Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whos CD? KT vs Duffy vs Leona vs Adele

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: And The Unanimous Decision Goes To???
KT's Eye to the Telescope
22.22%
Duffy's Rockferry
33.33%
Leona's Spirit
5.56%
Adele's 19
5.56%
Other i.e. Amy Winohouse or someone else
33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Whos CD? KT vs Duffy vs Leona vs Adele

Old 06-21-08, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whose CD? KT vs Duffy vs Leona vs Adele

I'm sampling their albums right now and I'm hoping to put atleast one in my amazon order. I may get all of them if I like them enough but that is doubtful. Which UK supastar would you support if you HAD to choose one.

Last edited by civiclx; 06-21-08 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still partial to Winehouse over any of the others because a) I think she's substantially more talented than the rest, and b) I don't have a problem separating her career from her personal issues. If you've already got Back to Black, you might pick up Frank, which was reissued recently with some extra material.

Of the new(ish)comers, I think Adele's album is the most appealing; there's a very nice blend of styles and they wisely didn't overwhelm it with Ronson's production -- it would've made things entirely too "samey" to Winehouse's music having him work on all the tracks.

Duffy's kind of annoying to me (honestly, for reasons unknown... She just is!) and I thought Leona's album was terrible. KT Tunstall doesn't really fit with the other choices, and she's quickly dissolved into bland, forgettable radio pop anyway.

If you don't mind me adding a non-UK option into the mix, Nicole Atkins' Neptune City is phenominal and really captures the feel of '50s and '60s girl groups - outstanding vocals, swelling strings, backing singers and all - transported into modern times.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 06-21-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would pick a different British starlet, who came on to the scene last year, over any of the above -- Lily Allen.

With that said, I do have the Amy Winehouse album, and I like it. (Back in Black, that is. I don't have Frank.) However, the Lily Allen album just does it for me. "LDN" is also a perfect summer song.

EDIT: So I chose "other."
Old 06-21-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KT Tunstall
Old 06-21-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
I would pick a different British starlet, who came on to the scene last year, over any of the above -- Lily Allen.

With that said, I do have the Amy Winehouse album, and I like it. (Back in Black, that is. I don't have Frank.) However, the Lily Allen album just does it for me. "LDN" is also a perfect summer song.
Agreed. Her combination of sarcastic lyrics and sweet melodies works perfectly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wQB3AptIOHc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wQB3AptIOHc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

She's hilarious in live performances.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uf-JwYeFQWU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uf-JwYeFQWU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And she doesn't take herself seriously at all.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDo5a5B71hw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDo5a5B71hw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-21-08, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
If you don't mind me adding a non-UK option into the mix, Nicole Atkins' Neptune City is phenominal and really captures the feel of '50s and '60s girl groups - outstanding vocals, swelling strings, backing singers and all - transported into modern times.

I just saw her at Bonnaroo and loved her. Listened to the album many times over the past three weeks.
Old 06-21-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although she is a hideous human being, I think Winehouse is much more of a musical virtuoso than the others, but everyone mentioned (other than Leona Lewis, who I feel is too manufactured) is good. I'm a big fan of the Nicole Atkins Neptune City album as well...
Old 06-21-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Agreed. Her combination of sarcastic lyrics and sweet melodies works perfectly.

<video clip>

She's hilarious in live performances.

<video clip>

And she doesn't take herself seriously at all.

<video clip>
I agree, and that's what I like about her.

I also think civiclx, if he ends up diggin Lily Allen, and yourself too perhaps, might like Kate Nash.

I like her just as much. (And I find her more attractive.)

Here's the video for "Foundations," the first single off her album:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/orACIBjHuI4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/orACIBjHuI4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And here's a video for "Merry Happy." I don't think there's an official video for it out there, but if you go to youtube you'll fine a lot of fan-made videos and live performances for the song. This one is pretty neat. I like how they're all packed in tightly at what appears to be a small record store.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kL8A1EuYqBw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kL8A1EuYqBw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 06-21-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KT by far, she is the most conventional IMO

Amy is all hype, she doesn't work as either a pop or r&b singer IMO, and I think the neo-60's Motown sound wears out its welcome very fast, plus she glorifies being a junkie
Old 06-21-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
KT by far, she is the most conventional IMO
What does conventionality have to do with quality?

plus she glorifies being a junkie
So did the Velvet Underground. That has nothing to do with the musical abilities.
Old 06-21-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What does conventionality have to do with quality?
KT made it off talent, songs like Suddenly I See and Black Horse And The Cherry Tree were good songs that weren't trying to be groundbreaking. With Amy Winehouse, it's a case of "wow, she's so different and cool" and people like her for that reason alone, KT is more along the lines of someone like Sheryl Crow who sustained a long career because she did a damn good job at the music she made, and not because she was hyped on how different she was than anyone else.

