DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Your Two Favorite tracks from METALLICA's "METALLICA" (1991) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/543940-your-two-favorite-tracks-metallicas-metallica-1991-a.html)

Tokyo Vigilante 11-19-08 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9081585)
For a person who voted the same way the OP did, I must say that I thought the answer to your question was quite obvious.

Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven were the two biggest hits of Metallica's career. What good is a poll if you know people are going to vote for the two biggest hits of Metallica's career? I wanted to know what people's thoughts were for the rest of the album. I already know people liked Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven. No sense in that.

EDIT: I would have included them, but I didn't have the option to include all 12 tracks. So I left off the two biggest hits of Metallica's career.

I was looking at it from the sense of, a lot of people love those two songs. Regardless of if they are the biggest hits. I dig both those songs...in fact they would probably be #3 & #4 on the list for me.

I am not trying to say any other than that. I apologize if it was taken any other way.

NoirFan 11-19-08 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9082177)
I admit I'm not much of a metal/Metallica fan, but I don't understand the hate this album still received 15+ years later just because it was such a big seller.

Metallica's first three albums (plus much of Justice, despite it's thin, bass-free production) are near-perfect thrash metal. The Black Album is polished, radio-friendly hard rock. There is a world of difference between the two.

dick_grayson 11-19-08 06:03 PM

nicely put :up:

Josh-da-man 11-19-08 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9082630)
Metallica's first three albums (plus much of Justice, despite it's thin, bass-free production) are near-perfect thrash metal. The Black Album is polished, radio-friendly hard rock. There is a world of difference between the two.

The first four Metallica albums (Kill'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and AJFA) were heavy metal albums made for heavy metal fans.

The Black Album was a Metallica album made for mainstream audiences. It's the album that's safe to play on the radio. It was an album that was safe for the preppies and cheerleaders to listen to. In Nirvana-speak, "a radio friendly unit shifter."

And it had a motherfucking ballad on it. By that time, the "heavy metal ballad" was a punchline, and they went with it anyway.

VHS? 11-19-08 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9079776)
WTF...how can you not include what are likely to be people's favorite tracks. I love Unforgiven, I think it's Kurt's best EVER solo.

This is poll is useless without ES at least. Useless.

Who the fuck is this Kurt guy?

I went with Sad But True and My Friend of Misery
I'm actually surprised at the responses here seeing as so many Metallica fans say this album was the downfall of Metallica - Didnt think there would be any favorites .... :rolleyes:

nodeerforamonth 11-19-08 09:19 PM

"Enter Sandman" & "Sad But True". I really HATE this album though... worst Metallica album ever.

Michael Corvin 11-19-08 10:26 PM

I love the final four tracks that close out the album.

Of Wolf & Man
The God that Failed
My Friend of Misery
The Struggle Within

My two for the poll are in bold though.

SexualPudding 11-19-08 11:26 PM

My Friend of Misery
Of Wolf and Man

bigjim25 11-20-08 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by project86 (Post 9080124)
I picked all of them to screw with your poll. Ha-ha!

Same here! :rimshot:

johnbook 11-20-08 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9083095)
I love the final four tracks that close out the album.

Of Wolf & Man
The God that Failed
My Friend of Misery
The Struggle Within

My two for the poll are in bold though.

Totally agree, IMO most albums start off strong and end a little weak, this album definately ends very strong with those four tracks, along with "Through The Never" those are my 5 favorite tracks from the Black album, also i can't beleive someone said this is the worst Metallica album, that is total bullshit once again IMO, that honor definately goes to that piece of shit "St. Anger", which is the only Metallica cd i don't own.

MaxMFP 11-20-08 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9082177)
I admit I'm not much of a metal/Metallica fan, but I don't understand the hate this album still received 15+ years later just because it was such a big seller. I can understand the whole "they have more albums than this" type of mentality like Springsteen fans have with Born In The U.S.A. or Prince fans have with Purple Rain as a lot of consumers think that was the only essential album for either, but for the most part, Metallica seems to be the one exception where the fans really hate the biggest album. Whereas U2 fans seem to agree The Joshua Tree is one of their best, and AC/DC fans almost all love Back In Black even if they preferred Bon Scott, etc... Why is it so different with Metallica?

Because they completely shit on their sound with this album, duh. I don't give two-shits that it's by far their biggest blockbuster ever. That's not the reason I hate it in the least.

mike7162 11-20-08 09:40 PM

Wherever I May Roam

Sad But True

Wherever I May Roam and Creeping Death are my favorite all time.

Buttmunker 11-21-08 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9082881)

And it had a motherfucking ballad on it. By that time, the "heavy metal ballad" was a punchline, and they went with it anyway.

But the album Ride The Lightning had a ballad on it. That was Metallica's whole argument...fans criticized Metallica in 1984 for "Fade To Black", and fans criticized Metallica for "Nothing Else Matters". Meanwhile, everyone embraces "Fade To Black" now....therefore......

Michael Corvin 11-21-08 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnbook (Post 9083328)
Totally agree, IMO most albums start off strong and end a little weak, this album definately ends very strong with those four tracks, along with "Through The Never" those are my 5 favorite tracks from the Black album,

:up: I like the way you think.

inri222 11-21-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9082630)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9082881)
The first four Metallica albums (Kill'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and AJFA) were heavy metal albums made for heavy metal fans.

The Black Album was a Metallica album made for mainstream audiences. It's the album that's safe to play on the radio. It was an album that was safe for the preppies and cheerleaders to listen to. In Nirvana-speak, "a radio friendly unit shifter."

I have to agree with both these dudes.

yoshimi 11-21-08 04:28 PM

I still listen to this album and love it. I don't get why people bitch about it having a ballad on it. It isn't like it is some silly love song.