DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Your Two Favorite tracks from METALLICA's "METALLICA" (1991) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/543940-your-two-favorite-tracks-metallicas-metallica-1991-a.html)

Buttmunker 11-18-08 07:48 AM

Your Two Favorite tracks from METALLICA's "METALLICA" (1991)

*Since the poll option only offers 10 positions, I'm going to exclude the hits Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven

Out of the ten tracks, which two would you say are still your favorite?

For me, Through The Never (love the solo) and The Struggle Within (love the snare drum and the pace)

The tracks:
2. Sad But True
3. Holier Than Thou
5. Wherever I May Roam
6. Don't Tread On Me
7. Through The Never
8. Nothing Else Matters
9. Of Wolf And Man
10. The God That Failed
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The Struggle Within

bunkaroo 11-18-08 11:26 AM

I voted Sad But True and My Friend Of Misery.

Always loved Sad But True well before it was a single. MFOM because I love the bass parts.

Canis Firebrand 11-18-08 12:50 PM

I actually forgot it was self-titled.. I always call it The Black Album.. as I'm sure many others do.

For me, tough choice on just two songs.. I went with Sad But True and Of Wolf and Man. Just something about the lyrics and beat of the song OWAM.

The Black 11-18-08 01:05 PM

Wherever I may roam
+
Sad but true

DVD Josh 11-18-08 01:51 PM

WTF...how can you not include what are likely to be people's favorite tracks. I love Unforgiven, I think it's Kurt's best EVER solo.

This is poll is useless without ES at least. Useless.

fumanstan 11-18-08 02:09 PM

Enter Sandman + Nothing Else Matters.

db27 11-18-08 02:45 PM

of wolf and man, holier than thou are my fave faves....unforgiven is the best solo kirk has ever layed down.

misery best bass line

but I love them all :)

chris_sc77 11-18-08 02:47 PM

Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven

pinata242 11-18-08 02:49 PM

Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters

I wouldn't have picked either of the two you omitted anyway.

dick_grayson 11-18-08 03:15 PM

My Friend of Misery
Through The Never

wishbone 11-18-08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson (Post 9079954)
My Friend of Misery
Through The Never

Seconded.

Tokyo Vigilante 11-18-08 03:51 PM

I am new here to the music section, but how can you leave out those two tracks?

However, I voted for Through The Never and Struggle Within.

project86 11-18-08 04:34 PM

I picked all of them to screw with your poll. Ha-ha!

Flashback 11-18-08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tokyo Vigilante (Post 9080036)

I have no idea ...

GuessWho 11-18-08 09:21 PM

Through the Never
Of Wolf and Man

NoirFan 11-18-08 09:58 PM

None. That album marked the beginning of the downward spiral for them.

inri222 11-18-08 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9080742)

:thumbsup:

Josh-da-man 11-18-08 10:52 PM

Went with "Sad But True" and "Through the Never."

Also sort of have a soft spot for "Struggle Within."

Those three songs, along with "Unforgiven" are the only decent songs on the album. They actually sound and feel closest to what Metallica should sound like.

The other songs, particularly the singles, are too commercial-sounding radio-friendly Metallica.

Rypro 525 11-19-08 01:21 AM

I picked Through the Never and Whenever I May Roam. IMO, Nothing Else Matters is one of the worst Metallica songs they ever created.

Duh Vuh Duh 11-19-08 10:37 AM

Of Wolf and Man
The God that failed

Still have some love for wherever I may roam since I used to put it on a play along with the great drums in it.

Buttmunker 11-19-08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tokyo Vigilante (Post 9080036)

However, I voted for Through The Never and Struggle Within.

For a person who voted the same way the OP did, I must say that I thought the answer to your question was quite obvious.

Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven were the two biggest hits of Metallica's career. What good is a poll if you know people are going to vote for the two biggest hits of Metallica's career? I wanted to know what people's thoughts were for the rest of the album. I already know people liked Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven. No sense in that.

EDIT: I would have included them, but I didn't have the option to include all 12 tracks. So I left off the two biggest hits of Metallica's career.

johnbook 11-19-08 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9080742)

Highly Disagree, IMO that would be Load..My two picks were!!

Through The Never
Struggle Within

Buttmunker 11-19-08 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnbook (Post 9081843)
Highly Disagree, IMO that would be Load..My two picks were!!

Through The Never
Struggle Within

I agree with you 200%! 100% for Load being the start of the end; 100% for your picks, which matched mine.

nothingfails 11-19-08 02:54 PM

I admit I'm not much of a metal/Metallica fan, but I don't understand the hate this album still received 15+ years later just because it was such a big seller. I can understand the whole "they have more albums than this" type of mentality like Springsteen fans have with Born In The U.S.A. or Prince fans have with Purple Rain as a lot of consumers think that was the only essential album for either, but for the most part, Metallica seems to be the one exception where the fans really hate the biggest album. Whereas U2 fans seem to agree The Joshua Tree is one of their best, and AC/DC fans almost all love Back In Black even if they preferred Bon Scott, etc... Why is it so different with Metallica? Like it or not, The Black Album has become one of those classic rock albums ala Back In Black and Dark Side Of The Moon that consumers continue to flock to in droves. I understand the hate for Load, but The Black Album? That's the one that put them on top of the world!

Buttmunker 11-19-08 03:01 PM

It is a matter worth considering. I mean, any popular group can have a No.1 album on the chart, but it won't necessarily cause the same effect it caused for Metallica in the 1990's. Pantera boasted when their album Far Beyond Driven hit No.1 in 1994, saying, "Metallica's album was the hardest that went to No.1, until we did - we're much harder than the Black Album!" While there may be some truth to that statement, Far Beyond Driven did not remain in the Billboard Top 200 for as many weeks at the Black Album did, nor did it cause another phoenomena from occurring:

In New York, all of a sudden, the classic rock station 92.3 starting doing heavy rotation on old Metallica songs! I mean, they were spinning Master of Puppets and For Whom The Bell Tolls along with the usual classic rock from the 70's. I mean, "heavy metal" was not considered "classic rock" in 1992, 93, 94, etc until Metallica. And their newfound fame didn't flow unto other metal bands like Megadeth or any of their contemporaries. Just Metallica. This was caused due to the success of the Black Album - which, by the way, stayed on the charts for years. Not months, but years