DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Amy Winehouse's music is amazing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/537823-amy-winehouses-music-amazing.html)

PopcornTreeCt 08-15-08 11:39 PM

Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

I've read about Winehouse's personal problems numerous times. I hadn't actually ever heard anything from her...until now. She's amazing.

I know you guys have probably all heard her music and have your own opinions but she blew me away. Britney Spears is in the news all the time but her music sucks.

Tarantino 08-16-08 12:33 AM

Amy Winehouse is the most overrated piece of trash in the music business right now (besides Lil' Wayne).

I can't stand her or her music.

= J

Giantrobo 08-16-08 06:25 AM

Her music is very good.

mickey65 08-16-08 08:20 AM

I have to agree, I really like her music too. I can't stand to look at her in the state she is in these days, but her voice is something else - on her albums that is.

cdollaz 08-16-08 08:39 AM

Fans should hope she puts out as much material as he can. She could drop dead at any moment.

LivingINClip 08-16-08 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 8879078)
Amy Winehouse is the most overrated piece of trash in the music business right now (besides Lil' Wayne).

I can't stand her or her music.

= J

I like how you added " (besides Lil' Wayne)". ;)

JAA 08-16-08 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8879037)
I've read about Winehouse's personal problems numerous times. I hadn't actually ever heard anything from her...until now. She's amazing . . .

Agreed . . . Some are a bit put off with her personal issues, but as an artist you are correct (she is amazing).

lukewarmwater 08-17-08 04:59 PM

But does she just sing or does she write the lyrics, or play any instruments? I mean I really like the sound of amy winehouse, and DUFFY ( which is like Amy - HEROIN ), but is she anything other then a singer?

I mean going back and looking at the singer's she's emulating, like nina simone, marlene shaw, they did a lot more then just sing.

And if she is just a singer, and she does all the shit she does, then I have to agree with tarantino, which I hate doing.

[email protected] 08-17-08 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater (Post 8881091)
but is she anything other then a singer? .

What's wrong with being "just a singer"? So many of the greats, from Frank Sinatra to Aretha Franklin to Elvis Presley were "just singers", and they helped create and shape pop music throughout the 20th century.

Talent has many different forms, and great singing is one of them.

(Although to answer your question, Amy does indeed write her own material. She is listed as the sole composer for most of her hits, including "Rehab" and "You Know That I'm No Good").

boredsilly 08-17-08 07:29 PM

I really like her first album. It was full of quality R&B. Her current stuff is cool, but I found I got tired of her throwback style really quick. Still, the girl has got some talent. I could give a fuck about her personal demons.

lukewarmwater 08-18-08 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 8881266)
What's wrong with being "just a singer"? So many of the greats, from Frank Sinatra to Aretha Franklin to Elvis Presley were "just singers", and they helped create and shape pop music throughout the 20th century.

Talent has many different forms, and great singing is one of them.

I know a lot of famous musicians were just singers, and a lot of them very talented. But I just don't have much respect "just singers". I respect it to a point, just very little. It's the topping to the ice cream, nothing more.

Singer's can never grow artistically. They might be able to stretch their voice a little, and hit that note they never thought they'd hit, but that's it.

I mean lyrically you can go places. You can write stories, say thing's that never been said before, you can do a lot with just lyrics.

Musically you can experiment and come up with new sounds, become skilled at an instrument, master it, and become an artist with it.

Singers don't. They just sort if stay idle.

And I think being able to sing is overrated too. Everyone has the ability to sing, it's just a matter of finding the right range. I mean you can walk into any church on a sunday and find a choir of people who can sing. What makes the pop singer who "just sings" more talented than any one of choir people?

Which is why lyrics and instruments are so important.

Also I hate that christina aguilera up and down up and down crap she does. That's annoying, not talent.

Giantrobo 08-18-08 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater (Post 8881651)
I know a lot of famous musicians were just singers, and a lot of them very talented. But I just don't have much respect "just singers". I respect it to a point, just very little. It's the topping to the ice cream, nothing more.

Singer's can never grow artistically. They might be able to stretch their voice a little, and hit that note they never thought they'd hit, but that's it.

I mean lyrically you can go places. You can write stories, say thing's that never been said before, you can do a lot with just lyrics.

Musically you can experiment and come up with new sounds, become skilled at an instrument, master it, and become an artist with it.

Singers don't. They just sort if stay idle.

And I think being able to sing is overrated too. Everyone has the ability to sing, it's just a matter of finding the right range. I mean you can walk into any church on a sunday and find a choir of people who can sing. What makes the pop singer who "just sings" more talented than any one of choir people?

Which is why lyrics and instruments are so important.

Also I hate that christina aguilera up and down up and down crap she does. That's annoying, not talent.

