Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Here's a gargantuan Album by Album thread: KISS

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Here's a gargantuan Album by Album thread: KISS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it looks like we're all pretty much in agreement - Hotter Than Hell is one of the best albums, with the worst sound.

Other than that, there's just too much here to love to let that get in the way. Another batch of some of my favorite KISS material, with "Got To Choose" way at the top of the list (and not just because it's the first song), and "Mainline" being the only kinda blah song here. (Yes, I like "Comin Home", too). I remember the first time I heard "Strange Ways" I thought it was one of the most heavy, evil sounding tunes my then young self had yet encountered, and I loved it!

True, I've often wondered what the album would sound like with better production, but to tell the truth, I never noticed it being so bad when listening to it on vinyl when I was younger. It was really only when the album was transferred to CD that the flaws became more apparent.
Old 08-09-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
If you watched TV in 1974 in the right market you might have seen this...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/geJhGkVSbsY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/geJhGkVSbsY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The first two albums (KISS and Hotter Than Hell) really laid the foundation that they build their whole career on.

Think about it - "Strutter," "Nothin' To Lose," "Firehouse," "Cold Gin," "Deuce," "100,000 Years," "Black Diamond," "Got to Choose," "Parasite," "Hotter Than Hell," "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll," and "Watchin' You." All staples of their live set for the next couple of years - the years that built up their fanbase. By the time the hits started coming they already had an amazing setlist for their concerts. And they've always played at least a couple of those songs in concert (if not all of them - the fewest number came in the mid 80's when they were focusing on the newer albums of that time, but even then they were still playing "Cold Gin," and "Black Diamond," at all their shows), and by 1990 a lot of those songs found their way BACK into the set list. Hell, on the recent European Tour (Alive 35) they played ALL of them!

Another thing, and I mentioned this briefly before, but the impact that Hotter Than Hell had on Grunge musicians hasn't been discussed much, although those musicians themselves certainly mentioned it here and there. "Goin' Blind," while heavily Beatles influenced (particularly their later, darker, more experimental stuff), also sounds a bit like a proto-Pearl Jam song. They've got a couple members who admitted early on to being KISS fans. As does STP (don't forget the show they did in KISS make-up), Soundgarded, as did Nirvana (don't forget that they covered, "Do You Love Me," on a KISS cover album - even if it was something of a lark). And the guitar tone for Hotter Than Hell, as crappy as it is, was a proto-Grunge guitar tone. I hear more than a little Soundgarden/Kim Thayil in that tone, or, perhaps it's better said that I hear more than a little Hotter Than Hell in Kim Thayil's guitar tone while with Soundgarden.

The point being that Hotter Than Hell, while not an initial sale super success, ended up being a very influential album - both on traditional Hard Rock and Heavy Metal bands, and on the Heavy Alternative/Grunge bands that started up 10-15 years later.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-09-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-09-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to post this for the first album, and since we're only on album #2 I figure I can point this out...

Over the years I've read several times that the idea for KISS was to be the, "Heavy Metal Beatles." (Heavy Metal at the time being anything from Black Sabbath to Deep Purple to Alice Cooper.)

The Beatles had John, Paul, George, and Ringo - you knew them all by their first names. KISS focused on Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter - you ended up knowing all of them by their first names.

And then there's the debut album cover - patterned after a rather famous first album...

No question that KISS was meant to evoke images of Meet The Beatles. The black background with the black clothing blending into said background making for a "heads only" shot. The configuration is a little different, but not a whole lot (3 up higher, 1 down lower).

When you look at all of that, plus the multiple members of KISS doing lead vocals - just like the Beatles - it becomes pretty clear who they were patterning themselves after. Musically, it was fairly similar with all the harmony vocals and strong melodies, but then they also threw in their Rolling Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Move, and Raspberries influences (among other groups).

KISS ended up sounding unique, but their influences can be heard. I just find it interesting to see what the original marketing strategy was, and to see just how well that strategy worked out!

Of course, with albums as strong as KISS and Hotter Than Hell to do the groundwork it would have been hard for KISS and company to screw it up!
Old 08-11-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it looks like we've pretty much agreed that Hotter Than Hell is a great album with lousy production, and I guess there isn't much more to say about it so....

...on to Dressed to Kill.

Released on March 19, 1975.

Track Listing

1. Room Service
2. Two Timer
3. Ladies in Waiting
4. Getaway
5. Rock Bottom

6. C'mon and Love Me
7. Anything for My Baby
8. She
9. Love Her All I Can
10. Rock and Roll All Nite

Lineup - Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, Peter Criss

Produced by Neil Bogart
Engineered by Dave Wittman*

After the production debacle of Hotter Than Hell Casablanca Records Owner/President Neil Bogart decided to do the job himself. The most notable result is a brighter album - both sonically and stylistically. The other notable result is an album with more filler than either of the two previous albums ("Two Timer," "Ladies in Waiting," and "Anything for My Baby," I'm looking right at you). Also brought to the album were two prior Wicked Lester songs cut for the never released WL album ("She" and "Love Her All I Can"). Both were rearranged a bit and toughened up.

