Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 Rock and Roll Hall of fame nominees announced. Let the bitching begin..

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2010 Rock and Roll Hall of fame nominees announced. Let the bitching begin..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 10:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of fame nominees announced. Let the bitching begin..

Originally Posted by B5Erik
How many Platinum albums did LL Cool J have, anyway?
According to Wikipedia:
1985 Radio - Platinum
1987 Bigger and Deffer - 2x Multi-Platinum
1989 Walking with a Panther- Platinum
1990 Mama Said Knock You Out - 2x Multi-Platinum
1993 14 Shots to the Dome - Gold
1995 Mr. Smith- 5x Multi-Platinum
1996 All World: Greatest Hits - Platinum
1997 Phenomenon - Platinum
2000 G.O.A.T. - Gold
2002 10 - Gold
2004 The DEFinition - Gold
2006 Todd Smith - Gold
2008 Exit 13 - Failed to reach Gold

I think the main reason he gets credit is because he's stuck around in rap for 25 years where others from the 80s have faded into obscurity. It says he had a song hit #4 on Billboard Hot 100 as recently as 2006, which you can't say for Doug E Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, Tone Loc, etc.

Last edited by DRG; 09-24-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-24-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of fame nominees announced. Let the bitching begin..

Alice Cooper needs to be in there before anyone.

Also, props to KISS.
Old 09-24-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I'm completely flabbergasted over LL Cool J. WTF? When is "rap" considered "rock 'n roll"? If we're going to completely throw away the meaning of the word "rock 'n roll", why not nominate Garth Brooks or Mozart?
It's a little too late to complain about the semantics of it now, as both Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five have already been inducted (in 2009 and 2007 respectively)....

I actually agree on the LL Cool J nomination considering they have decided rappers will be included...he has had a long career in a type of music that generally has had a very short shelf life for artists....I can't even think offhand of any other hip hop artist from the 80's that has lasted as long as him other than the Beastie Boys (and they are not even a true "pure" rap act)....
Old 09-24-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRG
According to Wikipedia:
1985 Radio - Platinum
1987 Bigger and Deffer - 2x Multi-Platinum
1989 Walking with a Panther- Platinum
1990 Mama Said Knock You Out - 2x Multi-Platinum
1993 14 Shots to the Dome - Gold
1995 Mr. Smith- 5x Multi-Platinum
1996 All World: Greatest Hits - Platinum
1997 Phenomenon - Platinum
2000 G.O.A.T. - Gold
2002 10 - Gold
2004 The DEFinition - Gold
2006 Todd Smith - Gold
2008 Exit 13 - Failed to reach Gold

I think the main reason he gets credit is because he's stuck around in rap for 25 years where others from the 80s have faded into obscurity. It says he had a song hit #4 on Billboard Hot 100 as recently as 2006, which you can't say for Doug E Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, Tone Loc, etc.
I had not idea he had so many records, let alone so many gold and platium records.
Old 09-24-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is Neil Diamond not in the Hall? He's sold more albums than all those acts combined and has run the entire gamut of rock genres.
Old 09-24-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How is Neil Diamond not in the Hall? He's sold more albums than all those acts combined and has run the entire gamut of rock genres.
not my style, but I agree

a snub I never thought of before
Old 09-24-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Maybe the problem is that the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" only inducts about five acts per year out of a pool of thousands.

We're looking at four decades worth of music from across the world, from dozens of genres, and of course a lot of acts are going to get snubbed.

Especially when you have Rolling Stone magazine basically calling the shots. They're going to favor 60s acts, dust off some forgotten old coots from a nursing home to look like they have credibility, fawn over rappers to look PC, and look down on certain genres like heavy metal and prog.
Old 09-24-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe the problem is that the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" only inducts about five acts per year out of a pool of thousands.

We're looking at four decades worth of music from across the world, from dozens of genres, and of course a lot of acts are going to get snubbed.

Especially when you have Rolling Stone magazine basically calling the shots. They're going to favor 60s acts, dust off some forgotten old coots from a nursing home to look like they have credibility, fawn over rappers to look PC, and look down on certain genres like heavy metal and prog.
I actually think they kind of ignore older acts in favor of new ones- look at the whole Grandmaster Flash and Dave Clark Five thing a few years ago.
Old 09-25-09, 01:13 AM

Even though they have shat upon their influence I still believe the Stooges belong in there. Thankfully, I got to see them before they recorded their fourth piece of shite album.
Old 09-25-09, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaza
Even though they have shat upon their influence I still believe the Stooges belong in there. Thankfully, I got to see them before they recorded their fourth piece of shite album.
The Stooges deserve to be in the Hall. So do the New York Dolls. So do the MC5.
Old 09-25-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got nothing against LL Cool J. I own a 7" or two from him and like some of his "music". He's got some great songs. They're just not "rock 'n roll" songs.

Stooges, Dolls, & MC5 certainly need to be in there. I guess they're just saving them for later.
Old 09-25-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by JasonF
The Stooges deserve to be in the Hall. So do the New York Dolls. So do the MC5.
That is the absolute truth right there.

I think Kiss should be in and LL should deserve at least a nomination (he is pretty important to the game if you ask me). As for the others...Genesis is the one that really stands out as a yes. Peppers is a tough call, although they are a good band, I don't think they are a great band.
Old 09-25-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to threadcrap, more to have a discussion: what exactly is the point of the rock HOF? Who cares?
Old 09-25-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^Geez if you're going to threadcrap at least be original. I see this comment on just about every thread about the RRHOF.
Old 09-25-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't get it, how is Rush not in there?
Old 09-25-09, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
How many Platinum albums did LL Cool J have, anyway? If I remember right his career went downhill fast in the 90's. He has only been remembered as a rapper because of his acting career.

