Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I need more punk!

Old 03-17-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I need more punk!

Minutemen- Double Nickels on the Dime
Old 03-17-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess I should just make my own list:

Ramones first 5 records
Misfits (Danzig version, obviously) everything with the possible exception of "Earth AD", although the Die My Darling EP from that era is awesome.
X - everything through See How We Are, after that it gets wanky. Billy Zoom albums are awesome though
Dag Nasty - Can I Say and to a lesser degree Wig Out at Denko's
Bad Religion - Everything through Stranger than Fiction and from Process of Belief forward, albums without Brett Gurewitz aren't very good. My faves are Suffer and No Control
Cocksparrer - Shock Troops at least, if you like those, dig into Two Monkeys and the rest, there are several pretty decent greatest hits CDs out there
Cramps - Bad Music for Bad People, Gravest Hits, Songs the Lord Taught Us, Stay Sick
Adolescents - first album
Agent Orange - first album and EP
Dickies - Incredible Shrinking Dickies and Dawn of the Dickies are both awesome, as is Stukas over Disneyland
Dwarves - Blood Guts and Pussy, Sugarfix, and Thank Heaven for Little Girls, those are the best.
45 Grave - Sleep in Safety
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Toy Dolls - their first few records are great, but you'd be safe finding the 2 disc greatest hits "We're Mad!"
DOA - Hardcore '81
Circle Jerks - Group Sex, Wild In The Streets, Golden Shower of Hits
and I hate to plug a friend's band, but The Nerve Agents are AMAZING, the albums to get are "Days of the White Owl", and "The Butterfly Collection"
Old 03-17-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Misfits- "Static Age" is a great place to start.
Old 03-18-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Marquee Moon is, at the very least, one of the punk records.
agreed, and Marquee moon is a fantastic album even if you don't think of it as punk. Highly recommend the OP pick it up if they don't have it already.
Old 03-18-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think all of you have covered most of the ones I would have suggested, but I'll try to add a bit to the conversation.

While much of it is a little on the poppy side, I would also recommend The Slits - Cut.

As for some other bands that I don't recall being mentioned (apologies if any of these were mentioned):

Patti Smith - I'm a huge fan!
The Big Boys
The Dicks
Minutemen
UK Subs
Fear
Subhumans
Old 03-18-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May not be the earliest of punk, but it is a dire necessity.

go & buy this now . . .

Old 03-18-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
Bad Brains - S/T
Also: I Against I

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Johnny Thunders ("L.A.M.F.")
Also: So Alone

There's a fantastic compilation called Old School Punk that has a great selection of early 80's stuff: Circle Jerks, Fear, Germs, Flipper, X, Redd Kross, etc.
Old 03-18-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some great recommendations. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned yet is

The Dead Boys Young, Loud and Snotty ("Sonic Reducer" is an especially awesome song)
Old 03-18-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Some great recommendations. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned yet is

The Dead Boys Young, Loud and Snotty ("Sonic Reducer" is an especially awesome song)
Shame on me. Should've been one of the first ones I thought of.
Old 03-18-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Also, personally I would make the Clash's self-titled album first on your to-buy list. I know everyone talks up London Calling (which is a brilliant album in its own right), but there's just something about their first album that is so raw and jaw-clocking. I really think it's one of the best rock 'n roll albums of all time.
Funny but I feel the same way about:
Old 03-18-09, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
May not be the earliest of punk, but it is a dire necessity.

go & buy this now . . .

Agreed.

Hell I recommend all of The Souls albums. They're probably my favorite punk band ever.

I think The Bouncing Souls Live album is a necessity as well. It's one of the few live albums that makes you feel like you're really there. So much energy.
Old 03-18-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post

I already posted it...
Old 03-18-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Funny but I feel the same way about:
Give Em Enough Rope
Meh. Give me Sandinista!
Old 03-19-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apart from the ones already mentioned (Crass, Conflict, Discharge, UK Subs, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys) ...

