DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Music you CAN'T BELIEVE you used to like (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/523887-music-you-cant-believe-you-used-like.html)

nodeerforamonth 01-30-08 09:14 PM

I guess Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Boston, and Rush. Not having any older siblings, I was forced to go out and find music for myself. I really didn't know of anything else out there. I had to discover it all alone.

wishbone 01-30-08 10:24 PM

I have always enjoyed different kinds of music so I do not mind revisiting songs I may have listened to a lot in the past. It is hard to get past piss poor production values though, especially on some metal albums.

I walked through a Best Buy once and the Bee Gees were playing on the PA. I think I smiled or nodded my head because one of the young employees saw my expression and said that he noticed that I was grooving to the music. With a chuckle I informed him that it was a part of growing up in the '70s. :lol:

PopcornTreeCt 01-30-08 10:41 PM

Put me down for Limp Bizkit. Ugh, I can't believe what I used to listen to.

Rockmjd23 01-30-08 10:59 PM

Nothing really. Everything that I've liked I can find value in, though I'm sure lots of people would disagree.

Giantrobo 01-30-08 11:08 PM

I don't regret anything I've listened too because I like what I like. I don't lsten because it's the latest fad or some shit like that.

Rypro 525 01-31-08 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by reubs82
In high school I had albums by Korn and Limp Bizkit. I no longer have those. Other stuff I listened to in HS I break out every now and then (like The Offspring). I'm more ashamed to say I had the Korn and LB music, though...

The first album by Korn is still worth owning. Now mostly everything else after that... not really.

UAIOE 01-31-08 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Put me down for Limp Bizkit. Ugh, I can't believe what I used to listen to.

At least you have cleansed yourself of those past sins and have moved on to better music.

You have, right? You weren't one of those 5 people that bought the final LB album, were you?

Adrian 01-31-08 05:24 AM

Linkin Park

jdodd 01-31-08 09:57 AM

I had the first Crazytown album. ("Come my lady, come come my lady...")

Nah, just kiddin'. No one's that stupid.

DRG 01-31-08 11:19 AM

A lot of early 90s techno. There were some fun tracks in there but there was also a lot of garbage.

On a similar note, I went through an 'industrial' phase. Stuff like Nine Inch Nails and Ministry still holds up today, but a lot of it is unlistenable to me now.

And I used to love Helloween's "Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2" but now I can't comprehend what I ever even remotely enjoyed about it.

xfilefanfreak 01-31-08 11:57 AM

kid rock ...yuck

orangecrush 01-31-08 12:05 PM

In high school I was really into the 3 chord punk rockers and ska. I can occasionly listen to a few songs I liked back then, but not for very long.

deadlax 01-31-08 02:07 PM

the doors.

SubZeri 01-31-08 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Promethean
During the latter part of the 90s, when I was in high school, it seemed like everyone (in Southern California at least) was into "deep house" music.

Then they were about 10 years late to the party....

It's similar to techno and rave music.
Hmmm aside from electronic beats, deep house and "rave music" aren't all that similar at all.

One of the cds I had was by Richard "Humpty" Vision. Today, just that name would turn me off, but those were different times back then.
Haha that's classic. Humpty Vission would be like owning a Poison cd and then being glad you weren't into rock music. Shame, because even a sliver of an idea about the subject would tell how much amazing tunage you've missed out on....oh well, more for us.....

Lateralus 01-31-08 06:36 PM

I've purged my CD collection several times:

Winger
Slaughter
Firehouse
Mr. Big
Van Halen
Ratt
(Do you see a pattern here?)
Warrant
Most of my Def Leopard
Yes
Poison
Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Spryper
Mötley Crüe
Whitesnake
Journey
Europe
White Lion
Kix

Dear lord, I sure did listen to a lot of stupid shit growing up.

I'm sure there are lots of others, Oh yes... Yanni! (Don't ask)

And all you people that said Rush can just go suck it! :p

islandclaws 01-31-08 06:37 PM

Growing up in the 90's I have plenty to be ashamed of. Off the top of my head: Vanilla Ice and M.C. Hammer, although they were majorly popular at the time so that's my excuse. I also listened to some crappy nu-metal in the late 90's, like Limp Bizkit and later Korn albums. I've since purged my music collection of anything that makes me embarassed to be listening to by myself.

Lateralus 01-31-08 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DRG

On a similar note, I went through an 'industrial' phase. Stuff like Nine Inch Nails and Ministry still holds up today, but a lot of it is unlistenable to me now.

I had a 'industrial phase' as well and the only one I still enjoy listening too is Ministry, they are a band that never gets old.

SFranke 01-31-08 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I had a 'industrial phase' as well and the only one I still enjoy listening too is Ministry, they are a band that never gets old.

Same here, except I don't like Ministry any more at all. I really only cared for Twitch, Land of Rape and Honey, and The Mind Is..., but they all sound empty to me now. I now think Industrial music is/was a field dominated by folks who were much better and creative at production than song writing.

And all you people that said Rush can just go suck it!

Preach it.

7Keys 01-31-08 08:23 PM

The majority of the stuff I once liked, I still like.

I guess I would have to go with Warrant, Poison, Cinderalla etc. But they still have songs I like, I'm just not hardcore about them.

As well as some "punk" bands. For a while it was all I listened to.

I also liked some gangster rap for about a week or so.

Giantrobo 01-31-08 09:50 PM

And all you people that said Rush can just go suck it! :p

:lol: :up:

Norm de Plume 01-31-08 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't regret anything I've listened too because I like what I like. I don't lsten because it's the latest fad or some shit like that.

:thumbsup:

johnbook 02-01-08 02:17 AM

I've purged my CD collection several times:

Winger
Slaughter
Firehouse
Mr. Big
Van Halen
Ratt
(Do you see a pattern here?)
Warrant
Most of my Def Leopard
Yes
Poison
Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Spryper
Mötley Crüe
Whitesnake
Journey
Europe
White Lion
Kix

:p

Man this looks alot like part of my cd collection, loved it in the 80's still love it today, these bands get the most play on my ipod.

johnbook 02-01-08 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I actually own several Poison albums. The shame.

So do i love them all, no shame in that.

johnbook 02-01-08 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
The only one that really comes to mind is Stryper. That's the only one that's truly cringe-worthy, to me - but damn if I didn't love them at the time.

Go back and listen to "To hell with the Devil" great stuff.

Sanitarium 02-01-08 09:43 PM

I listened to Limp Bizkit as a pimple faced teen. Listening to it now, yuck.