Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the best CDs of all time?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What are the best CDs of all time?

Old 09-02-09, 09:10 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,445
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

This has always been my favorite album to listen to in the CD format:

Old 09-03-09, 02:37 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 18,320
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Didn't Time magazine famously rank Bob Marley's Exodus as the "greatest album of the twentieth century"? How come it didn't make their top 100?
Old 09-03-09, 02:50 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Something had to go so "Live through this" could be on the list.
Old 09-05-09, 09:40 PM
  #54  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Old 09-06-09, 05:47 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

My two all-time favorites:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Cure - Disintegration
Old 09-06-09, 07:09 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Why doesn't someone (not it) run a tournament like what was just recently done for artist, but do best album instead.... then we'll find out.
Old 09-06-09, 07:12 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

I say we run a tournament to determine who will run a best album tournament.

I nominate goodwill.
Old 09-07-09, 03:04 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

I nominate "Live through this".

Oh, you wanted *A PERSON* nominated to *MAKE* the list.
Old 09-07-09, 03:25 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I saw the Chris Isaak Show on the weekend (the one with Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam) and his guitarist? None other than Gunnar Nelson.
Old 09-07-09, 04:27 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 1,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

It's more on my favorites, not the best:

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Garbage - Version 2.0
Old 12-27-09, 08:23 AM
  #61  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

It is interesting to note that the question asked for the best CD of all time. Under that definition I would say that ABBA's album "The Visitors" (1981 LP release, 1982 CD release) is, for me, the greatest CD.

Having said tha,t people here are taking a bit more of a liberal attitude towards this question (ie recommending LPs etc), so in that case, I think that Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D Minor op. 125 is the greatest work of art ever given to human mankind.

---
Rudolf Ondrich
Old 12-27-09, 08:50 AM
  #62  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard Top 200 for like 14 years straight.

And it's one of the best albums of all time to boot!
Looks like you believe in stats.
So what do you think of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER?
Old 12-27-09, 01:46 PM
  #63  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,961
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard Top 200 for like 14 years straight.

And it's one of the best albums of all time to boot!
Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Looks like you believe in stats.
So what do you think of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER?
He made a statement, then his opinion (3 months ago). One does not imply the other.

You don't pay attention much, do you?
Old 12-28-09, 06:54 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: howell nj
Posts: 4,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by Stupid Time list I actually spent time formatting, God knows why

