Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: "Under a Blood Red Sky" CD+DVD Deluxe Edition -9/23/08

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-20-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 94 Posts

Before U2's new album arrives in October, fans will have another vintage reissue to enjoy. The band's classic 1983 live album "Under a Blood Red Sky" will appear Sept. 23 via Universal as both a single CD and a CD/DVD set. Extra content has not yet been specified.

The original CD was recorded in St. Goarshausen, Germany, Boston and Morrison, Colo., while the home video includes just the latter gig at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Footage from Red Rocks was an early MTV favorite, helping break U2 in the United States.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 07-20-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this I definately plan to get. Any idea if they're going to expand Wide Awake In America with more tracks and a DVD from the Unforgettable Fire tour?
Old 07-20-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
this I definately plan to get. Any idea if they're going to expand Wide Awake In America with more tracks and a DVD from the Unforgettable Fire tour?
my guess is the WAIA would be included as the expanded part of the Deluxe Edition of TUF
Old 07-21-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
From the other thread...(Looks like the DVD will be the complete show)

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Anyways...

from http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...25747F0050BC0D

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 171m 12s.

01:21:23:16 (MINUTES?) U2 - LIVE AT RED ROCKS - "UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY" (FEATURE)
01:21:23:16 (MINUTES?) U2 - LIVE AT RED ROCKS - "UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY" (FEATURE WITH COMMENTARY)
00:08:25:09 UNTITLED (FEATURETTE)
Old 07-21-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,277 Likes on 2,185 Posts
How long has it been since U2 released anything without a separate, more expensive deluxe version. It's getting to be expensive to be a fan of this group.
Old 07-21-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah these prices are shitty. At least with the deluxe cds, the first-week price is somewhat doable. But the 2-disc editions of Boy/October/War are regularly $35, which is a fucking joke. The single disc version of these re-issues are only $12, which means they are charging $23 for the bonus discs which, while interesting, are definitely a mixed bag as far as quality goes. And this is already $5 more than the Joshua Tree 2-disc was when it was released just a few months ago. So in less than a year their price has gone up 17%.

Compare to similar re-issue campaigns by Elvis Costello whose 2-disc sets were only $17 and The Cure, whose 2-disc sets were only $25 at their highest.
Old 07-21-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah these prices are shitty. At least with the deluxe cds, the first-week price is somewhat doable. But the 2-disc editions of Boy/October/War are regularly $35, which is a fucking joke. The single disc version of these re-issues are only $12, which means they are charging $23 for the bonus discs which, while interesting, are definitely a mixed bag as far as quality goes. And this is already $5 more than the Joshua Tree 2-disc was when it was released just a few months ago. So in less than a year their price has gone up 17%.

Compare to similar re-issue campaigns by Elvis Costello whose 2-disc sets were only $17 and The Cure, whose 2-disc sets were only $25 at their highest.
The 2 disc versions area available this week at BB for $19.99
Old 07-21-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 2 disc versions area available this week at BB for $19.99
As alluded to in the first line of my post.
Old 07-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As alluded to in the first line of my post.
Still, Chris has a good point. It's like complaining about the MSRP of Criterion DVDs when they can readily be had for a lot less. No one pays MSRP. Street price is what counts. In addition to Best Buy's sale price, all three of these releases are readily available online for $19.99.

Originally Posted by Decker
How long has it been since U2 released anything without a separate, more expensive deluxe version. It's getting to be expensive to be a fan of this group.
I also don't get the complaints about being given a choice. You can get the basic, remastered CDs for $12, or the deluxe for $20. Where's the downside in that?
Old 07-21-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Still, Chris has a good point. It's like complaining about the MSRP of Criterion DVDs when they can readily be had for a lot less. No one pays MSRP. Street price is what counts. In addition to Best Buy's sale price, all three of these releases are readily available online for $19.99.
Yes, but if they had a decent MSRP, the sales, or street, price would perhaps be $15, not $20. Yes, they can be had for a decent price this week, but the point is that their shit is still priced higher than all other similar releases. I still can't believe these are $5 more than a similar package from U2 that was released just a few months ago.
Old 07-21-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also don't get the complaints about being given a choice. You can get the basic, remastered CDs for $12, or the deluxe for $20. Where's the downside in that?
I think he was talking about Under A Blood Red Sky. The original post indicates it will be available either as a cd or a cd/dvd combo. If that info is correct, the only way to get the dvd is to buy the combo.
Old 07-21-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least I give U2 props for releasing deluxe editions instead of one crap edition that is supposed to suffice, therefore the fans who want more get more, and those who just want the Zoo TV tour without frills can get that. Even tho I'm not a diehard U2 fans, I sprung for the deluxe editions for Zoo and PopMart just because they're nicer to have IMO
Old 07-21-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,277 Likes on 2,185 Posts

