Rob Zombie To Headline 2010 Mayhem Tour

Hard rock veterans Korn and Rob Zombie have singed on as headliners for the 2010 Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, a 24-date tour scheduled for July and August in the U.S. and Canada. Lamb of God and Five Finger Death Punch will also perform on the main stage.

The annual multi-stage event, produced by Rockstar Taste of Chaos organizer John Reese, Vans Warped Tour founder Kevin Lyman and Creative Artists Agency, will feature multiple stages of heavy music, motorcros exhibitions, comedians, scantily clad "Beachers Babies" dancers, and other variety acts.

Other bands on the bill include Hatebreed, Chimaira, Shadows Fall, Winds of Plague, Atreyu, Norma Jean, In This Moment and 3 inches of Blood.

Presale tickets go on sale on April 2 and tickets go on sale to the general public on April 16 at LiveNation.com. More information about the tour itinerary and ticket sales can be found at Mayhemfest.com.

The Mayhem Festival tour will mark Korn's first major city outing behind the release of its forthcoming 9th studio album, tentatively titled "Korn III - Remember Who You Are." Zombie will also be touring behind a new album, "Hellbill Deluxe 2," which is scheduled for a Feb. 2 release on Roadrunner/Loud & Proud.

2010 is the third year that Rockstar Energy Drink will be the title sponsor of the event. Live Nation is co-producer of the tour and will promote the festival nationally.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 01-23-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i know, lineup sucks. will not be attending
Old 01-23-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
As a huge Zombie fan of nearly fifteen years, I'll admit I'm becoming very wary of anything he's involved with. I loved "Hellbilly Deluxe" and thought "Sinister Urge" was a solid follow up. "Educated Horses" on the other hand was a boring letdown. I haven't heard the new album, so I'll reserve judgment until I do.

His film career is equally disappointing as he seems to be pushing more towards commercial outings like the Halloween films (the first was ok, the second was dreadful) instead of much more ambitious stuff like "The Devil's Rejects," a movie that puts Rodriguez and Tarantino's "Grindhouse" project to shame.
We're in the same boat. I've been a big fan and follower of Zombie's work since 6th grade back in '93, but lately his output has left me cautious of anything he's involved in. House of 1000 Corpses wasn't the second coming of horror many hardcore fans thought it might be, but The Devil's Rejects is flat-out one of the best horror films of the decade. Then came Halloween. Ugh. Then Halloween II, which managed to be so bad it made his remake look as good as the bonafide original.

Same with his musical career. I was a rabid White Zombie fan. I enjoy HBD, thought SU was a decent follow-up, EH was a letdown with only a couple good tracks. This last album is typical and lazy, just like his live shows. I swear the guy just pulls out an old Mad Libs book, fills in cool words like "vampire", "skull" and "cannibal" and calls it lyrics. No wonder when he plays live he doesn't sing half the words, they sound retarded.

Also, John 5 is an amazing guitarist and deserves a better band to shine in than this.
Old 01-25-10, 10:43 PM

he lost me after he left White Zombie

i don't think any of his solo stuff will ever measure up to Thunder Kiss 65

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPNFVj-pISU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPNFVj-pISU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 01-26-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I listened to the tracks on youtube and was not impressed. Mayby he should just stick to movies now

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.