Al Green, Call Me (The Right Stuff, 1973)
Aretha Franklin, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (Atlantic, 1967)
Aretha Franklin, Lady Soul (Atlantic, 1968)
Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique (Capitol, 1989)
Black Sabbath, Paranoid (Warner Brothers, 1971)
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde (Columbia, 1966)
Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited (Columbia, 1965)
Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind (Sony, 1997)
Bob Marley and the Wailers, Legend (Island/Tuff Gong, 1984)
Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run (Sony, 1975)
Carole King, Tapestry (Ode/A&M, 1971)
Chuck Berry, The Great Twenty-Eight (MCA, 1982)
David Bowie, Hunky Dory (RCA, 1971)
David Bowie, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust (RCA, 1972)
DJ Shadow, Endtroducing... (Mo' Wax, 1996)
Dolly Parton, Coat of Many Colors (RCA, 1971)
Dr. Dre, The Chronic (Death Row/Interscope, 1992)
Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (MCA, 1973)
Elvis Presley, Elvis: 30 No. 1 Hits (BMG/Elvis, 2002)
Elvis Presley, Sunrise (BMG / Elvis, 1999)
Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP (Interscope, 2000)
Eric B. and Rakim, Paid in Full (Island, 1987)
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (Warner Brothers, 1977)
Frank Sinatra, In the Wee Small Hours (Capitol, 1954)
Frank Sinatra, Songs for Swingin' Lovers (Capitol, 1955)
Garth Brooks, Ropin' The Wind (Capitol, 1991)
Hank Williams, The Essential Hank Williams Collection: Turn Back the Years (Mercury, 2005)
Hole, Live Through This (Geffen, 1994)
James Brown, Live at the Apollo (1963) (Polydor, 1963)
James Brown, Star Time (Polydor, 1991)
Jimmy Cliff and Various Artists, The Harder They Come (Island, 1972)
John Coltrane, A Love Supreme (Impulse, 1964)
Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison (Sony, 1968)
Joni Mitchell, Blue (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1971)
Kanye West, The College Dropout (Roc-a-Fella, 2004)
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (a.k.a. Zoso) (Wea International, 1971)
Little Richard, Here's Little Richard (Specialty, 1957)
Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (Universal, 1998)
Madonna, Like a Prayer (Sire/London/Rhino, 1989)
Marvin Gaye, What's Going On (Motown, 1971)
Mary J. Blige, My Life (MCA, 1994)
Metallica, Master of Puppets (Elektra/Wea, 1986)
Michael Jackson, Thriller (Sony, 1982)
Miles Davis, Bitches Brew (Sony, 1969)
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (Sony, 1959)
Muddy Waters, The Anthology, 1947 - 1972 (Chess, 2001)
N.W.A, Straight Outta Compton (Priority, 1988)
Neil Young, After the Gold Rush (Reprise, 1970)
Nirvana, Nevermind (DGC Records, 1991)
Oasis, (What's the Story) Morning Glory (Sony, 1995)
Otis Redding, Otis Blue (Atlantic, 1965)
Outkast, Stankonia (LaFace, 2000)
Parliament / Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove (Warner Brothers, 1978)
Patti Smith, Horses (Arista, 1975)
Paul Simon, Graceland (Warner Brothers, 1986)
Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted (Matador, 1992)
PJ Harvey, Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (UMG Recordings, 2000)
Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon (Apple/EMI, 1970)
Prince, Purple Rain (Warner Brothers, 1984)
Prince, Sign O' The Times (Paisley Park, 1987)
Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Def Jam/Columbia, 1988)
R.E.M., Document (I.R.S. Records, 1987)
R.E.M., Out of Time (Warner Brothers, 1991)
Radiohead, Kid A (Capitol, 2000)
Radiohead, OK Computer (Capitol, 1997)
Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music (ABC/Paramount, 1962)
Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers (Columbia, 1961)
Run-DMC, Raising Hell (Arista Records/Profile, 1986)
Sam Cooke, Portrait of a Legend 1951 - 1964 (ABKCO Music & Records, 2003)
Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water (Columbia, 1970)
Sly & the Family Stone, Stand! (Epic, 1969)
Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life (Motown, 1976)
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book (UMG Recordings, 1972)
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1984)
The Band, The Band (Capitol, 1969)
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds (DCC, 1966)
The Beatles, Abbey Road (Capitol, 1969)
The Beatles, Revolver (Capitol, 1966)
The Beatles, Rubber Soul (Capitol, 1965)
The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Capitol, 1967)
The Beatles, The Beatles ("The White Album") (Capitol, 1968)
The Clash, London Calling (Sony, 1979)
The Eagles, Hotel California (Elektra/Wea, 1976)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced (Experience Hendrix, 1967)
The Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die (Bad Boy, 1994)
The Ramones, Ramones (Sire, 1976)
The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street (Virgin, 1972)
The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers (Virgin, 1971)
The Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1977)
The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses (Jive, 1989)
The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground and Nico (Polydor/Pgd, 1967)
The Who, Who's Next (Mobile Fidelity, 1971)
U2, Achtung Baby (Island, 1991)
U2, The Joshua Tree (Island, 1987)
Van Morrison, Astral Weeks (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1968)
Van Morrison, Moondance (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1970)
Various Artists, Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969) (Abkco, 1991)
Willie Nelson, Red Headed Stranger (Sony, 1975)


not one queen album

garbage.
Old 01-03-10, 12:21 AM
  #65  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

There are many but i'd include:

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Armed Forces
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else
Old 01-03-10, 11:54 AM
  #66  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
He made a statement, then his opinion (3 months ago). One does not imply the other.

You don't pay attention much, do you?
I didn't know an opinion had an expiration date.
Because I always check the milk's date.
Old 01-03-10, 02:21 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by tommy28 View Post
Originally Posted by Stupid Time list I actually spent time formatting, God knows why