It's like this: Just for an example, John Mayer recently released a single concert DVD (or Blu Ray), it had some special features and was on sale everywhere for a good price. When Pink Floyd released Pulse or when Live 8 was released (as another example), they came out in multi-disc sets that were on decent sale price at most large retail chains. But when U2 releases a single, bare-bones DVD AND a deluxe version, the single-disc version can be had very cheaply and the deluxe version is usually insanely expensive and not marked down at all. I like my extra features, but having to pay an extra $12-20 for them is just uncalled for. When U218SINGLES came out it came in a bare-bones CD with exactly 2 tracks that I didn't already have multiple times over or in a deluxe version with a concert DVD I was very interested in but at a much higher price point. Compare that to the Dave Matthews Band who released their Greatest Hits collection with a bonus live disc at no additional charge. You may think U2 is providing a fan service, but I call it gorging the fans.
Old 07-21-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
It's like this: Just for an example, John Mayer recently released a single concert DVD (or Blu Ray), it had some special features and was on sale everywhere for a good price. When Pink Floyd released Pulse or when Live 8 was released (as another example), they came out in multi-disc sets that were on decent sale price at most large retail chains. But when U2 releases a single, bare-bones DVD AND a deluxe version, the single-disc version can be had very cheaply and the deluxe version is usually insanely expensive and not marked down at all. I like my extra features, but having to pay an extra $12-20 for them is just uncalled for. When U218SINGLES came out it came in a bare-bones CD with exactly 2 tracks that I didn't already have multiple times over or in a deluxe version with a concert DVD I was very interested in but at a much higher price point. Compare that to the Dave Matthews Band who released their Greatest Hits collection with a bonus live disc at no additional charge. You may think U2 is providing a fan service, but I call it gorging the fans.

this mentallity has been going on a lot with movies in the past few years as well, there'll be a nice 2-disc loaded edition, and a cheaper bare-bones edition. And guess which one always goes on sale cheap?
Old 07-21-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shop around the first week and you don't get hosed. That's the way it is a lot of the time with some artists / labels...(I think I paid less than $20 for the U218 combo...)
Old 07-21-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shop around the first week and you don't get hosed. That's the way it is a lot of the time with some artists / labels...(I think I paid less than $20 for the U218 combo...)
Ditto. With reissues, unless there is something really unique that grabs me at the outset, I just hunt the usual online places for used deals. I think I only bought one the Cure reissues new. All the rest were picked up used for less than $15 each. U218 was the same way. I think I scored a deal on the deluxe set for around $14 about two weeks after the release date.
Old 07-22-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked these up at best Buy on my way to work today. I've only made it through the first disc of "Boy," but I'm pretty impressed so far. I like the packaging, especially the lengthy booklets. I don't like the sleeves for the discs, though. I always worry about scratching discs with these types of sleeves.

One thing though: The Best Buy near me only had "War" out on the shelves. Even at 3:30 in the afternoon they hadn't yet put the others out on the floor. Somebody had to go looking for them.
Old 07-23-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked these up at best Buy on my way to work today. I've only made it through the first disc of "Boy," but I'm pretty impressed so far. I like the packaging, especially the lengthy booklets. I don't like the sleeves for the discs, though. I always worry about scratching discs with these types of sleeves.

One thing though: The Best Buy near me only had "War" out on the shelves. Even at 3:30 in the afternoon they hadn't yet put the others out on the floor. Somebody had to go looking for them.
There is a thread on the Boy/October/War remasters...Maybe we should just start a "One and Only U2 Reissues Thread"...

Mods can you merge these threads with this one??
U2: "Boy", "October" and "War" remastered expanded editions -7/22/08

U2: Joshua Tree (20th Anniversary) -11/20/07

anyone have specs for the upcoming U2 At Red Rocks DVD?

And re-title it? "One and Only U2 Reissues Thread"

Last edited by Chrisedge; 07-23-08 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-23-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a thread on the Boy/October/War remasters.
You are, of course, correct. And I thought I was posting in that thread since it's the U2 thread that's been hovering on the front page for so long.

That'll teach me to actually read thread titles before I post!
Old 07-26-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Finally.
I've been waiting for this for a LONG time...
Old 07-27-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

according to Amazon, you can get the DVD separately if you don't want the CD
Old 08-12-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 94 Posts
Also today, U2.com has just officially announced that the U2: Live at Red Rocks - Under a Blood Red Sky concert will finally be released on DVD on 9/29 (SRP $19.98). The concert had previously only been available on VHS. The disc will include 5 previously unreleased songs, a director's commentary, digitally re-graded video and a new Dolby Digital 5.1 audio mix. The songs included in the performance are Out of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Cry/The Electric Co., October, New Year's Day, I Threw a Brick Through a Window, A Day Without Me, Gloria, Party Girl, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow and "40". A remastered, single-disc audio CD version of the album U2: Live - Under a Blood Red Sky will also be available on 9/29 (SRP $13.98), along with a vinyl LP version of the same (SRP $19.98). You'll also be able to purchase the CD and DVD together in a deluxe 2-disc package (SRP $34.99).

THEDIGITALBITS.com
Old 08-13-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have they announced the tracklisting for the cd? If it's not the complete show, then what is the point?
Old 08-13-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Also today, U2.com has just officially announced that the U2: Live at Red Rocks - Under a Blood Red Sky concert will finally be released on DVD on 9/29 (SRP $19.98). The concert had previously only been available on VHS.
I own this on Laserdisc.
Old 08-13-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like it's still missing one song (I Fall Down) but is more complete than any previous version released as well. (VHS or Laserdisc)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.