Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza 2008 Lineup

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lollapalooza 2008 Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Aside from NIN there really isn't anyone I'm dying to see. And the inclusion of Kanye is enough to keep me far, far away.
To me, the great thing about this lineup is that the big bands aren't ones I really want to see (beside Radiohead). I could eat up the smaller/medium bands and not give a toss about missing the main stage. Or at least go to bed earlier! But, since Perry won't take this on the road anymore, it's just wishful thinking.
Old 06-19-08, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Aside from NIN there really isn't anyone I'm dying to see. And the inclusion of Kanye is enough to keep me far, far away.
Saw him at Lolla 2006 over Manu Chao. Really, really, really, really bad idea. Still regretting it to this day.
Old 06-19-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
What happened with Kanye and Metallica? Heard bad things about both. Could see both not fitting will at Bonnaroo
Old 06-20-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beavis69
What happened with Kanye and Metallica? Heard bad things about both. Could see both not fitting will at Bonnaroo
I did not hear anything bad about Metallica and found their fans to be a good addition to the festival, actually. I probably saw at least one person with a Metallica shirt on at every show I attended.

Kanye was originally supposed to have his set at 8:30 pm on the second largest stage. Then, he demanded a late night set on the largest stage at 2:30 am. He was accommodated. However, this wasn't good enough for him either. He didn't want any other bands playing while he was onstage. I wasn't at the Phil Lesh and Friends late night set but was told the next day that Phil Lesh was forced to cut his show early and said something along the lines of "Apparently, we're not allowed to finish our set, so Kanye can start his light show." Kanye did not take the stage until damn near 4:30 am, ironically just as the sun was coming up. I didn't stick around but was told that he played for about 45 minutes (scheduled to have an hour and a half set) and that the crowd was really sparse by the time he was done. Not once did he apologize to the crowd for being late or thank the crowd for sticking around. In fact, he didn't acknowledge the audience once during the entire set.
Old 06-20-08, 12:25 PM
Suspended

That's Kanye alright.

E
Old 06-20-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheff
Saw him at Lolla 2006 over Manu Chao. Really, really, really, really bad idea. Still regretting it to this day.
I'm looking forward to the next Manu Chao show.
Old 06-20-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Cause it's Houston?

If you want to see good live music, I think you have to move to Austin.

What is funny is that Austin gets the ACL fest but most of the big traveling shows skip Austin and play in San Antonio Dallas and Houston.
Old 06-22-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am extremely peeved about wilco and rage against the machine having the same set times. really torn on what to do there.
Old 06-22-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkdevo
i am extremely peeved about wilco and rage against the machine having the same set times. really torn on what to do there.
I saw Rage at last year's Vegoose. The band was good, but they insisted on bringing their own sound system. The festival's sound system was great. Rage's sounded like shit. A friend of mine is a sound guy, and a buddy of his working the festival told him that Rage was using a 15 year old sound system.

I'd see Wilco.
Old 06-23-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm definitely leaning towards wilco, as i've seen rage before (though not since '99), and wasn't able to get tix to wilco when they were in ct a few months ago.
Old 08-01-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
My wife and I went to Galapalooza, Lollpalooza's VIP opening night party, last night.

Look who we ran into

Old 08-01-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2J850
How come Houston never gets good concerts?! It seems all the good bands skip this city, and if they do come they don't come back for years.
It could be worse... you could live in Charlotte, North Carolina. Even though Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina (by far), bands almost never come here. In fact, if you want to see bands you have to drive to:

Atlanta, if you want to see a big artist on an "arena tour" (around 3 hours drive, plus hotel and food).

Chapel Hill, if you want to see new, upcoming bands playing for the college crowd at UNC. It's around a 2.5 hour drive, which makes it too close to spend the night, yet a pain in the ass to drive back at 2am. when a lot of these smaller shows end.

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, either "goth" or "emo", but many in my social circle are. Most of us also grew up in the 80s. So when The Cure played here recently it was like... "the biggest thing ever!" for my crowd. In fact, almost every single one of my friends went to the show, and many expressed disbelief that I'd miss "the one cool show that's ever come to Charlotte". FWIW, I saw The Cure in 1989 and in 1995, and am very much "over them".

I guess it doesn't bother me that much, since most of the bands I like these days don't tour the US at all, or when they do it's of the "New York - Chicago - Los Angeles - San Francisco" kind of "tour".
Old 08-01-08, 11:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
It could be worse... you could live in Charlotte, North Carolina. Even though Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina (by far), bands almost never come here. In fact, if you want to see bands you have to drive to:

Atlanta, if you want to see a big artist on an "arena tour" (around 3 hours drive, plus hotel and food).

Chapel Hill, if you want to see new, upcoming bands playing for the college crowd at UNC. It's around a 2.5 hour drive, which makes it too close to spend the night, yet a pain in the ass to drive back at 2am. when a lot of these smaller shows end.

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, either "goth" or "emo", but many in my social circle are. Most of us also grew up in the 80s. So when The Cure played here recently it was like... "the biggest thing ever!" for my crowd. In fact, almost every single one of my friends went to the show, and many expressed disbelief that I'd miss "the one cool show that's ever come to Charlotte". FWIW, I saw The Cure in 1989 and in 1995, and am very much "over them".

I guess it doesn't bother me that much, since most of the bands I like these days don't tour the US at all, or when they do it's of the "New York - Chicago - Los Angeles - San Francisco" kind of "tour".
how very true... bands also seem to include Philly once in a while and decide that's it in terms of how south they'll travel - Washington DC? ... meh too far.
Old 08-02-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can see a live webcast of most of the performances at this link:

http://www.attblueroom.com/music/Lol...ve-webcast.php
Old 08-02-08, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
You can see a live webcast of most of the performances at this link:

http://www.attblueroom.com/music/Lol...ve-webcast.php
Thanks! Turned it on right now just in time for Explosions in the Sky.