Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

Originally Posted by hal9000
You can guess but you'd be wrong. I have Frank and Back To Black I just checked my iTunes and the last time I listened to them (Frank) back in '06 and (Back to Black) in '07. IMO they're both just okay. When I said she had "one good song" I was referring to her popularity with the general public as a whole. She's only known for her "Rehab" song, sure she has others that might be better but they sure as hell aren't as popular as Rehab. Go ahead and point me to information that would prove otherwise.

Personally I prefer Adele to Amy Winehouse. In my opinion Adele's voice is way more soulful and genuine. And quite frankly Amy's trouble with drugs kinda turned me off to her music. If she wasn't really concerned about turning her life around (it's obvious, she's dead) and her career suffered because of that, that's entirely on her.

I'll say what's always said when someone dies after suffering from something terrible... "she's in a better place." Because obviously she was suffering on this planet.
"Frank" never really hooked me, but "Back to Black" is a fantastic album. You are correct though, Adele is a much more soulful singer than Winehouse was. So weird to use past tense. Another great singer with a big voice who doesn't get the attention she should is Beth Ditto. That last Gossip album was quite possibly the best album of 2009 (IMO). Ditto's vocals and range absolutely knocked my socks off.
Old 07-23-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Adele but I wonder without Winehouse's rise to fame would we ever know about Adele? I think Winehouse opened the door for her.
Old 07-24-11, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love Adele but I wonder without Winehouse's rise to fame would we ever know about Adele?
Hell no. No way. This is not a putdown on Adele. I love that there are popular soul tunes that touch back to the 60's. While Winehouse wasn't necessarily completely original, her popularity totally opened the doors for these other women.
Old 07-24-11, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
You can guess but you'd be wrong. I have Frank and Back To Black I just checked my iTunes and the last time I listened to them (Frank) back in '06 and (Back to Black) in '07. IMO they're both just okay. When I said she had "one good song" I was referring to her popularity with the general public as a whole. She's only known for her "Rehab" song, sure she has others that might be better but they sure as hell aren't as popular as Rehab. Go ahead and point me to information that would prove otherwise.

Personally I prefer Adele to Amy Winehouse. In my opinion Adele's voice is way more soulful and genuine. And quite frankly Amy's trouble with drugs kinda turned me off to her music. If she wasn't really concerned about turning her life around (it's obvious, she's dead) and her career suffered because of that, that's entirely on her.
Okay, she had one really popular song, but that wasn't exactly what you said in your first post. "Good" and "popular" rarely mean the same thing in my book when it comes to music. I can understand why people wouldn't want to follow the career of an addicted mess. But I treat Amy's music pretty much the way I've treated any other musician and that's by focusing on the tunes and not their personal life. We've had discussions like this before (not you and me specifically), but I'd have to toss out the majority of my recordings if I had to like the personal lives of each artist.

I thought Back To Black was a massive improvement on Frank for what it's worth.
Old 07-24-11, 10:56 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Okay, she had one really popular song, but that wasn't exactly what you said in your first post. "Good" and "popular" rarely mean the same thing in my book when it comes to music. I can understand why people wouldn't want to follow the career of an addicted mess. But I treat Amy's music pretty much the way I've treated any other musician and that's by focusing on the tunes and not their personal life. We've had discussions like this before (not you and me specifically), but I'd have to toss out the majority of my recordings if I had to like the personal lives of each artist.

I thought Back To Black was a massive improvement on Frank for what it's worth.
You're right, my first post could have been more clear. And I agree, for the most part I can look past addiction or other legal problems when it comes to entertainers that I enjoy. For example, I do believe Michael Jackson had some pretty fucked up issues stemming from his abusive father i.e., "hanging out" with young boys but I still like listening to Off The Wall and Thriller. And I'm not even a Michael Jackson fan... but I'm a huge fan of Quincy Jones, the producer of both those albums.

I also agree with you about Amy's Back To Black album, from start to finish it's pretty tight, and I prefer it much more than Frank. But I find myself skipping tracks on both those albums, unlike Adele whom I can listen to her albums start to finish and all over again... sweet, sweet music. Adele's voice just "does" it for me, it drips like honey, it's that good.

Amy's career was overshadowed by her drug addiction and it should have been the other way around. Her death/drug addiction is unfortunate... she should have been way more prolific in the past 5-6 years. Amy could have easily knocked out an album a year (or every other), instead she let her demons slowly destroy her. I blame her death on the person that gave her her first "line, bump" or "hit."
Old 07-09-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks as if her dad may have a couple more albums to release - once he gets copyrights on the covers cleared:

http://globalgrind.com/music/amy-win...#ixzz1zr9ri2zt

Can't wait!