I am all for new things, but I think Amy Winehouse is just another Macy Gray type who is so heralded today for being something different, and in three years will be dropped by her label because her album sales are so poor. Remember how hip it was to like Macy in 2000?
Old 06-21-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Winehouse probably is overhyped, but saying that Tunstall's better because she's conventional is silly.
Old 06-21-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, I like KT's music better, if that makes me silly, so be it. I've tried to get into Amy, she just doesn't appeal to me and I think her popularity is more hype than anything.
Old 06-22-08, 07:01 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
. . . Amy is all hype, she doesn't work as either a pop or r&b singer IMO, and I think the neo-60's Motown sound wears out its welcome very fast, plus she glorifies being a junkie
Completely disagree. Back To Black is one of the most unique albums in years and I have yet to tire of it. Junkie or not, Amy is pure genius.

I'm taking Duffy a distant second . . . love her sound as well.
Old 06-22-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget Joss Stone- though I thought her latest album was a disappointment compared to her first two.

I always enjoyed Lily Allen over Amy Winehouse, and haven't brought myself to listen to Back to Black since Amy's downward spiral.

I've enjoyed all 3 of KT Tunstall's releases so far and the DVD that came with the acoustic album did a lot to cement me as a fan of hers. I love Kate Nash's album too, thankfully I'm not the first to have to mention her.

I haven't digested Duffy's CD much yet, though I like her voice. And Adele's CD I just ordered online yesterday, a few hours before running across this thread so no comments on that one yet. Whenever I see people mention Leona, I always get excited for a brief second and think they mean Leona Naess who I really enjoy, especially her "I Tried to Rock You, But You Only Roll" album. I've got no interest in the other Leona.

I've been on the fence about Nicole Atkins' Neptune City, but thanks to this thread I think I'll be picking it up soon.

I'm a huge fan of Katie Melua who's Russian born but immigrated to England and has 3 great albums of more romantic, jazz oriented pop.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DTy3WA0Pq8M&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DTy3WA0Pq8M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And don't forget the force of nature that is The Pipettes.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnF5Yqszy8w&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnF5Yqszy8w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-22-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KT made it off talent, songs like Suddenly I See and Black Horse And The Cherry Tree were good songs that weren't trying to be groundbreaking. With Amy Winehouse, it's a case of "wow, she's so different and cool" and people like her for that reason alone, KT is more along the lines of someone like Sheryl Crow who sustained a long career because she did a damn good job at the music she made, and not because she was hyped on how different she was than anyone else.

I am all for new things, but I think Amy Winehouse is just another Macy Gray type who is so heralded today for being something different, and in three years will be dropped by her label because her album sales are so poor. Remember how hip it was to like Macy in 2000?

I'll agree with most of that, especially the last paragraph. I think that pretty much sums up this whole batch of retro sounding ladies (KT excluded) - most of which, upon hearing their albums, I personally found to be complete snooze-fests. True, there's a catchy little ditty here or there, but not enough to sustain wanting to listen to a whole album.

I may be proven wrong, but in 3 or so years, I seriously doubt anyone's going to really care all that much about Amy Winehouse and the like anymore. What makes them trendy now, is exactly what's going to work against them in the future.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd go with Tunstall, because years down the road, I'll probably still feel like giving it a spin.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-22-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-22-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I'll agree with most of that, especially the last paragraph. I think that pretty much sums up this whole batch of retro sounding ladies (KT excluded) - most of which, upon hearing their albums, I personally found to be complete snooze-fests. True, there's a catchy little ditty here or there, but not enough to sustain wanting to listen to a whole album.

I may be proven wrong, but in 3 or so years, I seriously doubt anyone's going to really care all that much about Amy Winehouse and the like anymore. What makes them trendy now, is exactly what's going to work against them in the future.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd go with Tunstall, because years down the road, I'll probably still feel like giving it a spin.
thank you, I thought I was the only person who thinks that way about Amy. Maybe she does have talent, but hype fades, talent doesn't. Maybe she will shock us all and release something totally different with her next effort and sustain a long career, but if her next album is another Back To Black, her days will be numbered and she'll be another artist affected by the Best New Artist curse
Old 06-22-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thank you, I thought I was the only person who thinks that way about Amy. Maybe she does have talent, but hype fades, talent doesn't. Maybe she will shock us all and release something totally different with her next effort and sustain a long career, but if her next album is another Back To Black, her days will be numbered and she'll be another artist affected by the Best New Artist curse
There'll be people who'll hate her next album no matter what, because it's always cool to hate something that's popular, regardless of whether it's any good.

