Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I need more punk!

Old 03-23-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I need more punk!

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Surprised to see that no one has mentioned NOFX yet. "Punk In Drublic" is a good place to start.
Of course, but the OP was talking "classic" punk. NOFX is too "new". We're talking pre-1985 or so...
Old 03-23-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So many good bands and albums named already. I'm not going to try to be comprehensive, just state that some of my favorite early (pre-1980) punk bands are:

The Ramones
The Clash (and I'll stand up for Combat Rock as their most underrated album while you guys are fighting over Sandanista and Give 'Em Enough Rope)
Anything with Johnny Thunders, but especially the New York Dolls
The Dead Boys
The Jam
The Buzzcocks
Generation X
Television

I would cut "early punk" off around 1980, but since others are taking it up to 1985, let me put in recommendations for:

The Replacements
Minor Threat
The Minutemen
Mission of Burma

Rhino records put out two great boxed sets -- one called "No Thanks!" covering the 70s punk scene and another called "Left of the Dial" covering the 80s punk and new wave scenes. These are spectacular samplers of two decades worth of punk music, and I would say that after picking up a few essentials -- things like the first two Ramones albums, Never Mind the Bollocks, and London Calling -- that anybody who is trying to figure out where to head next pick up those sets.

Last edited by JasonF; 03-23-09 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Of course, but the OP was talking "classic" punk. NOFX is too "new". We're talking pre-1985 or so...
Whoops...that's what I get for skimming over the original post.