I find it hard to believe that they'd nominate him over several deserving ROCK acts. It seems that the HOF has become totally PC in their nominating process.
You are very much mistaken. LL is one of the pioneers of hip hop and his career didn't go down fast in the 90's. He was pretty popular in the 90's. This decade he has faded out and become more of an actor. He's had a lot of hits, and when MTV was playing videos his was in heavy rotation. You could probably credit him with being one of the rappers that did the hip hop smooth/love songs. He really could mix different styles: smooth(I Need Love, Loungin) and hard(Mama Said KNock You Out, Radio, I Need A Beat). LL is not a fly by night rapper you are making him out to be.

Last edited by bootsy; 09-25-09 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
I don't get it, how is Rush not in there?
It's all about the Jann Wenner gang and their outdated snobbery against everything hard or heavy (or prog) in rock music. I'm amazed that Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath and Metallica made the cut, because historically none of these bands were treated very well in the pages of Rolling Stone.

This year, Kiss doesn't have a prayer of induction. Wenner will undoubtedly veto them if they get enough votes. But their nomination is shocking enough (there is no way it would have happened just a few years ago) and may be a sign that the process has been overhauled after the Dave Clark 5 fiasco.
Old 09-26-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
You are very much mistaken. LL is one of the pioneers of hip hop and his career didn't go down fast in the 90's. He was pretty popular in the 90's. This decade he has faded out and become more of an actor. He's had a lot of hits, and when MTV was playing videos his was in heavy rotation. You could probably credit him with being one of the rappers that did the hip hop smooth/love songs. He really could mix different styles: smooth(I Need Love, Loungin) and hard(Mama Said KNock You Out, Radio, I Need A Beat). LL is not a fly by night rapper you are making him out to be.
Then I stand corrected. I knew he put out other albums, but as I had not seen or heard anything from them I assumed them to be like most rap artists' later albums - slow sellers.
Old 09-26-09, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like RHCP, but I'd hate to see them get in before some earlier acts that deserve it.
Old 09-26-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
There is no way Genesis should get in before Yes.
Being a HUGE Yes fan, I can absolutely see Genesis getting the nod before Yes. Looking back over their respective discographies, Yes' output was much more spotty than Genesis. Even when Gabriel left the band after the masterpiece that was 'The Lamb', the Collin's fronted band still managed to put out some top-notch material for a while ('Duke' is still one of the best things they ever did). The same can not be said of Yes. After their duel masterpiece's of 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge', they decided to drop a couple lemons ('Tales' & 'Relayer'). A great comeback with 'Going For the One', but that one pretty much signaled the end of their classic sound.

So while Genesis can pretty much boast 6 or 7 classic albums, Yes really has only 3 or 4. Based on that, it's okay that Genesis gets the nomination before Yes.
Old 09-26-09, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I've got nothing against LL Cool J. I own a 7" or two from him and like some of his "music". He's got some great songs. They're just not "rock 'n roll" songs.

Stooges, Dolls, & MC5 certainly need to be in there. I guess they're just saving them for later.
I don't have anything agaisnt LL but he is not Rock & Roll. And WTF ABBA?? You got to be kidding, yeah yeah I know they sold millions of albums, but also NOT Rock & Roll.

Alice without a doubt should be in there.
Old 09-26-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
The only thing more shallow than the current induction process is basing it on who sells the most albums. Do you have any idea how many crappy groups have sold a lot of albums?
Old 09-26-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04
Being a HUGE Yes fan, I can absolutely see Genesis getting the nod before Yes. Looking back over their respective discographies, Yes' output was much more spotty than Genesis. Even when Gabriel left the band after the masterpiece that was 'The Lamb', the Collin's fronted band still managed to put out some top-notch material for a while ('Duke' is still one of the best things they ever did). The same can not be said of Yes. After their duel masterpiece's of 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge', they decided to drop a couple lemons ('Tales' & 'Relayer'). A great comeback with 'Going For the One', but that one pretty much signaled the end of their classic sound.

So while Genesis can pretty much boast 6 or 7 classic albums, Yes really has only 3 or 4. Based on that, it's okay that Genesis gets the nomination before Yes.
I like (early) Genesis more but Yes never sold out to the extent Genesis did.
Old 09-26-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
I like (early) Genesis more but Yes never sold out to the extent Genesis did.
Seriously? I know Genesis pretty much went straight down hill after 'Duke', but that was only 4 albums. After 'Going For The One', let's take a look at how Yes didn't sell out:

90125 (3 minute pop 80 songs)
Big Generator (pretty much a carbon copy of 90125)
Union (failed attempt to 'merge' the '70s Yes band with the '80s Yes band)
Talk (not even worth mentioning, it's so bad)
Open Your Eyes (Billy Sherwood...all that needs to be said)
The Ladder (Rick Wakeman, where are you!)
Magnification (okay boys, time to shut it down)

I'd mention Tormoto and Drama, but each of those have some fairly strong material (I really enjoy 'Into The Lens').

Now, I need to make it clear that I'm in favor of both bands being in the hall. Just saying I don't see how Yes is more deserving then Genesis.
Old 09-26-09, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdilia
I don't have anything agaisnt LL but he is not Rock & Roll. And WTF ABBA?? You got to be kidding, yeah yeah I know they sold millions of albums, but also NOT Rock & Roll.

Alice without a doubt should be in there.
Hip hop and disco are sub-genres of rock and roll and have just as much place in the HoF as prog rock, punk, or metal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.