No man. The human voice is a legit instrument that deserves respect.

How can you just toss out a piece of the musical pie so easily? I don't think you really understand what goes into being a truly talented singer. Hell, even singers who maybe aren't that gifted as far as range can still take a song to new heights.

What about Opera singers? They don't write their songs either but not everyone can do what they do.

Supermallet 08-18-08 06:15 AM

I would be so happy if I never had to hear "Rehab" again. It was a little catchy the first time I heard it, but only a little, and repeated listens have done nothing but made me hate it.

milo bloom 08-19-08 02:36 PM

I agree she has an incredible voice, and I have to agree with cdollaz (admittedly morbid) thought about archiving as much material as she can before something happens to her.

As for being "just a singer", there's an incredible range of things you can do with just a voice. It's definitely a far cry from "singers" like Britney, Jessica, Christina, whathaveyou, that are all sweetened in production, vs having true, natural talent.

You can go wrong with being just a singer. When Mariah started with the hip-hop stuff, as opposed to pure pop, my interest in her (which wasn't big to begin with) took a major nosedive.

Rocketdog2000 08-19-08 03:01 PM

I can think of at least 1,000 other artist I rather listen to first, but if you dig her, good on you.

Personally, I think she's overrated, a bit "flavor of the month-ish" (as proven by all the imitators out there suddenly), and I'll be amazed not only if she can follow up her last album, but if anyone will still even care when (or if) it ever happens. If you find something more to her than that, that's cool by me.

LiquidSky 08-19-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 8879207)
Her music is very good.

Agreed. :up:

LiquidSky 08-19-08 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater (Post 8881651)

But I just don't have much respect "just singers".

Singer's can never grow artistically.

And I think being able to sing is overrated too.

:eek:

Please listen to:

Nat King Cole
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Sharon Jones

mickey65 08-19-08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky (Post 8884896)

Please listen to:

Nat King Cole
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Sharon Jones

I have all of those in my collection. I just discovered Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings - great stuff! "1,000 days 1,000 Nights" is an EXCELLENT album - and a total "throwback" album to the sound of 60's soul!

Giantrobo 08-19-08 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky (Post 8884896)

Please listen to:

Nat King Cole
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Sharon Jones
<b>Beth Ditto</b>

Fixed :D

atlantamoi 08-19-08 03:56 PM

The "just a singer" thing is so lame. I like songs. I'm not that concerned if I hear a good song and have to know exactly how involved the singer is. Big whoop. I think Amy will crank out a bunch more great albums if she doesn't self-destruct much more. She's the real deal.

I certainly can respect a person who does it all, but it doesn't cloud my enjoyment.

LiquidSky 08-19-08 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 8884936)
Fixed :D

Indeed! :)

macnorton 08-19-08 04:15 PM

Put me in the camp of hating the personal news but loving the music.

I have both Frank and Back to Black and I prefer the newer one. Frank is a little all over the place, but reading up on the history I am not surprised.

big whoppa 08-19-08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 8881761)
No man. The human voice is a legit instrument that deserves respect.

:thumbsup:

Some people sing and some people SANG. As far as Amy, I like the sound. Her voice doesn't do much for me.

cungar 06-19-11 01:59 PM

Re: Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

The downward spiral continues

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E0ZDMf6DTvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amy Winehouse kicked off her European tour Saturday night in Belgrade, Serbia, and almost immediately it appeared that the singer was too inebriated to perform.

Winehouse, 27, has publicly battled her drug and alcohol addiction for years, as the five-time Grammy winner has checked in and out of rehab several times in the past few years. Her latest stint was less than a month ago at London’s Priory Clinic, where she stayed for one week.

In several fan videos posted to YouTube, loud boos can be heard from the 20,000-person crowd at Kalemegdan Park in Belgrade, some switching their chants from “Amy” to “Sh-amy” whenever Winehouse wobbles away from the microphone.

According to BBC correspondent Mark Lowen, who was at the Belgrade concert, Winehouse left the stage several times during the 90-minute show.

In addition to slurring her song lyrics, the singer also sat down in the middle of a song, threw off one of her ballet flats while losing her balance, and threw her microphone to the floor during one song. Her backup singers, Zalon Thompson and Ade Omotayo, attempted to fill in for her and were trying to keep the crowd’s spirits up.

BBC reports that the hotels hosting Winehouse on her European tour have been given strict instructions to remove all alcohol from her rooms. Her camp has not yet released a statement.

Winehouse has just arrived in Istanbul, where she will be performing the second leg of her 12-step tour Monday night.

Numanoid 06-19-11 02:56 PM

Re: Amy Winehouse's music is amazing

You know, if Lady Gaga were to behave like that onstage, all her sycophants would be declaring what an envelope-pushing genius she is.