DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Music you CAN'T BELIEVE you used to like (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/523887-music-you-cant-believe-you-used-like.html)

creekdipper 02-02-08 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
God only knows... but my wife, her sister, and her friend were all very excited about it the other night.

Awwww riiiiighhtt!!! Time to dig out that NKOTB merchandise that we purchased for .10 as clearance items.

I knew that if we waited long enough we turn a profit!

Regarding the OP's question, I guess it's a tossup between some pretty bad 60's stuff (Gary Lewis & the Playboys, Herman's Hermits, etc., Crazy World of Arthur Brown, etc.) and some of the more pretentious prog. rock (Marillion, some ELP, Yes, Rick Wakeman, etc. that seemed really "cool" at the time...can anyone say "Moog Synthesizer"?). I still like some of the afore-mentioned bands before they went into self-indulgent phases & started putting out albums that consisted of entire sides devoted to one song. Even classic rockers such as Jethro Tull succumbed to that temptation.

Also just about any glam-rock stuff.

There probably is worse stuff, but those come to mind quickly since I never got into disco.

auto 02-02-08 12:50 PM

Maybe some ska punk bands...other than that everything pretty much holds up

abintra 02-02-08 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I've purged my CD collection several times:

Winger
Slaughter
Firehouse
Mr. Big
Ratt
Warrant
Most of my Def Leopard
Poison
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Mötley Crüe
Whitesnake
White Lion

Dear lord, I sure did listen to a lot of stupid shit growing up.

I'm sure there are lots of others, Oh yes... Yanni! (Don't ask)

I'll toss in Trixter, Danger Danger and Pretty Boy Floyd also.

I did re-listen to a few of the quoted bands recently and there were still a couple of songs that I found to be decent (a couple on Lean Into It come to mind). Certainly no worse than some of what gets played currently on the radio or something like Squizz.

Jason 02-02-08 04:49 PM

I'd say the one thing I can't believe I made such a big deal out of was thrash/speed metal. I was a huge Maiden fan, along with Dio, Sabbath, and the like. But I also worshiped Megadeth and made my college roommate (who liked pop metal) listen to Slayer. I don't even recall liking some of it at the time, but it was just so fast and hard it must be good, right? After getting back into metal, I've not listened to any of the thrash stuff, old or new. It's pointless.

saoirse 02-02-08 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Current 93, Nurse With Wound, or Coil... ?

Please send all these to me. I love them. You can add Clock DVA and Psychic TV to that list too.

Nick Danger 02-02-08 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Awwww riiiiighhtt!!! Time to dig out that NKOTB merchandise that we purchased for .10 as clearance items.

I knew that if we waited long enough we turn a profit!

Regarding the OP's question, I guess it's a tossup between some pretty bad 60's stuff (Gary Lewis & the Playboys, Herman's Hermits, etc., Crazy World of Arthur Brown, etc.) and some of the more pretentious prog. rock (Marillion, some ELP, Yes, Rick Wakeman, etc. that seemed really "cool" at the time...can anyone say "Moog Synthesizer"?). I still like some of the afore-mentioned bands before they went into self-indulgent phases & started putting out albums that consisted of entire sides devoted to one song. Even classic rockers such as Jethro Tull succumbed to that temptation.

Also just about any glam-rock stuff.

There probably is worse stuff, but those come to mind quickly since I never got into disco.

Oh dear. I forgot about Rick Wakeman and ELP. Guilty as charged.

But I still like Close to the Edge and Thick as a Brick.

wendersfan 02-03-08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Rick Wakeman and ELP

:eek:

Thanks for reminding me.

Doug Heffernan 06-19-08 11:48 AM

Rush

cungar 06-19-08 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Oh dear. I forgot about Rick Wakeman and ELP. Guilty as charged.

But I still like Close to the Edge and Thick as a Brick.

Close to the Edge is only listenable after 4-5 bong hits. Without that it's an hour of grueling progressive rock.

Damed 06-19-08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I've purged my CD collection several times:

Winger
Slaughter
Firehouse
Mr. Big
Van Halen
Ratt
(Do you see a pattern here?)
Warrant
Most of my Def Leopard
Yes
Poison
Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Spryper
Mötley Crüe
Whitesnake
Journey
Europe
White Lion
Kix

Dear lord, I sure did listen to a lot of stupid shit growing up.

I'm sure there are lots of others, Oh yes... Yanni! (Don't ask)

And all you people that said Rush can just go suck it! :p

Faster Pussycat is noticeably missing from that list :lol:

The Bus 06-19-08 04:51 PM

Richard "Humpty" Vision? I just bought one of his CDs like four years ago. The House Connection, an album he did with Bad Boy Bill.

Shit, I bought White Town's Women in Technology like two years ago. And this past week I almost bought Rocket, which had this song on it:

There's certainly CDs I may not listen to as much, but nothing I'm embarassed of.