Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Music (Reverse) Sheep II — Any major dude will tell you, it's a change of the guard

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Music (Reverse) Sheep II — Any major dude will tell you, it's a change of the guard

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Never played before? Here's some praise for the game:
Spoiler:

"These things are the most fun way to waste time at work since GemCraft." - maxfisher

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Bus for quite possibly the funniest commentary of any of the sheep games." - orangecrush18

Rules

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a song by Nirvana." A good answer would be Smells Like Teen Spirit and a bad answer might be Marigold.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a member of Pink Floyd". David Gilmour might be a bad answer, but Bob Klose might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers. The lowest score wins.
  • The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier. Wrong answers in Sheep are not penalized.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ×2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a ×2 round and a +6 penalty in a ×3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head, with the exception of questions followed by a √ Check.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • For your convenience, I've made an Excel file where you can prepare your answers. When finished, just select the column of answers and send that in as text via PM. Don't email me the Excel file, that would be silly. (Google version here).
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points if there are less than 6 people with unique answers according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
    NEW! Poor Man's Bonus: If you are in the bottom 50% (rounded up) and you get a Unique Bonus, you get an additional -2. If you are in the bottom 25% (rounded up) and you get a Unique Bonus, you get an additional -3, for a total of -5 extra.
  • Equalizer Question(s) A few questions are Equalizer Questions. These are designed to make the mid- and late-game more competitive. These questions are marked by an E: in front of them. In these questions, all answers are grouped together as per usual, but the top 50% (rounded up) all have their answers count as Reverse Sheep questions, and the bottom 50% (rounded down) have their answers count as Sheep questions. Unique answer bonuses do not trigger during Equalizer questions.
    Spoiler:

Let's say there's six players, with their scores as such:
    Googlemj23 : -40
    PapaRobot : -28
    The Gus : -20
    orangefanta18 : -10
    freensty : 8
    FasonJ : 32

The question was "Name an American car maker" and everyone but FasonJ answered "Ford". (He answered "Chrysler"). The "Ford" answer would count as -5 points to orangefanta18 and freensty, and as +5 points to Googlemj3, PapaRobot and The Gus. FasonJ gets 0 points and remains in last.

The Questions

1. S: ×2 Name a famous concert venue that is not a stadium or sports arena.
  2. S: Name a famous Australian musician or music group.
  3. S: Name a song that charted in the United States whose spoken/sung language is not English.
  4. R: Name a song off of Bob Marley's compilation album Legend.
  5. R: Name an artist or group from the Cash Money Records collective that released an album between 1998 and 2001. Name the artist, not the album.
  6. S: Name the band with the best music videos in the 1990s.
  7. R: ×2 Name a professional athlete who has released an album, either by themselves or as part of a group.
  8. E: Name a recorded and released song by The Beatles that has the word "Love" in it.
  9. S: ×2 Name the quintessential Rolling Stones song.
  10. R: ×3 Name one of the "Big Four" record labels or one of the "Big Four" thrash metal bands.
  11. S: Name a guitar effect that you would get from an effects pedal or stomp box.
  12. S: Name an event mentioned in Billy Joel's song "We Didn't Start the Fire"
  13. R: ×3 Name a band whose name directly and explicitly tells you where they are from.
  14. S: Name an MTV VJ from the late 80s to mid 90s.
  15. S: Name a performer at Woodstock.
  16. R: ×3 Name a band that any member of the Traveling Wilburys was in.
  17. R: ×4 Name a member of N*Sync or the Backstreet Boys.
  18. R: ×4 Name one of the six main KISS makeup faces. Name what the face is supposed to look like, not the person(s) who wore that makeup.
  19. S: ×2 Name the quintessential punk band.
  20. R: ×5 Name a full-length, non-compilation studio album by U2.
  21. R: ×5 Name one of the solo vocalists in USA for Africa's "We are the World".

