Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we can put reviews in here. Some may prefer them to be spoilerized though.
Old 12-04-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mix is finally done; 29 tracks - one a brief intro) - 320 kbps, 1:44:31 total time (and that's as pared down as I could get it; if you burn it to CD, tracks 1-15 would be disc one and 16-29 disc two). The mix has a little library music, some dub, a little jazz, a few spice cuts, a model, a movie star, and a drag queen; nothing too obscure but some jarring juxtapositions I suppose. I've removed the ID tags so that each track has a number but no artist or title info. Rocketdog2000's post made me want to do it that way. I'll keep track of when it gets downloaded and then I'll post a spoilerized tracklist if anyone's interested. I'll try to make a cover later. Thanks to The Bus for his time and effort.
Old 12-04-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Uploaded mine and set the link along to Bus. Here's the cover:

Although I do enjoy some light design in Photoshop, making a cover is pretty simple if you aren't very familiar with imaging programs. Just find an image you like (flickr is always a good place to search) then resize and add your text in one of the free editors like Irfanview.
I can only sync a few of your songs with my Zune. It asks me to log in when I try to sync any of the others. Do you know why this is?
Old 12-04-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe some of his stuff is aac? if so, go on itunes, and select 'convert to mp3', then go to whatever you use, and sync them like that?
Old 12-05-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I can only sync a few of your songs with my Zune. It asks me to log in when I try to sync any of the others. Do you know why this is?
There's nothing unusual about the files; they're all 192kbs MP3s save for a couple that were VBR MP3s. They play without any issue on my laptop, were able to be burned to a CD and load fine on my Sansa.

As an aside, were the links e-mailed to everyone at this point or are they being spaced out? I haven't received anything, which is why I ask.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 12-05-08 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I sent you an email a couple of days ago, CB.
Old 12-05-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
There's nothing unusual about the files; they're all 192kbs MP3s save for a couple that were VBR MP3s. They play without any issue on my laptop, were able to be burned to a CD and load fine on my Sansa.

As an aside, were the links e-mailed to everyone at this point or are they being spaced out? I haven't received anything, which is why I ask.
That is weird. I will probably just burn them to CD then.
Old 12-05-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished Gator's 2 mixes and I will say
Spoiler:
I really like Mad world, so that was a very good way to start off. I like that version of My Emortal, so that was a nice chooice. Who says you can't go home - Not such a fan. I enjoy the Kid Rock songs well enough. Did not like Boyzone or Simple Plan at all.I would have prefered the Let's get Retarded version in lieu of Let's get it started as it seems much less PC. Queen and Morrissey are big pluses in my book. Overall it looks like you took some time to think out your choices and the end mix is pretty good.
Old 12-05-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i finished Wishbone's mix
Spoiler:
"The Lighter Side of Metal" Interesting selection of songs. My only beef with it is that alot of it are the 2 minute acoustic/electric instrumentals that most people skip, since alot of those feel like they needed filler for their album. I did like the Death Angel song (ironically, i thought that one was too short), and of course anything by Opeth is a win for me. A good idea for a mix but i would have prefered it if some of the songs had singing. Also the Forbidden song feels like it ended abruptly, unless it is one of those songs that goes into the next track.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-05-08 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i finished Wishbone's mix
Spoiler:
"The Lighter Side of Metal" Interesting selection of songs. My only beef with it is that alot of it are the 2 minute acoustic/electric instrumentals that most people skip, since alot of those feel like they needed filler for their album. I did like the Death Angel song (ironically, i thought that one was too short), and of course anything by Opeth is a win for me. A good idea for a mix but i would have prefered it if some of the songs had singing. Also the Forbidden song feels like it ended abruptly, unless it is one of those songs that goes into the next track.
Thank you for the write up Rypro
Spoiler:
I tried to think of something different for a mix with the CDs I have on hand. You're right, a lot of the songs are too short/filler-esc -- most acoustic or softer selections in metal are intros to the heavier portion of the song so I was limited to some shorter songs. I tried my best to place the shorter songs as a lead into longer songs. Also I wanted to shy away from songs that were aggressive and had a lot of distortion so that limited my selections as well.

