Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Dipper Play NY & Boston This weekend!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the last minute notice, but Boston Indie faves Big Dipper will be reuniting for a few shows in support of their recently released compilation:

http://www.amazon.com/Supercluster-B.../dp/B0012IWHT6

a steal at 14 bucks, IMHO.

I think there are only two left:

April, 25 2008 09:00 PM - Southpaw , Brooklyn, NY
April, 26 2008 09:00 PM - The Middle East , Cambridge, Mass
Old 04-25-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw these guys open up for Camper van Beethoven in about 1987 (hows that for an 80s college rock show). One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Big Dipper is one of the more overlooked indie acts of the eighties. Their debut, Heavens, is one of the defining indie power pop albums. Their second album was pretty much destroyed by their (major) label... They undoubtedly inspired Weezer and their ilk (Rivers Cuomo also stole Bill Goffrier's look).

It's great that their long OOP stuff is getting a first class release and that they're back touring. With his impeccable Embarrassment/Big Dipper past, Goffrier is an unsung hero, IMO.

Now, how about a revitalization of The Feelies?

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-25-08 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Now, how about a revitalization of The Feelies?
One at a time! Actually, nix that. Quit making my little fave bands come back and be popular. JK . Well, not that the Feelies were that little.

Nice post tdirgins. This is a show I'd love to attend if not for a little geographic problem. I saw them live in '89 in Lawrence, Kansas and had a blast. No doubt Heavens and the Boo Boo EP are top drawer 80's college rock. Still sounds wonderful after all these years.

Hiro, what do you mean by their 2nd album being destroyed by a major? Thought their 2nd was Craps on Homestead? Their 3rd album was definitely a huge disappointment, but there are two songs from it that I still like.