The Ruts - The Crack
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Slaughter And The Dogs - Do It Dog Style
Anti-Nowhere League - We Are The League
Subhumans - The Day The Country Died
The Exploited - Punk's Not Dead
Old 03-19-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Meh. Give me Sandinista!
A tad too much dub stuff for me. As much as I like Sandinista!, I thought they could've reduced the number of records from 3 to 2 and it would've been better. They veered a too far from punk. I've always considered it their White Album
Old 03-20-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I already posted it...
Sorry man, I didn't notice that. I was kind of surprised that they were "overlooked". Never mind.
Old 03-20-09, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
These are all good, I'll add Misfits "Walk Among Us",
Yes, seriously! Please get "Walk Among Us" before you ever consider picking up the "Legacy Of Brutality" release that Glenn Danzing re-recorded most of the bass lines for. I would even suggest picking up their "Static Age" album, too.

And just what are we considering to be "punk" here? The OP's only wanting the considered "classic" stuff, correct? In that case, I would also suggest getting Fear "The Record" and any of the early Bad Brains releases, or you could pick up the "best of" Bad Brains release that came out a few years ago.

CC

Last edited by ccfixx; 03-20-09 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-20-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
A tad too much dub stuff for me. As much as I like Sandinista!, I thought they could've reduced the number of records from 3 to 2 and it would've been better. They veered a too far from punk. I've always considered it their White Album
Yep, to me, if they could have cut Sandinista! down to even a double album, it might have been the best thing they ever did. I didn't mind that they veered away from punk, but it just seemed to me that some of those tracks were interesting, but forgettable experiments.

I do love Give Em Enough Rope. There's so much persective in the writing there. On only their 2nd album, they were already taking themselves down a peg and poking a hole in their "rebel chic" image with "Safe European Home" (one of the greatest pure rockers ever recorded, IMO), and "Cheapskate" talks about their already strained relations with the more dogmatic punk ethicists. I wouldn't argue that it's one of their best works, but to me the groundwork was laid on this one for the Clash outgrowing punk and just being The Clash.

My favorite Clash release is probably Black Market Clash, even though it's not an official album. The mix of stuff on that one, from their great early singles like Capital Radio, The Prisoner and City of the Dead, to awesome covers liked Pressure Drop and Armagideon Time, to dub stuff with Bankrobber---that compilation to me really encapsulates what The Clash were about.

I never saw The Clash in concert, but I was fortunate enough to see Joe Strummer in Boston in 1999. He would alternate between one new song off his Rock Art album, and one Clash classic. Seeing him do Safe European Home, London's Burning, Rock the Casbah and Bankrobber live was one of my favorite concert moments ever.
Old 03-20-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
On only their 2nd album, they were already taking themselves down a peg and poking a hole in their "rebel chic" image with "Safe European Home" (one of the greatest pure rockers ever recorded, IMO),
One of my personal favorite songs of all time. In one song, it destroys all of the pretentious posing rife in (most) punk. And it effing rocks, I can't think of too many better side 1 track 1s.
Old 03-22-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-22-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think I have seen it mentioned, but I would recommend Mission of Burma- Signals, Calls and Marches.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but I would still consider it punk
Old 03-22-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't like spending 3 days punching studs into your dad's leather jacket, sewing hot topic patches onto your pajama pants and spending 30 bucks in knox gelatin here's a few old bands and some slightly modern bands you can check out:

Propagandhi
Ignite
Capital
SNFU
Sick of it all
Strung out
Old 03-22-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Surprised to see that no one has mentioned NOFX yet. "Punk In Drublic" is a good place to start.
Old 03-22-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was going with the pre-1985 rule. NoFX are awesome, Punk in Drublic, White Trash Two Heebs and a Bean, and The War On Errorism are great.
Old 03-22-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I was going with the pre-1985 rule. NoFX are awesome, Punk in Drublic, White Trash Two Heebs and a Bean, and The War On Errorism are great.
Don't forget The Decline.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.