Spoiler:
Al Green, Call Me (The Right Stuff, 1973)
Aretha Franklin, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (Atlantic, 1967)
Aretha Franklin, Lady Soul (Atlantic, 1968)
Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique (Capitol, 1989)
Black Sabbath, Paranoid (Warner Brothers, 1971)
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde (Columbia, 1966)
Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited (Columbia, 1965)
Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind (Sony, 1997)
Bob Marley and the Wailers, Legend (Island/Tuff Gong, 1984)
Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run (Sony, 1975)
Carole King, Tapestry (Ode/A&M, 1971)
Chuck Berry, The Great Twenty-Eight (MCA, 1982)
David Bowie, Hunky Dory (RCA, 1971)
David Bowie, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust (RCA, 1972)
DJ Shadow, Endtroducing... (Mo' Wax, 1996)
Dolly Parton, Coat of Many Colors (RCA, 1971)
Dr. Dre, The Chronic (Death Row/Interscope, 1992)
Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (MCA, 1973)
Elvis Presley, Elvis: 30 No. 1 Hits (BMG/Elvis, 2002)
Elvis Presley, Sunrise (BMG / Elvis, 1999)
Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP (Interscope, 2000)
Eric B. and Rakim, Paid in Full (Island, 1987)
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (Warner Brothers, 1977)
Frank Sinatra, In the Wee Small Hours (Capitol, 1954)
Frank Sinatra, Songs for Swingin' Lovers (Capitol, 1955)
Garth Brooks, Ropin' The Wind (Capitol, 1991)
Hank Williams, The Essential Hank Williams Collection: Turn Back the Years (Mercury, 2005)
Hole, Live Through This (Geffen, 1994)
James Brown, Live at the Apollo (1963) (Polydor, 1963)
James Brown, Star Time (Polydor, 1991)
Jimmy Cliff and Various Artists, The Harder They Come (Island, 1972)
John Coltrane, A Love Supreme (Impulse, 1964)
Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison (Sony, 1968)
Joni Mitchell, Blue (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1971)
Kanye West, The College Dropout (Roc-a-Fella, 2004)
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (a.k.a. Zoso) (Wea International, 1971)
Little Richard, Here's Little Richard (Specialty, 1957)
Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (Universal, 1998)
Madonna, Like a Prayer (Sire/London/Rhino, 1989)
Marvin Gaye, What's Going On (Motown, 1971)
Mary J. Blige, My Life (MCA, 1994)
Metallica, Master of Puppets (Elektra/Wea, 1986)
Michael Jackson, Thriller (Sony, 1982)
Miles Davis, Bitches Brew (Sony, 1969)
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (Sony, 1959)
Muddy Waters, The Anthology, 1947 - 1972 (Chess, 2001)
N.W.A, Straight Outta Compton (Priority, 1988)
Neil Young, After the Gold Rush (Reprise, 1970)
Nirvana, Nevermind (DGC Records, 1991)
Oasis, (What's the Story) Morning Glory (Sony, 1995)
Otis Redding, Otis Blue (Atlantic, 1965)
Outkast, Stankonia (LaFace, 2000)
Parliament / Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove (Warner Brothers, 1978)
Patti Smith, Horses (Arista, 1975)
Paul Simon, Graceland (Warner Brothers, 1986)
Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted (Matador, 1992)
PJ Harvey, Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (UMG Recordings, 2000)
Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon (Apple/EMI, 1970)
Prince, Purple Rain (Warner Brothers, 1984)
Prince, Sign O' The Times (Paisley Park, 1987)
Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Def Jam/Columbia, 1988)
R.E.M., Document (I.R.S. Records, 1987)
R.E.M., Out of Time (Warner Brothers, 1991)
Radiohead, Kid A (Capitol, 2000)
Radiohead, OK Computer (Capitol, 1997)
Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music (ABC/Paramount, 1962)
Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers (Columbia, 1961)
Run-DMC, Raising Hell (Arista Records/Profile, 1986)
Sam Cooke, Portrait of a Legend 1951 - 1964 (ABKCO Music & Records, 2003)
Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water (Columbia, 1970)
Sly & the Family Stone, Stand! (Epic, 1969)
Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life (Motown, 1976)
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book (UMG Recordings, 1972)
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1984)
The Band, The Band (Capitol, 1969)
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds (DCC, 1966)
The Beatles, Abbey Road (Capitol, 1969)
The Beatles, Revolver (Capitol, 1966)
The Beatles, Rubber Soul (Capitol, 1965)
The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Capitol, 1967)
The Beatles, The Beatles ("The White Album") (Capitol, 1968)
The Clash, London Calling (Sony, 1979)
The Eagles, Hotel California (Elektra/Wea, 1976)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced (Experience Hendrix, 1967)
The Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die (Bad Boy, 1994)
The Ramones, Ramones (Sire, 1976)
The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street (Virgin, 1972)
The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers (Virgin, 1971)
The Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1977)
The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses (Jive, 1989)
The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground and Nico (Polydor/Pgd, 1967)
The Who, Who's Next (Mobile Fidelity, 1971)
U2, Achtung Baby (Island, 1991)
U2, The Joshua Tree (Island, 1987)
Van Morrison, Astral Weeks (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1968)
Van Morrison, Moondance (Warner Brothers/Wea, 1970)
Various Artists, Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969) (Abkco, 1991)
Willie Nelson, Red Headed Stranger (Sony, 1975)


not one queen album

garbage.
No Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen? A Dylan album that isn't Blood on the Tracks?

Fail.
Old 01-03-10, 02:45 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,310
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?



That is a great album.
Old 01-03-10, 04:02 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,139
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Ah yes, the standard Classic Rock top 10.
Yeah, I think a more interesting idea is to come up with a 1980-present list of "essentials." Only time itself can determine which hold up.

Something along the lines of:

U2 - Joshua Tree
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica - (black)
Michael Jackson - Thriller

or even toss in Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime or Empire. That's just rock, I can see tossing in Shania or Garth into the mix even though I'm not a fan.

It's too early to determine a subjective "Best" list of recent music, but one could hardly argue with how monumental the above 5 albums were and by an educated guess, will stand the test of time.
Old 01-03-10, 04:34 PM
  #70  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are the best CDs of all time?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Didn't Time magazine famously rank Bob Marley's Exodus as the "greatest album of the twentieth century"? How come it didn't make their top 100?
Are you sure they didn't name it the worst album of the twentieth century? Because that would make a lot more sense to me.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.