Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: "Under a Blood Red Sky" CD+DVD Deluxe Edition -9/23/08

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2: "Under a Blood Red Sky" CD+DVD Deluxe Edition -9/23/08

Old 08-13-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Have they announced the tracklisting for the cd? If it's not the complete show, then what is the point?
The CD wasn't just tracks from the Red Rocks show -- it was a mix of tracks from various sources (Boston, Red Rocks & Germany, according to the first post here). I'm hoping for an expanded edition, but NOT just the complete Red Rocks show...
Old 08-13-08, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping it at least has Bad. I love that song.
Old 08-13-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Vespertillio
I'm hoping it at least has Bad. I love that song.
I'm pretty sure that's not gonna be on there.
Old 08-14-08, 04:10 AM

I wonder if the "America" snippet during Electric Co. is still edited out.
Old 08-14-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cerulean
I wonder if the "America" snippet during Electric Co. is still edited out.
+1

That "America"/"Send In The Clowns" passage was one of my favourite parts of the first release of the album I had.
Old 08-26-08, 12:17 AM

Now if they'd only come back and play Red Rocks!
Old 09-29-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Reminder this hits stores tomorrow...Best Buy has deluxe version for $24.99
Old 09-30-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Anyone pick it up yet? I'm thinking of just getting the DVD and not the remastered CD...
Old 09-30-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only got the dvd. The cd has no extra content so it is pointless.
Old 09-30-08, 02:47 PM

Remastered CD? try re-edited.

Yup, "The Electric Co." was re-edited. "Send in the clowns" still doesn't appear in this edition, and to top it off, the lines that were in the previous edition ("i need a crowd...") are ripped out. if you listen really close, you can hear the obvious edit. I have the disc in my car at the moment so i can't post the time & track # ATM.

the deluxe packaging is good, but if you just want the DVD, it's sold separately.
Old 09-30-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DLogic View Post
Yup, "The Electric Co." was re-edited. "Send in the clowns" still doesn't appear in this edition, and to top it off, the lines that were in the previous edition ("i need a crowd...") are ripped out.
Is that true of both the dvd and cd, or just the cd?
Old 09-30-08, 03:07 PM

yep... after a quick jump to that track, its been taken out as well on DVD. It sounds like Edge is going into the solo (around 40:45-40:55) that comes just before it and makes it sound like Bono came in too early and cuts into the chorus again following the solo. good thing i still have my original VHS of this.

btw, the "Send in the clowns" verse is on Euro pressings of the CD as well as the early vinyl editions for those looking for a complete edit.
Old 09-30-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that the old cassette I had as a kid had the "clowns" on it.

Why exactly is it edited out? I assume they could pay for the licensing and include it.
Old 09-30-08, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Why exactly is it edited out? I assume they could pay for the licensing and include it.
my thoughts exactly. its seems ridiculous that with all the money they've earned over the years, as well as record companies buying out other record companies, they'd pitch in for a licensing fee.

i gotta say the DTS stream on the DVD is excellent though...
Old 09-30-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Wikipedia:

During the recording of "The Electric Co.", Bono included a 27 second snippet of Stephen Sondheim's "Send In The Clowns". When the "Under A Blood Red Sky" LP was released, U2 failed to get permission and pay the appropriate licensing and royalty fees to include that piece of Sondheim's tune on the album. When Sondheim objected, U2 agreed to pay a $50,000 (US) penalty for the unauthorized use and to press all future releases with a new version that did not include the 27 seconds of "Send In The Clowns."

Maybe they are willing to pay and this guy isn't allowing the use. If so, he is a dick.
Old 09-30-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Wikipedia:

During the recording of "The Electric Co.", Bono included a 27 second snippet of Stephen Sondheim's "Send In The Clowns". When the "Under A Blood Red Sky" LP was released, U2 failed to get permission and pay the appropriate licensing and royalty fees to include that piece of Sondheim's tune on the album. When Sondheim objected, U2 agreed to pay a $50,000 (US) penalty for the unauthorized use and to press all future releases with a new version that did not include the 27 seconds of "Send In The Clowns."

Maybe they are willing to pay and this guy isn't allowing the use. If so, he is a dick.
thanks for this update.

that's disappointing, but i'm really excited to have the remastered CD & dvd together for $20.00
Old 09-30-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DLogic View Post
btw, the "Send in the clowns" verse is on Euro pressings of the CD as well as the early vinyl editions for those looking for a complete edit.

...of this CD re-issue, or do you mean older versions of the CD & LP?
Old 10-01-08, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen View Post
...of this CD re-issue, or do you mean older versions of the CD & LP?
older CD & LP versions. check the wikipedia page. it also has a link to a U2Wanderer.org page that has the matrix #'s of those CD's
Old 10-01-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the dvd last night. It had been years as I sold my VHS a long time ago. Good stuff. I had forgotten the girl pumping her fist as he was dancing with her and the joker who, near the end, tried to grap the mic and Bono and kept looking at the camera.

It is interesting that The Edge still pretty much moves the same on stage, but Bono used to always do that march/hop/skip thing, which he doesn't do any more.

I love the way it was filmed. No quick cuts and the colors are great, not too bright or dark.
Old 10-01-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I watched the dvd last night. It had been years as I sold my VHS a long time ago. Good stuff. I had forgotten the girl pumping her fist as he was dancing with her and the joker who, near the end, tried to grap the mic and Bono and kept looking at the camera.

It is interesting that The Edge still pretty much moves the same on stage, but Bono used to always do that march/hop/skip thing, which he doesn't do any more.

I love the way it was filmed. No quick cuts and the colors are great, not too bright or dark.
I agree with most all of this, as I'd forgotten some of the highlights as well. The only thing I didn't really remember was how much of the shooting is from the cameraman down below the stage, so much of the camera angles seem to be right at Bono's crotch. Didn't really recall that...

The sound is awesome and the picture about what I expected--very glad to have this one at last.
Old 10-01-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Wikipedia:

Well, given the fact that they cut two cover versions from the Paris concert included in the The Joshua Tree set, I think evidence points to U2 being a bunch of tight-fisted bastards at this point...
Old 10-01-08, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes View Post
Well, given the fact that they cut two cover versions from the Paris concert included in the The Joshua Tree set, I think evidence points to U2 being a bunch of tight-fisted bastards at this point...
Well, there's cutting two complete songs because of rights, then there's editing a part of a song out that was originally available on other official releases. its like making a single edit of "Stairway to Heaven": just doesn't have the same effect...
Old 10-01-08, 03:13 PM

yet another edit to the DVD

I've got a bootleg CD of the whole Red Rocks show and i just noticed that they've also cut out the "Let's Twist Again" (Chubby Checker) part during "Two Hearts Beat As One"
Old 10-01-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a boot of it also. Great quality. I'm wondering why that wasn't included as part of the Under A Blood Red Sky deluxe edition. Should have been the second disc.

Also, anyone know why I Fall Down wasn't included on the new dvd?
Old 10-01-08, 03:21 PM

the deluxe edition booklet says that one of the cameras had failed during filming and was lost forever. the director (the commentary that im listening to right now) sounds pretty close to a couple of the cameramen and probably didn't want to use the other shots that were filmed because they were inferior.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.