And, of course, there was Bogart's coup de grace - suggesting that Paul and Gene should write a song that was a statement of what KISS was all about, an anthem. The last song written for the album was the last song on the album, and it ended up becoming the song that broke the band as a huge success. "Rock and Roll All Nite," was different from most of KISS' previous songs - gone were the Beatle-esque harmony vocals, and in their place was a gang chant, more or less. The KISS Army in the studio, so to speak.

Dressed to Kill was the most successful KISS album to that point. The album peaked at #32 on the Billboard top 200 album chart, and the initial release of "Rock and Roll All Nite" (the studio version) peaked at #68 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

And yet, to most fans today it is the least worthy of the first 3 studio albums. It's good - great in spots, but it just isn't held in as high regard as KISS or Hotter Than Hell.

*Note on Dave Wittman - He did a great job on DTK, and he would return as engineer for KISS on several of their 80's albums, including Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up, Animalize, and Asylum.

Last edited by B5Erik; 10-25-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock In Roll All Night is a song I hope I never hear again. I'm a huge Kiss fan but I am so sick of that song
Old 08-12-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Two Timer is a pretty damn fun song with a killer vibe. There's a dark sleaze to that to tune that hooks you in.

Room Service is forgettable, as are Ladies In Waiting, Getaway, and Anything For My Baby. Four songs that define the term "filler".

By the 2nd side of the album, the record really cooks. She and Love Her All I Can might be ransacked from the WICKED LESTER catalog, but both are great tunes. Rock Bottom and C'mon and Love Me are KISS classics, and deservedly so.

Rock and Roll All Nite... is its own beast, for better or worse. If I never heard the song again, I'd be insanely happy for the rest of my life. On the other hand, pour enough beer and shots into me and blast the tune, and see what happens.

Like it or not, it *IS* KISS's signature song. Blerg.

So 4 great songs, 1 wicked cool song, 1 overplayed KISS anthem that will be forever attached to the band, and 4 songs that represent little but filler swill. It still adds up to a good album that bats around 0.600, but not a great one and CERTAINLY not a classic one. Of the albums the comprise KISS's early period, it's definitely the least of the bunch.

But "DRESSED TO KILL" is an album I'll certainly revisit much more than, say, "Destroyer" or "Rock N Roll Over". Based on the number of memorable songs it contains (even outside of RaRAN), it's a cornerstone of the KISS music catalog. I also enjoy an occasional Abba song.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 12-24-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What corner was the photo taken at?
Old 08-12-08, 01:09 PM

I 've allways thought this album was a lot better than most gave it credit to.
C'mon and Love Me remains my fave Kiss song of all time not to mention classics She,Rock Bottom and RR All Nite.Yeah there is some definate filler here but I actually thought Room Service was very underated.
I like most am tired of hearing RR All Nite but is no dought one of the best rock anthems ever.
BTW-Dressed is my fave album cover they ever did.
After the first three Originals,I have ranked:
1.Debut
2.Dressed To Kill
3.Hotter Than Hell
Old 08-12-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hotter Than Hell is my favorite KISS studio album. I love every cut, no filler tunes as far as I'm concerned. I even like the production, it works for this album.
Old 08-12-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the sound was better with Dressed To Kill, song for song and overall, it's my least favorite of the initial trio of albums.

There's still some absolute classic KISS material to be found here..."Rock Bottom", "C'mon and Love Me" (which, being a Capricorn, always appealed to me), "She", "Love Her All I Can" (another song I consider very underrated) and of course, "Rock and Roll All Nite" (and despite what anyone else thinks, I rarely ever tire of hearing it.)

The rest, while I hesitate to call it 'filler', let's just say didn't really do as much for me. I remember my first copy of the album looked virtually mint on side one, from lack of playing most of those cuts - however, I nearly wore out side two.

Still, when you consider the fact that the first three albums were basically all released within one year's time (April '74 through April '75), that's still a pretty impressive feat. And one that can forgive not all the material being equally great.
Old 08-12-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always felt that "Love Her All I Can" should have been included in their live set back in '75, and if it had been included on Alive I honestly think it would be considered one of their, "Classic," songs.

For me it IS a classic song, and the live version from '04 (when they FINALLY played it live) just proved that I was right all along...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvlyYCV_iw8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvlyYCV_iw8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hell, the original version features my favorite Ace Frehley solo. It's just a perfect song.