If you have not heard Forbidden's "Twisted Into Form" album then I highly recommend it. "Parting of the Ways" is pretty an intro to "Infinite." Death Angel had another "softer" song on "Act III" -- "A Room With A View" -- but I prefer the one I selected.
I have pretty much listened to Round One of the mixes but I want to give them another listen before I give my write ups. Great stuff so far and a big thanks to The Bus for bringin' it all together!
Old 12-05-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I just finished Gator's 2 mixes and I will say
Spoiler:
I really like Mad world, so that was a very good way to start off. I like that version of My Emortal, so that was a nice chooice. Who says you can't go home - Not such a fan. I enjoy the Kid Rock songs well enough. Did not like Boyzone or Simple Plan at all.I would have prefered the Let's get Retarded version in lieu of Let's get it started as it seems much less PC. Queen and Morrissey are big pluses in my book. Overall it looks like you took some time to think out your choices and the end mix is pretty good.
Thanks for the review I actually just made a mix of all my favorite songs in order, so those are the songs that are closest to my heart. #1 is my favorite song of all-time, though (for now).
Old 12-06-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I re-uploaded my mix with MP3 tags on all songs this time and just e-mailed everyone the new download link. (Sorry that it slipped my mind to set the tags in the first place.)
Old 12-06-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Second mix is up.

I mixed both of them using M-Audio's Torq DVS (digital vinyl system) from a variety of sources. Most are lossless files ripped from my CDs, but there's a few needle drops from my record collection, and one low-bitrate mp3 that I ripped from a myspace page. Play identify the source! I didn't do much beatmixing, I just blended the beginnings and ends of tracks and tried to level out the loudness from track to track. Hopefully nothing has you diving for your volume control.
Old 12-06-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
So far Rypro's mix wins the award for the most
Spoiler:
blast beats!

With such a varied mix of genres you did a great job on transitions from song to song -- I noticed elements carried over like female vocals or aggressive tones. Any mix that can work in Johnny Cash, Fergie, and Slayer is aces with me! Great mix, thanks.
Old 12-06-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbone
So far Rypro's mix wins the award for the most
Spoiler:
blast beats!

With such a varied mix of genres you did a great job on transitions from song to song -- I noticed elements carried over like female vocals or aggressive tones. Any mix that can work in Johnny Cash, Fergie, and Slayer is aces with me! Great mix, thanks.
no prob
Spoiler:
the only real debate i had was, i was originally going to put Cash's cover of 'hurt' instead of 'the man who comes to town', but i thought the song i went with went better with the previous songs ending (a crazy breakdown, followed by a mild mannered 'thank you', then going into the radio static of 'the man who comes to town'. And imo, Seasons in the Aybss is such a great way to close. I was debating if i should go with 'hallowed' but i think i made the right choice) Probably the hardest transition was going from 'what if god doesn't care', to a pop punk song. I got rid of the opening, it was really hard to get that exact milisecond where the guitar riff starts,and where you can't hear the previous line. i think i did good on it, you can still here the 'sss' a tad though.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-06-08 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Next review up will be Dhmac's mix. Which will be interesting since i really haven't heard of most of the artists, save for 2.
Old 12-12-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would someone please walk me through posting my mix to Divshare? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Would someone please walk me through posting my mix to Divshare? Thanks in advance.
You'll want to first zip up the MP3s into one file (WinRAR is free and simple) and then on Divshare (as an aside, I prefer Zshare since it's faster and doesn't require an account, but that's neither here nor there...) you'll first create your account and a couple of screens later, will arrive at the upload screen. Click the 'choose' button and select the ZIP file you made. Skip over the 'sharing options' section here, enter an e-mail you'd like the download link to be sent to (this is optional; you'll be shown the link after the file finishes uploading) and then click upload. A little while later, that download link is what you need to send along to The Bus so he can distribute it to everyone.
Old 12-13-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll send out the next email this weekend.
Old 12-13-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Thanks for the review I actually just made a mix of all my favorite songs in order, so those are the songs that are closest to my heart. #1 is my favorite song of all-time, though (for now).
And here I thought you put effort into it
Old 12-13-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
And here I thought you put effort into it
It took me about 2 hours to cut the list down to those and sort it into most favorite to least favorite, does that count?
Old 12-14-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Okay, I finally made my mix and sent it to The Bus. I was thinking about doing this one theme, but last night as I was going through my library I came across a song by Amy LaVere and completely switched gears.

Unfortunately, my files are a mix of mp3 and AAC, with varying bit rates. Pretty much all of my CDs are in storage, so I couldn't re-rip them (you can tell which songs I ripped a few years ago - for my first iPod - when space was at more of a premium for me than it is now). Sorry if that bugs anyone.
Old 12-20-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The Bus - did you get my PM last weekend? Is the Project over?

If not, I haven't checked my download link (or given it out to anyone else) since then, so it may have expired if no one's downloaded it. Let me know if I need to re-upload my mix.
Old 12-20-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
And what are the additional mixes in the project now? I'd like to download any others that weren't in the original group before I start posting my reviews.
Old 12-22-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
The Bus - did you get my PM last weekend? Is the Project over?
I have a bad feeling about this...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.