Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

iTunes store quesiton

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

iTunes store quesiton

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iTunes store quesiton

Ok, so I wanted to start upgrading my previously purchased iTunes songs to DRM free MP3's.

But here is my issue, my songs have been removed from the purchased folder within iTunes and currently reside on my external hard drive. I import them into iTunes and try to move them into the purchased playlist and no dice.

Anyone know what I can do to get iTunes to recognize my songs?
Old 01-21-09, 04:16 PM

Re: iTunes store quesiton

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.... but you might have to burn the songs to a music CD and then re-rip them back to your PC. This is the only way I know of to get around DRM.
Old 01-21-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jray
I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.... but you might have to burn the songs to a music CD and then re-rip them back to your PC. This is the only way I know of to get around DRM.
http://dvice.com/archives/2009/01/apple_lets_you.php
Old 01-21-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
Ok, so I wanted to start upgrading my previously purchased iTunes songs to DRM free MP3's.

But here is my issue, my songs have been removed from the purchased folder within iTunes and currently reside on my external hard drive. I import them into iTunes and try to move them into the purchased playlist and no dice.

Anyone know what I can do to get iTunes to recognize my songs?
The bad news is that, as far as I know, once purchases are no longer in your Purchased playlist, there's no way to get them back into it. For reasons I still don't understand, last summer my iTunes library was completely emptied. All the songs and videos were still on my external hard drive, but I had to completely add everything all over again. I lost all my playlists, including the Purchased one. Now, my Purchased playlist only tracks things I've bought since the reboot.

The good news is that you shouldn't need your library to upgrade. Just open iTunes store and, under the Quick Links, click on "Upgrade to iTunes Plus." I've re-titled some songs, and even deleted one or two after buying them (because I later bought the CD and imported from that); each thing I purchased that has an iTunes Plus version available is showing up anyway.
Old 01-21-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind, iTunes does not sell MP3s.

What happens when you go to the upgrade page at the iTune Store. Does it not reflect your purchases? I would think it would be based on your account history with iTunes, not what is on your purchased playlist.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-21-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 08:34 AM

I thought they were MP3's...either way not a big deal.

Where is the upgrade page in the iTunes store?
Old 01-22-09, 11:40 AM

Oh, thanks. I didn't catch that announcement. That's cool
Old 01-22-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where is the upgrade page in the iTunes store?
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Just open iTunes store and, under the Quick Links, click on "Upgrade to iTunes Plus."
When someone answers your questions and offers you help, the very least you can do is read what they tell you.
Old 01-22-09, 03:27 PM

When someone answers your questions and offers you help, the very least you can do is read what they tell you.
Easy now...I missed it. I will try that out.
Old 01-22-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they were MP3's...either way not a big deal.
It is if you think you're ever going to listen to your music on an MP3 player that isn't compatible with iTunes' AAC format.
Old 01-24-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: iTunes store question

Easy now...I missed it. I will try that out.
Oh, okay. No big deal. Just don't let it happen again!
Old 01-25-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question and i also did a search but couldn't find an answer to my question:

how do i search for music that can only be found in the itunes store?

i am aware of the quicklinks for Itunes Originals and the Live from... series but I understand that there are other stuff out there - for example, Pearl Jam Live at Lollapalooza 2007 - that's exclusive to Itunes only.

so does anyone know how to do a search for stuff like that or is there a comprehensive list online that I could peruse?

any help would be appreciated, thank you very much
Old 01-25-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

For reasons I still don't understand, last summer my iTunes library was completely emptied. All the songs and videos were still on my external hard drive, but I had to completely add everything all over again. I lost all my playlists, including the Purchased one. Now, my Purchased playlist only tracks things I've bought since the reboot.
The same thing happened to me late last year! I have no idea why it did that, but it was extremely frustrating having to load 18,000 songs back into my iTunes (see, I keep full albums on my external HD, but only select songs in my iTunes). Very time consuming.
Old 01-26-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
how do i search for music that can only be found in the itunes store?
Unfortunately, there is no simple link to all exclusives like Rhapsody offers. I periodically enter the words "iTunes" or "exclusive" in the search field. Another way is to actually delve into what titles are available by artists you like. Click into their name, and it will bring up everything they have that is by the artist, includes the artist, or is even about the artist.

You might also consider signing up for alerts of your favorite artists to see if they post any kind of exclusive in the future. I've done this, and so far most of my alerts have been for catalog titles being added, but I suspect some day it'll pay off.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure, but it's the best I've got. Anyone else know of anything more useful?
Old 01-27-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks MinLShaw