And it's really interesting to compare the KISS version to the Wicked Lester version - the WL version sounds like the Doobie Brothers!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJ_6195Ib3k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJ_6195Ib3k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The WL version of "She" is also really interesting - it sounds more than a little like Jethro Tull (and with the flute on there I'm sure that was intentional). The KISS version sounds like something right in between KISS and Sabbath. It's a great song either way...
Old 08-13-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dressed to Kill has always been one of my least-favorite Kiss albums. I always found it to be a little too poppy and without the catchy hooks of the previous offerings. "She" is easily the standout track of the album. I still enjoy listening to it on occasion, but it's one of my least likely go-to records when I'm in an old school mood.
Old 08-13-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Dressed To Kill...great cover but extremely weak album. Definitely my least favorite Kiss "Make-up years" album. Yes, I would rather even listen to The Elder than this record.

The songs are so weak and bland that it just isn't an album of theirs I ever want to pick up and listen to often. The production is an obvious improvement but it doesn't help when the songs are this tough to listen to.

Room Service is cheesy and Two Timer has to be one of, if not the worst song written by Gene during the make-up years. The lyrics are lame, the chorus ain't catchy and the singing is bland. Just dreadful. Getaway, Anything For My Baby & Love Her All I Can are all very forgettable.

I am very surprised to see all the love for C'mon And Love Me. The lyrics are just plain out bad and seem to be written by a retarded elementary school student.

The first two lines: She's a dancer, a romancer
I'm a Capricorn and she's a Cancer

Ugh. But wait it gets much much worse...

I'm a man, I'm no baby
And you're lookin' every inch a lady
You're good lookin' and you're lookin' like you should be good
You were distant, now you're nearer
I can feel your face inside the mirror
The lights are out and I can feel you, baby, with my hand

God. I love KISS but Paul, this is the worst. Even with Gene joining in on the chorus does little help. The above just sticks out so much that it makes it hard for me to enjoy it as a "bad but good" song.

The only songs I feel worthy of being KISS Klassics is Rock Bottom, She and Rock And Roll All Nite (which I would tear my ears off and eat them than to hear R&RAN again). Great song when I was a kid but it is so overplayed that I can barely stomach it now. I really like Ladies In Waiting but I don't know if it could be considered a classic song.

Four (barely) songs out of 10 does not make a classic album no matter how cool the cover is. Listenable but not a favorite of mine.

Rating: *** out of *****
Old 08-13-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I am very surprised to see all the love for C'mon And Love Me. The lyrics are just plain out bad and seem to be written by a retarded elementary school student.

The first two lines: She's a dancer, a romancer
I'm a Capricorn and she's a Cancer

Ugh. But wait it gets much much worse...

I'm a man, I'm no baby
And you're lookin' every inch a lady
You're good lookin' and you're lookin' like you should be good
You were distant, now you're nearer
I can feel your face inside the mirror
The lights are out and I can feel you, baby, with my hand

God. I love KISS but Paul, this is the worst. Even with Gene joining in on the chorus does little help. The above just sticks out so much that it makes it hard for me to enjoy it as a "bad but good" song.
Different strokes, I suppose. The lyrics to this song are completely freakin' retarded, I'll give you that, but it adds to the plucky charm in my opinion. Plus its got some killer hooks. Harvey would agree.
Old 08-15-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always liked the lyrics for, "C'mon and Love Me." They're kind of like the lyrics to, "Deuce," in that it's not so much about what they say, as the vibe and feel they bring to the song. And I think there is a certain clever cuteness to them that makes them a perfect fit for the song.

They also remind me of the lyrics for, "Maybelline," stylistically. I have a feeling that's the type of thing that Paul was going for.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-15-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As it looks like the Dressed to Kill discussion has run it's course let's move on...

You wanted the best and you got it! The hottest band in the land - KISS!

Alive!

Released on September 10, 1975.

Track listing
Disc (Record) One:

1. Deuce
2. Strutter
3. Got to Choose
4. Hotter Than Hell
5. Firehouse

6. Nothin' to Lose
7. C'Mon and Love Me
8. Parasite
9. She

Disc (Record) Two

1. Watchin' You
2. 100,000 Years
3. Black Diamond

4. Rock Bottom
5. Cold Gin
6. Rock and Roll All Nite
7. Let Me Go, Rock and Roll

Produced and Engineered by Eddie Kramer

Considered by many to be the greatest live album of all time, Alive turned the fortunes of both KISS and Casablanca Records around. Neil Bogart expected to sell maybe 250,000 copies. Instead he sold 2,000,000 copies in just one year.

Taking most of the best songs from the first 3 studio albums and giving them a kick in the ass provided fresh perspective on some already great songs.

