Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Also, can anyone point me to where I can get a good free program for XP that edits ID3 tags (including embedding artwork in a file)?
I love Media Monkey.
Old 12-02-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whaaat
What bitrate of mp3 are people using?
Old 12-02-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, since I've been known to get some music from, uh, "various sources" the bit rates will likely be all over the place (probably nothing below 192 kbs, though). Sorry if that gets on anyone's nerves.

Also, there's a good chance that files will be mix of mp3 and aac.

I won't know for sure until I make an actual mix.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I love Media Monkey.
The site's blocked here at work, so I'll have to check it out later. But isn't that a media player? I don't need yet another one of those.

I'm more interested in finding just a tiny program that solely does ID3 editing. I've found some through Googling, but was wondering if anyone's had experience with any specific programs.
Old 12-02-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by The Bus
Certainly, if you're advanced enough to be able to make a DJ mix, go for it. I may do it only because I will edit some songs for length, but at most I'll be using SoundForge to cut the tracks. No fancy-schamncy Vegas / Cakewalk type work. I stopped doing that in college.

I meant ideally something that, in time, will fill a CD. So, ideally, 73:59 or less, or 79:59 or less, if you buy the 80-minute CDs.
Cool thanks for the clarification....this will be my project tonight, since The Shield is no longer on.
Old 12-02-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
It's not too late to join.

Tips & Tricks:
  • When you PM me, please include an email where I can send you more information along with your mix, a download URL, and a title (if applicable).
  • If you can, try not to use Rapidshare, as it limits downloads by users. Other options include divshare, megaupload, zshare, and sendspace.
Have you actually sent e-mails yet? I only ask because I want to make sure you aren't being spam filtered.
Old 12-02-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't. Still waiting for people to send me their email information. I will probably send it out by the end of this week.
Old 12-02-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, I have all the email addresses. Expect to be contacted in the next two days.
Old 12-02-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet, just got your email, have a few mixes already. I think the only real rule should be spoilerize the reviews so people can still be surprised and try your damndest to listen to everything in full without skipping anything. I'll prob post my first review either early this morning or tomorrow. Def lookin forward to this.

also does anyone know a good program to play these on. When i up them to itunes the order of songs gets mixed up, so it becomes a pain looking for the songs in the folder and matching them up into a playlist so they can be heard in order.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-02-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Awesome about to download them I thought there'd be more, though! Let me know what you all think of mine
Old 12-02-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cool will do (oh and i wouldn't listen to my mix in front of kids lol)
Old 12-02-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost did a Language Warning label but I figured we're all adults here

Awesome, I looked at Dhmac and Rypro's lists and other than Kelly Osbourne, Mamas and the Papas, and B-52's (but have never listened to) I haven't heard of any of them so I'll be exposed to new stuff for sure

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-02-08 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
sweet, just got your email, have a few mixes already. I think the only real rule should be spoilerize the reviews so people can still be surprised and try your damndest to listen to everything in full without skipping anything. I'll prob post my first review either early this morning or tomorrow. Def lookin forward to this.

also does anyone know a good program to play these on. When i up them to itunes the order of songs gets mixed up, so it becomes a pain looking for the songs in the folder and matching them up into a playlist so they can be heard in order.
Winamp or windows media player should work fine. You can just highlight all the tracks, right click and do "open with".
Old 12-03-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

Awesome, I looked at Dhmac and Rypro's lists and other than Kelly Osbourne, Mamas and the Papas, and B-52's (but have never listened to) I haven't heard of any of them so I'll be exposed to new stuff for sure
so, you've never heard of
Spoiler:
Elton John or Johnny Cash?
Old 12-03-08, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I glanced through it too quickly
Old 12-03-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This gives me an idea to make my mix without artists or song titles and put them into a passworded file or something.
Old 12-03-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, since I've been known to get some music from, uh, "various sources" the bit rates will likely be all over the place (probably nothing below 192 kbs, though). Sorry if that gets on anyone's nerves.

Also, there's a good chance that files will be mix of mp3 and aac.

I won't know for sure until I make an actual mix.

The site's blocked here at work, so I'll have to check it out later. But isn't that a media player? I don't need yet another one of those.

I'm more interested in finding just a tiny program that solely does ID3 editing. I've found some through Googling, but was wondering if anyone's had experience with any specific programs.
I use and have had no problems with mp3tag at mp3tag.de. Completely free and simple to use.
Old 12-03-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I use and have had no problems with mp3tag at mp3tag.de. Completely free and simple to use.
Thanks! I posted this query on Twitter, as well, and last night mp3tag.de started following me. It's kismet!

I'll give it a try after work.
Old 12-03-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Windows Explorer or Winamp.
Old 12-03-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I just saw this thread, is it too late to join in?
Old 12-03-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or start a second round. I'd love to join in, if I can manage the time and suss out the mechanics of it all. Making the mix is the easy part, I've been doing those for over 20 years. Figuring out how to upload it on another site and all that is where I get a bit lost. Guess I'm just not all that computer tech savvy.

When I used to give them to friends, (back in the actual 'tape' days, and I suppose even still with CD's), to get them to listen to them all the way though I'd never give them the list of who and what song was what until after they'd heard it all. I always liked the idea of people listening without any preconceived ideas or prejudices towards certain artists. It was always cool when you could change someone's opinion on this or that artist, and it's easier to do when they don't know prior who they are listening to. Also fun to try and have them guess.
Old 12-03-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, just keep going. I send an email with the current mixes about once a week. I'll stop doing this at the end of this year.
Old 12-03-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Looking at the mixes, it's definitely a variety of styles of music.

And seeing some of the covers and such that other did now makes me wish I had at least included something extra, such as a cover and some liner notes.
Old 12-03-08, 11:13 PM

in honor of beyonce and "i am ... sasha fierce" i have a double album, half acoustic and half electric - too tired to wait to upload it tonight but i'll PM the bus tomorrow with the coordinates - i suck at graphics and whatnot, so when it's up if anyone wants to contribute that would be outstanding...looking forward to hearing some interesting things.
Old 12-04-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first mix is done.
Old 12-04-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you think there should be a second thread just for reviews?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.