I will allow answers through Tuesday, July 21, or until we hit 25-or-so players, whichever comes first. Under no circumstance will the game begin before Tuesday, July 21.
Old 07-16-09, 12:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Music (Reverse) Sheep II — Any major dude will tell you, it's a change of the gua

I'm in, but I'm going to tank on this one.
Old 07-16-09, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Music (Reverse) Sheep II — Any major dude will tell you, it's a change of the gua

I'm in like Flynn.

I know two Cash Money Records artists, one of which post-dates 2001. Here's hoping the other had an album in that 4-year window.
Old 07-16-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

In

I have a smart ass answer, hopefully it pays off.
Old 07-16-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm on vacation next week so I'll be sitting out this round, but have to say I love the Billy Joel question.
Old 07-16-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mike: Send in answers anyway.
Old 07-16-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap some of those were hard. Esp. #3 and #13. I also hope that Bus is forgiving on the boy band question. I will now spend some time preparing my defense for the inevitable challenges.
Old 07-16-09, 01:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I will now spend some time preparing my defense for the inevitable challenges.
By now, I'm sure all long-time Sheep players have a full set of lawyers on retainer.
Old 07-16-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm in like Flynn.

I know two Cash Money Records artists, one of which post-dates 2001. Here's hoping the other had an album in that 4-year window.
(In!) I only know one so that my screw me big time.
Old 07-16-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Holy crap some of those were hard. Esp. #3 and #13. I also hope that Bus is forgiving on the boy band question. I will now spend some time preparing my defense for the inevitable challenges.
Hmmm. I actually thought those were one of the easier ones to answer. Now Sheep vs. Reverse is a different animal.
Old 07-16-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure the subtitle of this thread should be "Meet the new boss... same as the old boss"
Old 07-16-09, 01:21 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

What is the definition of being in a band?

For example, (since I don't believe this influences anything), was Bruce in a band?
Old 07-16-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In. Hopefully my rediculous amount of music trivia pays off. Then again, I thought I knew a lot of Star Trek info too.
Old 07-16-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blind Lonnie Ox (a made-up musician) was in a band if there was ever a release of an album where the artist was billed as Blind Lonnie Ox and the Supreme Avengers. Dave Matthews is in a band called The Dave Matthews Band. etc.
Old 07-16-09, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bruce Kulick? Yeah, he was in KISS.

But seriously, are we going by Mordred's rules of a band (i.e. Bill Haley and The Comets is not a band as it is a solo musician with a backing band)?

Edit: D'oh, Bus posted as I was typing. So Bill Haley and the Comets IS a band?
Old 07-16-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

For #4, that album has been released at least twice with different tracklists and number of songs. Can we submit answers from any release or just the original?
Old 07-16-09, 01:31 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks.

And I am in.
Old 07-16-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the Legend question, I will accept songs from the original 14-track release.

No reissues, expanded editions, deluxe editions, Japanese ECDs, etc.
Old 07-16-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, if you re-send your answers after I've cleared something up, please send the entire set of answers. Thanks!
Old 07-16-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

For #13, what about bands who have had a geographic location added to their name to distinguish them from another group of the same name (Van Halen HK, The Belgian Radiohead)
Old 07-16-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll try to be in, but I won't be able to send answers until tomorrow....!
Old 07-16-09, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent mine in. This will not end well for me. I don't know a lot about music.
Old 07-16-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
By now, I'm sure all long-time Sheep players have a full set of lawyers on retainer.
It is too bad the Chicago lawyer is my sworn enemy and hates America (well more than Sheep anyway).
Old 07-16-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Do WWF/WWE wrestlers count as atheletes?
Originally Posted by cdollaz
For #13, what about bands who have had a geographic location added to their name to distinguish them from another group of the same name (Van Halen HK, The Belgian Radiohead)
I don't have a ruling on that, and I suspect we'll do a pre-game challenge on those.
Old 07-16-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Is it officially a part of their name? Does it show up on their records?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.