What a lot of people didn't know then was just how heavily overdubbed Alive was. Most of the vocals and guitar parts were re-recorded in the studio, and the drums had to be cleaned up in spots as well. But this wasn't really unusual, and many other "Live" albums have had extensive studio cleanup jobs done, particularly Thin Lizzy's equally great Live and Dangerous album. Just like Alive most of the guitars and vocals for that one were re-recorded in the studio to clean up parts that were messed up live by moving around the stage and occasionally turning away from the microphones when singing.

But the bottom line is that both albums sounded just like the bands did live. Both albums were GREAT live albums - yardsticks by which all live albums would be measured for the next two or three decades.
Old 08-16-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strutter....................................................................................Parasite
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jOTkvKtuaOY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jOTkvKtuaOY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rtstot-4L2c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rtstot-4L2c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hotter Than Hell..........................................................................Firehouse
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8bJi-_YTg8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8bJi-_YTg8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlv4olVnGpA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlv4olVnGpA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 08-17-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So am I going to have the only word on ALIVE??

(Or were you all out of town and not online this weekend? )
Old 08-18-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I was at a concert that supposed to have been recorded for Alive in the summer of '75. Don't know if it was used. Are the details of each song known and are any from Davenport, Iowa?
Old 08-18-08, 10:56 AM

What else can you really say about this album other than it is a complete master piece.It really is one of the best live albums of alltime.There is not one bad song on this baby and set the bar for 70's hard rock.Even after 30+ years,the opener Duece gives me goose bumps.A classic 5 star album!
Old 08-18-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Leather Face
What else can you really say about this album other than it is a complete master piece.It really is one of the best live albums of alltime.There is not one bad song on this baby and set the bar for 70's hard rock.Even after 30+ years,the opener Duece gives me goose bumps.A classic 5 star album!
Exactly my feelings. It's hard to even critique because there really isn't anything bad about the entire album. Every song sounds great here whether you like the original version or not. Actually, after you listen to Alive, it makes the original studio versions sound like they are slower than a car stuck in the mud.

The history of it is what always interested me. A group that has 3 floundering albums is allowed to release a double length LIVE album and soon becomes one of the best known bands in the world. It's truly amazing and I find it hard to believe you would ever see the same situation happen today.

***** out of *****
Old 08-18-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Leather Face
Yeah, that pretty much covers it. I just remember a lot of days with my brother and our friends pretending to be KISS and "Air-banding" to this album. (I was usually either Ace, or Gene, depending on who else was around, and my bro was always Peter - his name as well). This was the record that made me want to learn guitar and be in a band.
Old 08-19-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before Alive the live double album was fairly rare, after Alive the live double album became a required release for most Hard Rock bands (and several mainstream rock bands).

Hell, Peter Frampton totally followed the KISS formula for success - KISS ALIVE, Frampton COMES Alive, Eddie Kramer produced and engineered both. KISS ALIVE - 1975; Frampton Comes Alive - 1976.

ALIVE was just a massive album. I remember when I got it in 1977 no other live album was considered to be even close.

The one flaw that I still find with ALIVE, though, is Peter Criss' extended drum solo. It's more than a bit repetitive and boring. Other than that, it's a perfect album.
Old 08-19-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So when do you get to the recap of the Paul Stanley Stage-Banter CD? "People, let me get this off my chest..." Which may, just may, be the best Kiss album ever. I mean, who can forget classic lines such as "I don't know if I should say this...because we got a lot of law here tonight, but...I'm packin. my...six-shooter of sexxxxx...are you ready for love gun?"
Old 08-20-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like the other KISS thread has sucked some of the life out of this one, so let's try to get back on track with a hotter topic for debate - the merits of....

DESTROYER

Released on March 15, 1976.

Track Listing

1. Detroit Rock City
2. King of the Night Time World
3. God of Thunder
4. Great Expectations

5. Flaming Youth
6. Sweet Pain
7. Shout it Out Loud
8. Beth
9. Do You Love Me?

Produced by Bob Ezrin, Engineered by Jay Jessina and Corky Stasiak.

This is the one that the casual fans point to as KISS' best studio album, but it's also an album that a lot of the hard core fans point to as one of their more overrated studio albums.

The production is slicker and more sophisticated than any of the three prior studio albums (or the two that followed), but that came at the cost of the power of the album - the guitar tone is blander and has less bite, and the guitars are lower in the mix than on any other pre-solo album studio recording for KISS.

There are some absolute KISS classics here - "Detroit Rock City," "King of the Night Time World," "God of Thunder," "Shout it out Loud," and, for better or worse, "Beth."

For my money, Destroyer is the weakest of their pre-solo album releases, but an immensly important album for KISS as it broke them through to an even wider audience than Alive did. Whether or not having such a broad (sometimes non-hard rock fan) audience was a good thing is debatable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.