Look at Alanis Morissette -- if her second album had been another "Jagged Little Pills" people would've complained she's a one-note angry chick. Instead she went in a completely different direction ... and people complained that it wasn't another "Jagged Little Pills".

If you don't like Winehouse's music, fine, but criticize it on the merits, not whether she's a druggie, or overhyped, or unconventional.
Old 06-22-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There'll be people who'll hate her next album no matter what, because it's always cool to hate something that's popular, regardless of whether it's any good.

Look at Alanis Morissette -- if her second album had been another "Jagged Little Pills" people would've complained she's a one-note angry chick. Instead she went in a completely different direction ... and people complained that it wasn't another "Jagged Little Pills".

If you don't like Winehouse's music, fine, but criticize it on the merits, not whether she's a druggie, or overhyped, or unconventional.
That's exactly what I was criticizing it on. I don't care about her personal life, I just find the music...well, nothing all that special. I find it retro shtick, and not at all original. I'm also not saying she doesn't have talent, either. It's just her music is nothing I care for. If you like here, more power to you - I just don't get all the fuss about her. I hear it and go - "People are excited about this?".

And with Alanis, Jagged Little Pill, since you don't seem to know this, was her 3rd album. The first 2 were Debbie Gibson/Tiffany-esque like dance pop (and only released in her native Canada). So she was actually already changing her sound with Jagged Little Pill, and that's what got her noticed. Once she had her foot in the door with massive success, she was free to do whatever she felt like.

Now as nothingfails says, and Winehouse does something extraordinary with her next album, then I'll eat my words and admit I was mistaken. But if it's more of the same thing she's doing now, I'm gonna care even less, and I think many others will, too. And no, I never checked out Frank, as I found nothing on Back To Black to give me reason enough to investigate her further.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-22-08 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-22-08, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I'm still partial to Winehouse over any of the others because a) I think she's substantially more talented than the rest, and b) I don't have a problem separating her career from her personal issues. If you've already got Back to Black, you might pick up Frank, which was reissued recently with some extra material.

Of the new(ish)comers, I think Adele's album is the most appealing; there's a very nice blend of styles and they wisely didn't overwhelm it with Ronson's production -- it would've made things entirely too "samey" to Winehouse's music having him work on all the tracks.

Duffy's kind of annoying to me (honestly, for reasons unknown... She just is!) and I thought Leona's album was terrible. KT Tunstall doesn't really fit with the other choices, and she's quickly dissolved into bland, forgettable radio pop anyway.

I have to concur on the Nicole Atkins recommendation. Thats a lovely disc. Plus I was born in Neptune City.
Old 06-22-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duffy. I love Lily Allen to, but of the choices, Duffy's album by a mile.
Old 06-22-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
And with Alanis, Jagged Little Pill, since you don't seem to know this, was her 3rd album. The first 2 were Debbie Gibson/Tiffany-esque like dance pop (and only released in her native Canada).
Yes, I know that, but it was her first album released in real countries, and the first anyone bothered to listen to.
Old 06-22-08, 05:03 PM

well thanks for all of the suggestions and mentioning some new artists. I've decided that I'm going to go with Duffy and KT for now. Leona is pretty much out of the question. I never really considered Amy but I may give it a listen just for the heck of it.

They're not from the UK but have you guys heard of Sarah Blasko or A Fine Frenzy? I had never heard of them until I was checking out Sarah McLachlan's biography on Itunes and they were listed as followers. Anyone like them at all?
Old 06-22-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by civiclx
well thanks for all of the suggestions and mentioning some new artists. I've decided that I'm going to go with Duffy and KT for now. Leona is pretty much out of the question. I never really considered Amy but I may give it a listen just for the heck of it.

They're not from the UK but have you guys heard of Sarah Blasko or A Fine Frenzy? I had never heard of them until I was checking out Sarah McLachlan's biography on Itunes and they were listed as followers. Anyone like them at all?
Just my opinion, of course, but you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't pick up the cd from A Fine Frenzy. Just an amazing cd.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/INNmIBs8Ioc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHQGLxHqH_g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed>
Old 06-22-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I made it pretty clear in my first post that I don't like Amy Winehouse's music because I personally think it sucks and has no appeal to me

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.